This is a discussion on Chinese confinement practices within the Confinement Period forum, part of the You and Your Family category; hi dear mummies, I saw this from a Chinese Confinement website and sharing with you if you interested Chinese confinement ...
hi dear mummies,
I saw this from a Chinese Confinement website and sharing with you if you interested
Chinese confinement practices
by admin ~ February 1st, 2008
Chinese confinement practices are one of those things that our moms and grandmas force it down our throats.
Things include :
1) No bathing for 12 days after birth
2) No exposing ourselves and we must wrapped ourselves including wear socks
3) No drinking of water except soups and special rice tea and dates tea
4) No climbing stairs
5) No vegetables and most foods
So, for the first two babies, it was a long struggle with my mom. Worst is my mom-in-law and meddling sis-in-laws. Of course, I hardly follow any of the above except what I enjoy. When my mom died, it was total freedom. When I had my fifth baby, I even bathed in the hospital, 3 days after my birth. Woo hoo! Total freedom.
Do I suffer any of those things they predicted? None? Because I stick to :
1) dontít get any chills
2) Eat warm foods and those which expels wind
3) dontít exert ourselves
4) Some foods like alcohol and certain vegetables can cause our blood thinner and are diuretic, so avoid those.
5) Remind myself that my grandma came from China where the climate is sub-zero during winter and hence, she could go for weeks without bathing.
So, should we follow the Chinese Confinement practices? Follow your instinct and your own body signals. Thatís the best advice I can give. I have five births and I dontít get anything that gives me aches or pains because I listen to my body capability.
Take Care and wishing you an enjoyable and good confinement period