This is a discussion on Constipation within the First Trimester forum, part of the Pregnancy Forum category; anyone ever had constipation during pregnancy??? yesterday and today when i pass motion...i saw a bit of blood...so im now ...
anyone ever had constipation during pregnancy??? yesterday and today when i pass motion...i saw a bit of blood...so im now scared to pass motion........
Try to eat more fruits and vegetables. if you are taking prenatal vitamins, drink lots of water throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated.
You might also try to drink prune juice. it promotes healthy and regular bowel movements.
i always have constipation too, do drink more water and eat some prunes might help you to pass out mostion easily
I have always had constipation problems (even before preggy) and I used to find fruits (esp those good for bowel movement like bananas, dragonfruit) useful. When I was younger, i also took chinese medication like Po Chai pills.
personally, I think its important to also set aside time. I used to have problems even after downing tons of fruits and sometimes even constipation medication, as I was constantly in a hectic pace of life, right at the start in the morning.
recently, my GP prescribed a bottle of medicine and some yellow round tablets for my constipation problems, and even though he said these are 'safe' according to the medicail fraternity for pregnant women, Im still wary and try not to 'resort' to medication to solve my problem.
Ever since I stopped work this week, I found that simple things like waking up at around the same time every morning, and having a glass of water, and small bowl of milk and cornflakes, helped make things easier. It also helped that I didn't lie in bed after waking, so I think some physical movement helps.
Stay at Home Mummy
It's normal to get constipation throughout your pregnancy. This is because the hormone progestrone slows down the digestive system so your poo stays in the the body longer.
What you can do is lessen the problem is this:
1) Drink lots of water. Pregnant women should drink more than 1 liter of water a day. Having a big glass of water constantly by your side helps.
2) Stock up on fruits and vegetables. This includes dried fruits like prunes, apricots and so forth.
3) Cut back on simple carbs and low fibre foods. Opt for high fibre foods like whole meal breads, cereals and oats to help your digestive system. Flaxseed was recommended by my doc in case I have really bad constipation but so far, no probs with pooing - all I do is just eat fruits like mango, prunes, banana (contary to popular belief, ripe banana is good for constipation), and strawberries.
To help with the piles and bleeding,
1) Only poo when you need to poo.
2) When you're pooing, dont't strain and push like crazy. This causes the blood vessels around the rectum to burst and such. In other words, dont't force it out.
3) Wash and wipe with wet/damp tissue so that you dont't further damage the tissue around the rectum. If possible, wash regularly and pat dry.
Hope these tips help.
Last edited by meiteoh; 02-07-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Blogging [at] thescarfer.net
I'm in my early first trim and having constipation problem. Can't do it for a week already
After reading this thread, I would love to try yogurt and prune juice. Is it ok to eat the yogurt straight from fridge? (I mean I wonder if yogurt tastes funny being not cold!) I was adviced to not consume any cold food.