Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

When start to drink coconut

This is a discussion on When start to drink coconut within the Year 2011 and earlier Mummy forum, part of the Mummy Meeting Place category; Understand we need to drink coconut before we deliver. Just wonder when can we start drinking ....

Worthy Lady

When start to drink coconut

Understand we need to drink coconut before we deliver. Just wonder when can we start drinking .

Imperial Concubine

Re: When start to drink coconut

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    Understand we need to drink coconut before we deliver. Just wonder when can we start drinking .
    I have been drinking since 33 weeks, about once or twice a week

Female Attendant mummiestarries's Avatar

You can start drinking it during the last month of your pregnancy.
    Two times a week, drink only the young coconut and avoid the old ones.

In the beginning, go slow. Try to drink half only then slowly increase in amount, as coconut is cooling.

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by mummiestarries View Post

In the beginning, go slow. Try to drink half only then slowly increase in amount, as coconut is cooling.

oh.. so i can start drinking .. since i am approaching my 36 weeks. Thank you so much.

Imperial Concubine

Any idea what is the use of drinking the coconut juice?

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2009 View Post
    Tender coconut water (elaneer / nariyal pani) is one of the richest sources of electrolytes. It is high in chlorides, potassium, and magnesium and has a moderate amount of sugar, sodium and protein. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and heart function. Coconut water is also a good source of dietary fibre, manganese, calcium, riboflavin and Vitamin C.

A natural isotonic beverage with similar levels of electrolytes as the human body, coconut water helps prevent dehydration and relieves exhaustion by replenishing the natural salts lost by the body; it is widely used in tropical countries as a means for oral rehydration needed during diarrhoeal attacks.

It is essentially fat free and has zero cholesterol and some studies have reported that it can have some effect on improving "good" cholesterol levels (HDL) in the body. In the heat of summer when you are looking for something other than water to quench your thirst, you can have this nutritious and refreshing beverage instead of sugar and calorie laden aerated drinks and fruit juices. It is naturally sterile and so perfect for drinking while travelling without the fear of contamination.

Coconut water is a natural diuretic and so increases the flow of urine; this helps prevent urinary tract infections (UTI) as well as reduces the incidence of kidney stones. Coconut water also helps relieve constipation, improves intestinal function and promotes digestive health - it is often recommended to people suffering from acidity and ulcers.

Constipation, sluggish digestion and heartburn are common problems during pregnancy and can be helped to some extent by drinking coconut water.

Coconut water contains high levels of lauric acid which is what is used by the body to make monolaurin - a disease fighting fatty acid derivative. Lauric acid has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which protect the body against various infections and boosts the immune system.

With such wide ranging nutritional benefits it is no wonder that coconut water is recommended for pregnant women.

I was told by my mum and grandmother that drinking coconut juice will make the baby look not so bloody when he comes out.
    dont know if this is true but my son came out of me quite clean.

Or maybe this is just what old people believes?

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    oh.. so i can start drinking .. since i am approaching my 36 weeks. Thank you so much.

No problem~!! I'm glad that i can help =)

Imperial Concubine

I was told by my mum and grandmother that drinking coconut juice will make the baby look not so bloody when he comes out.

Thats what people have told me too but I wonder if there's any scientific explanation to that.

Imperial Concubine

i heard about the part about the bloody portion of the story.

Any idea is there a particular reason why we can drink it earlier since it has so much "good" in it?

Worthy Lady

My mum also say drinking coconut will make baby cleaner when delivered, but she said not to drink too much as it might weaken your legs and will not have strength to push.
    I drink coconut when i was in 37 weeks

No problem~!! I'm glad that i can help =)

Hey mummiestarries, my baby is due on 1 sep 2009. Im planning to name him as Xavier too... Nice name... We have a good choice for the names...

Quote Originally Posted by SexyFlor View Post
    Hey mummiestarries, my baby is due on 1 sep 2009. Im planning to name him as Xavier too... Nice name... We have a good choice for the names...
    Hahas =) yeah, nice name. good choice~

So we cant drink coconut water earlier in the pregnancy..??

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by izanyzam View Post
    So we cant drink coconut water earlier in the pregnancy..??
    Some people advise not to as it's "cooling".
    I think you can check with your gynae.
    LOL I everything also ask gynae... even when it comes to baby bed -_-''

kym

No, not to drink coconut juice in your early stage, too cold and no good to baby's lung (that's what my friend told me). some food should take less during early pregnancy, like cucumber, orange, watermelon as these are cooling fruits. All these 'cooling' fruits/foods may be the cause of baby caugh or ashma.
    and no water for baby for the first 3 months, just milk will do. if baby constipation, dilute the milk instad of water

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by kym View Post
    No, not to drink coconut juice in your early stage, too cold and no good to baby's lung (that's what my friend told me). some food should take less during early pregnancy, like cucumber, orange, watermelon as these are cooling fruits. All these 'cooling' fruits/foods may be the cause of baby caugh or ashma.
    and no water for baby for the first 3 months, just milk will do. if baby constipation, dilute the milk instad of water
    so when is considered a "good time" to start to drink coconut? can eat the coconut flesh?

Imperial Concubine

so when is considered a "good time" to start to drink coconut? can eat the coconut flesh?
    Week 36 onwards?

Worthy Lady

i start to drink in the last month of pregnancy , actually can only drink on the last pregnancy , not early stage .

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by JusMum View Post
    i start to drink in the last month of pregnancy , actually can only drink on the last pregnancy , not early stage .
    Thank you for the advise.

My auntie and colleague told me to start taking Coconut water when i am 8 months pregnant. That time is the best. Becos they told me, during the pregnancy you take in a lot of heaty stuff. Makig it difficult to deliver when the time comes. So taking that makes the delivery smoother. But i did not hear them talking about the bloody part.

Can share?

But my mum told me not to drink. But anyway i still drink. I drink like 2 weeks once. Shld be fine. I even ate the flesh.

Cheers,
    Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Triquetra View Post
    Tender coconut water (elaneer / nariyal pani) is one of the richest sources of electrolytes. It is high in chlorides, potassium, and magnesium and has a moderate amount of sugar, sodium and protein. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and heart function. Coconut water is also a good source of dietary fibre, manganese, calcium, riboflavin and Vitamin C.

A natural isotonic beverage with similar levels of electrolytes as the human body, coconut water helps prevent dehydration and relieves exhaustion by replenishing the natural salts lost by the body; it is widely used in tropical countries as a means for oral rehydration needed during diarrhoeal attacks.

It is essentially fat free and has zero cholesterol and some studies have reported that it can have some effect on improving "good" cholesterol levels (HDL) in the body. In the heat of summer when you are looking for something other than water to quench your thirst, you can have this nutritious and refreshing beverage instead of sugar and calorie laden aerated drinks and fruit juices. It is naturally sterile and so perfect for drinking while travelling without the fear of contamination.

Coconut water is a natural diuretic and so increases the flow of urine; this helps prevent urinary tract infections (UTI) as well as reduces the incidence of kidney stones. Coconut water also helps relieve constipation, improves intestinal function and promotes digestive health - it is often recommended to people suffering from acidity and ulcers.

Constipation, sluggish digestion and heartburn are common problems during pregnancy and can be helped to some extent by drinking coconut water.

Coconut water contains high levels of lauric acid which is what is used by the body to make monolaurin - a disease fighting fatty acid derivative. Lauric acid has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which protect the body against various infections and boosts the immune system.

With such wide ranging nutritional benefits it is no wonder that coconut water is recommended for pregnant women.
    WOW! Very informative.

Cheers,
    Penny