This is a discussion on anyone experience this? within the Third Trimester forum, part of the Pregnancy Forum category; hi all mtbs was hoping someone share e same encounter with me n wld be able to comment or give ...
hi all mtbs was hoping someone share e same encounter with me n wld be able to comment or give any advice. I just got back from my gynae visit n this visit is the last as i,m due for induction on coming wed 21st oct. i,m overdue as my edd is supposed to be 15th oct . but i think my ger ger is 2 comfortable inside that she refuses to come out. well this is my 1st pregynacy so i just follow whatever my gynae says or advises since i sort o put my total trust in him to know what to do. he also commented that my baby dont want to come out during my 38wks. so today when i went for my appt he checked for dilation n found out that i am 1cm dilated. so he suggested to give baby a chance till tomorrow 20th oct n @ e same time book for induction on 21st oct . both hubby n i agreeded as both hubby n i shared the same belief that since i was found to be 1 cm dilated we hope that baby will come out on her free will rather that forcing her out as in 21st but that is like e last resort since gynae says any further baby might suffer brain damage due to insufficent oxgen which after hearing i was quite worried. n i also chk with him hw mani wks i was exaclty as all along i thot that i was 40wks ( did my own calculation) n he told me i was oredi 41wks. he did mention before edd is oni a gauge n its plus minus 1wk. i wld like to know is my scenario normal ? or any comment on this situation ? shld my gynae suggest induction long ago or???? thks
yup its better to get induced if you r past 40 weeks.Placenta becomes less effective after 40 weeks onwards.N i had some friends who induced after EDD.N their babies looked like "old"..wrinkled skin n stuff.But most impt of all is tht baby might not do well past 40 weeks.Wld you be willing to risk it n just wait n see.Even though you r 1cm dilated..you can remain tht way for the whole week..so thts still a long time to wait.
Better to get induced for the sake of the baby.
i think betta b induced cos nutrients in the placenta wld not b sufficient n of cos oxygen too n amniotic fluid wld b dropping too.. Since it's already more than full term so no worries of inmature organs.. Rather not take the risk of waiting... Just an opinion
my daughter and son is born at 38 and 37 weeks respectively. I had asked gynea before and he said that the placenta will age by EDD so better do something once you reach your EDD. My girl is naturally contraction while my boy is induced. For induction, nurse will 'artificially stimulate contraction'by putting in something through below you. For my boy, he did not respond to the first tablet but 6 hours later, nurses inserted the next one and contraction started....good luck to you and take care. hope you have a smooth delivery...
hi pink kitty.
my gynea is quite eager to get baby out before end of 40 weeks. i m 38weeks now. at 37 weeks he already started doing membrane sweep n told me to walk stairs more to help induce labour naturally first. he also explained that the longer we wait past 40 weeks, the higher the risk on baby due to age of placenta, and baby might start to poo in the uterus and then baby will start eating own poo. not good for baby.
this is also my first preg, and am trusting my gyne. intending to follow his advise. i was 1cm dilated at 37 weeks, but had very little contractions on the CGT monitoring. gyne was a little concerned with the lack of contractions. so am praying very hard for more contractions and smooth natural delivery too.
always paranoid at the back of my mind.
Hi i'm also a first time mtb, can't give any advice, hope you have fast & smooth induction!!
under normal circumstances, gynae usually will ask you to wait for birth to occur naturally..
and induction is attempted due to certain factors like for e.g: baby is getting too big/ baby not doing well in womb/ mummy's health problems/ mummy already experiencing cervix dilation/ ``overdue babies'' (beyond 40 weeks)....etc....
i had given births 2 times both natural and thru induction. Let me share with you the 2 times:
1st time/ baby gal/ weight at birth: 3.605 kg, 39 weeks--> gynae advised induction as during gynae check, my cervix already dilated by 4 cm! Was also experiencing slight bleeding with no contractions. So had to be induced. Labour took approx. 5 hours.
2nd time (about 2 months ago) / baby boy/ weight at birth: 3.63 kg--> gynae advised induction as baby was already > 3.6 kg at 37 weeks and i was 2 cm dilated. If I waited few more days--> my boy could have been > 4 kg and natural birth might not b possible for me. Labour took less than 2 hours..
But do bear in mind ...as induction relies on medication to cause contractions and artificial bursting of waterbag...carries a risk that you may not be able to deliver naturally (if medication doesnt work on you: i.e. if dilation doesnt progress till 10 cm). Or if the baby/ mummy is experiencing some kind of unexpected health problems during the process then gynae may ask you to go for C-section...
But dont worry since your baby is mature enuff, shouldnt be any prob for natural birth...like my colleague who was also induced at 41 weeks, given birth naturally a boy (3.7 kg at birth)
Good Luck! hope my experiences helped...
hi mummies.. me too going for induction this coming friday or monday.. and my gynae did not check for dilation.. anyway, just wanna ask.. for induction is it more painful than natural birth?
Induction is a process (by medication and bursting of waterbag...supposedly to result in natural birth).
For pain relief: you can opt for epidural...super good...i dont feel pain after epidural has been administered--> usually after bursting of waterbag as my gynae wants to ensure minimising the usage of epidural in case the birth process takes hours (epidural runs out after few hours depending on the amount of use: the more drip, the faster it runs out). for kiasu mummies, can request for it prior to even bursting of waterbag (bursting of bag is quite painful...)
thanks for the advice.. but i think i won't opt for epidural.. coz i'm more afraid of needle poking into my spine.. but will see how situation goes.. hopefully my determination can win over my body "signal".. now at least i know bursting of waterbag more painful.. hopefully i can survive
Hi , i did encounter this situation , but not exactly the same . My due date for my 1st baby was 12 june 2009 .. But i gave birth after my due date .. The doctor check on me saying that the baby doesn't want to come out .. haha .. Not even an inch diluted .. She asked me if I felt any pains at home or whatsoever .. But than , I was be to warded on the day of my check-up . Induction was given and ya , I got myself epidural ..
It's true what the doctor said , yes , you need give an early birth not overdue or something to keep the baby safe .
Last edited by adlieyn; 21-10-2009 at 11:58 AM.