Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

This is a discussion on Breastfeeding within the Confinement Period forum, part of the You and Your Family category; Hi all, On the norm, how long do you breastfeed your child? and how to stop if you intend to? ...

Female Attendant
    Holland Ave

Hi all,

On the norm, how long do you breastfeed your child? and how to stop if you intend to? and if you bf, we are not having menses, how do we know we pregnant? As i read in the papers, breastfeeing is 95% effective for birth control method.

Please advise.

Re: Breastfeeding

1) WHO recommends to breastfeed for 6 mths though many has gone over 6 mths.

2) Stop by dragging the intervals between each feed

3) Breastfeeding is not a birth control

4) If you're not having menses and gets pregnant, only way to find out is via HPK

like what DIYmummy said, WHO recommand mothers to exclusively breastfeed their babies for minimum of 6 months.. some moms stop upon 6 months, most continued, some did child-led weaning.. i breastfed for almost 2 years.. our weaning is half child-led, half due to me slacking..

most mom's doesn't have their menses throughout their breastfeeding period.. some came back around 6-9months later wen their demand went down.. mine came back on the 3rd month, and once in 3 months until the 3rd cycle thn it came regularly monthly..

i guess if you are not having mense and yet falls pregnant, the only way to know is through other symtomps and test kit ..

but quite a number of moms i know fell pregnant a few months after giving birth coz they thought breastfeeding lower chance of getting pregnant..

Imperial Concubine

WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, meaning no introduction of any other liquids or solids till then..and for babies to be breastfed for two years or more.

Breastfeeding's contraceptive effect can delay the return of fertility in many women, who exclusively breastfeed their babies of less than six months of age, and have not recommenced their menstrual cycle. Same as above for exclusively breastfeeding and also breastfeeding every 2-3 hours around the clock. I think at night it's 5 hours...I can't remember.

As what i know. its 6 months, no water or everything. its only a breastfeed.. baby may breastfeed for 20-40 mins per breast and 3-5 times per day...