This is a discussion on Pregnancy Taboos ? within the General Pregnancy Discussion forum, part of the Pregnancy Forum category; I've heard of some food taboos from my sis-in-law, but sometimes i suspect she's a little too over. She listed ...
I've heard of some food taboos from my sis-in-law, but sometimes i suspect she's a little too over. She listed so many stuffs that i couldnt take, & now i dont know which is true & which is not.
These are the stuffs she told me not to consume during pregnancy: -
- Apple/Orange juice
- Cold drinks
- Ice cream
- Potato leaves/'Kang Kong'
- Salted Vegetables
Are all these really food that expectant women should not consume ?
Other than food, she also told me i must not squat & tip-toe as well.
She nags a lot when i go to bed late. She says if i dont sleep at the proper bedtime, next time my baby will follow the same pattern. Really ?
I know we're not supposed to attend funerals. What about visiting patients at hospital ?
y cannot squat? squatting is good esp if you want to go for natural birth!! i squatted daily that time haha! and for bedtime, i think all NB babies sleeping time same: HAYWIRE!!! they sleep more in e day, wake up at night, nth to do with the mother.
for funeral, if not close one, then dont go.. but what if it happen that the person is a very close relative? but for this, most ppl can understand if you didnt turn up. Hospital: hmm... also depends on you. for me i not pantang but i'm more afriad of the germs. haha!
Okay, i'm gonna satisfy some of my cravings !
Too much of "this cannot, that cannot" is killing me !
i agree with apollo because any food taken in moderation will be ok. but just be careful with cold drink and water-melon during the first trimester. you can have them more often after first trimester onwards.
i have friends who drink a cup of coffee everyday during pregnancy and still fine with it.
if you ask doctors, they will only ask you to avoid raw food like sushi and alcohol. other food taken in moderation are ok.
take care all mum-to-be's!
I've started munching on juicy oranges & other fruits too !
Cold soya milk & ice water in this hot weather.... Shiokkkkkk !!
These are the stuffs she told me not to consume during pregnancy: -
Instead of listening to those 'tales', it's best to consult your OB personally..
- Apple/Orange juice I never heard of cannot take.. to me, it's FAR better than taking canned sugared drinks..
- Watermelon I take those too coz it was jan-mar, the weather was FREAKING hot.. watermelon helps me feel cool..
- Cold drinks I only had cold drinks throughout my whole pregnancy.. i'm not a warm drink person.. never like those.. my mum too, only had cold drink throughout her pregnancies.. she was lucky that there's no mother in law to come n nag/haunt after her..
- Ice cream No harm too.. For better benefits, choose those with high calcium.. but mind the fat value, sugar n calories ok..
- Coffee/Tea This should be avoided due to caffine, but one cup a day is fine.. Note that even Coke is under this catergory.. I'm fine coz i'm not a coffee or tea person..
- Potato leaves/'Kang Kong' never heard of.. i take all greens as they are..
- Salted Vegetables never heard of.. I still love my kiam cais..
- Crabs Had a few only as i was too lazy.. hahah..
- Mutton never heard that cannot eat.. But i myself dont't eat mutton
if cannot squat, thn how last time women poop before toilet bowls were invented?
Last edited by Amulet; 01-10-2010 at 04:34 PM.
amulet, i'm pretty similar to you!
i still drink apple/orange juice and i think they are much healthier than soft drinks which i always crave for!
i still drink cold drinks.. i eat watermelons.. i even ate cheng tng but i limit myself to probably once a week.
i have not't ate any crabs, but wont mind eating haha..
i drink canned drinks (coke/coke light) at most 1x a day or every alternate days. i totally cut on my caffine from coffee/tea.
i was told not to squat but then again, i read from yoga websites squatting helps in delivery! so.. i am not too sure on this. though i think as long as we dont squat too long, it should be ok?
in all, i think moderation is the key.. my gynae says no problem to all the food mentioned above, so i just enjoy my diet as long as i have appetite :P
I have eaten every single item that you have listed.........
As for my caffeine intake, I have greatly reduced it. From 3 cups of coffee daily before I got pregnant , to 1 cup of tea daily nowadays.
I guess that I consider great improvement already...
i feel that of all pregnancy taboos, this HIGH importance one is simply to keep away from alcohol, cigg(2nd hand smoke included), and unnecessary drug usage.. other than that, do and eat in moderation..
I saw some pregnant women, keep along with those pregnancy taboo myths, but still smoke throughout their pregnancy.. sigh..
I m a coffee person too.. must have a cup of kopi or tea in the morning or else I will yawn n yawn none stop n feeling tired. But since I m pregnant, I try to drink half a cup or maybe coffee with more water and less sugar but doesn't taste that nice anymore
Read some info from Chinese Physician, they warned about taking barley and ginseng. But I thought ginseng is a good tonic for both mother and baby? Any mommies out there that have been taking ginseng since the pregnancy?? How about birdnest??
I took all the items that you listed while I was expecting... It's ok to eat just keep in mind moderation & variety. Variety to ensure you get a variety of nutrients. Really it is up to individual whether you want to follow or not. As for cooling & heaty food, supposedly not to take any cooling food... But if your body is too heaty it will also be bad. I took plenty of cooling food as my body is generally heaty. I even ate sashimi as I had cravings for it... But of course I took in moderation & only went to reputable restaurants.
My personal take is that if following such restrictions makes me uncomfortable or unhappy... I won't follow coz I believe in happy mummy = happy baby.
- Apple/Orange juice apple is good for your health and baby, but orange better dont take.
- Watermelon what they say is watermelon is "cold food", i didnt eat watermelon at all so i not really sure
- Cold drinks my gynae said "who say cant drink?" when i ask him can or not. LOL. so i just drink
- Ice cream nothing happened to me when i eat icecream during pregnancy, but dont eat too much , if not run toilet not good .
- Coffee/Tea coffee i think not good for health and baby, tea they say too "cold", i drink neither of them
- Potato leaves/'Kang Kong' i only heard ppl say that eat that will leg cramp, not sure about it
- Salted Vegetables unknown
- Crabs what i know is old ppl say eat crab baby hand will very "itchy".
- Mutton not sure
Early Pregnancy Risk With Ginseng
try googling on that.. many articles available.
bird nest can take, but in moderate amt.. excessive intake of bird's nest during pregnancy is said to cause allergies and asthma in babies after birth..
normally renshen is just called ginseng while yangshen is called american ginseng..
another chinese herb to avoid during pregnancy is Angelica Root or dang gui..