Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What do you eat during confinement

This is a discussion on What do you eat during confinement within the Confinement Period forum, part of the You and Your Family category; Hi Hi, What do you mummies eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner during your confinement ? I know for main ...

Smile What do you eat during confinement

Hi Hi,

What do you mummies eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner during your confinement ?

I know for main meals during lunch and dinner are more or less those 'fixed' confinement food.. Then how about breakfast? Usual breakfast that you take during pre-pregnancy or breakfast that are more nutritious and healthy and 'bu" ?

Hope to learn more from experience mums very soon... I am a soon to be 1st time mummy

Consort-in-Ordinary

Re: What do you eat during confinement

I take milo & oats for breakfast, actually throughout the day as well. Milo & oats supposedly can help boost breast milk supply.

I dont't really take a lot of the traditional confinement food like pig trotters vingear. Weirdly enough, I love this dish when I am not preggy. In confinement, I couldn't even stand the smell.

What I do eat:
    1) Greens, spinach mainly - the CL I employed previously said to get the red stemmed ones. No cooling veg like cabbage allowed.

2) Sesame oil chicken

3) Steamed fish - threadfin, salmon & cod

4) Saute Ginger with pig kidney/sliced pork

5) Homemade chicken essence

6) Ginger fried rice

7) soups like lotus root with pork ribs

8) Mee sua with kidney/sliced pork

9) Sesame oil pork slices

As you can see, my diet revolved around ginger, sesame oil and soups.
    Last edited by camom; 15-01-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Consort-in-Ordinary Phoebii Cheng's Avatar

What I ate for bf? I think it is mostly the standard, like milo or horlicks, bread, oats sometimes my CL cook for me mee sua soup

For lunch & dinner most of the things she fry with ginger or steam with ginger and sesame oil like fish (threadfin mostly), sliced pork or chicken , mostly green veges but my hubby's aunt cooked one big pot of pork with egg in vinegar......and yes the CL did boil some soup (she put dang gui, hong zao, gou ji), but not the papaya soup.....

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by camom View Post
    I take milo & oats for breakfast, actually throughout the day as well. Milo & otas supposedly can help boost breast milk supply.

I dont't really take a lot of the traditional confinement food like pig trotters vingear. Weirdly enough, I love this dish when I am not preggy. In confinement, I couldn't even stand the smell.

What I do eat:
    1) Greens, spinach mainly - the CL I employed previously said to get the red stemmed ones. No cooling veg like cabbage allowed.

2) Sesame oil chicken

6) Ginger fried rice

Yap, My CL cooked most of the above for me too. Breakfast most of the time is mee sua. If I am sick of mee sua already she will fried eggs for me to take with bread.

Smile Re: What do you eat during confinement

I take milo & oats for breakfast, actually throughout the day as well. Milo & otas supposedly can help boost breast milk supply.

What I do eat:

2) Sesame oil chicken

6) Ginger fried rice

camom, thanks alot for sharing with me! =)
    now i have a rough idea of what i can expect when i am doing my confinement.. ya , my mum also told me to either take milo or holicks...then my mother in law told me to eat bread with fried eggs etc...hehe...

but does milo and oats helped you in increasing your breastmilk supply?

Smile Re: What do you eat during confinement

Quote Originally Posted by Goldiemum View Post
    Yap, My CL cooked most of the above for me too. Breakfast most of the time is mee sua. If I am sick of mee sua already she will fried eggs for me to take with bread.

i also very sian of mee sua even i have not done my confinement..
    my milk alwys cook mee sua for me, now i very scare of eating steamed or boiled fish and mee sua lioa though i love mee suan before i am pregnant.. =P

Consort-in-Ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by iwan2noe View Post
    camom, thanks alot for sharing with me! =)into now i have a rough idea of what i can expect when i am doing my confinement.. ya , my mum also told me to either take milo or holicks...then my mother in law told me to eat bread with fried eggs etc...hehe...

Not sure if it's due to the milo & oats but I have a pretty good supply. Maybe it's also due to the increased fluid intake. But I find taking hot drinks very relaxing when in an aircon rm.

After my confinement, I started making fish soup for myself. Cook 1 week's supply on Sun and freeze into individual portions for each day. I didn't take any papaya fish soup during my confinement cos the green papaya is said to be cooling (my mom disallowed).
    Last edited by camom; 15-01-2010 at 08:10 PM.

cool i love meesua.. but i cant take too much milo due to lactose intolerance... how

Worthy Lady

i ate food as per normal actually. just no seafood or fried stuff. and my mother in law cooked some of those confinement dishes for me.

and also i drank this huiji waist tonic daily because it's non alcoholic. i was kinda paranoid that if i drank something alcholic it would make my baby into an alcholic in the future when i bf. lol.

maybe you can go look around the recipes section for ideas. i tried a few and it's not bad.

i hope this helps.

breakfast - i tend to sleep till very late last time so i will just sleep all the way till 11am, had a cup of milo then 12pm for lunch

lunch - fish with ginger (but i didnt eat e ginger), ginger pork/chk (chk is 1-2 weeks after my c-sect), vege with ginger, soup.

dinner - roughly same as lunch...

fruits - apples, cherries, orange, banana, durians, pear etc.. basically any types of fruits but didnt eat from fridge one..

but i didnt really eat alot cos appetite wasnt good that time but thru out the whole day i drank lotsa milo and ate lotsa 'soda bia' (butter crackers)

camom, thanks alot for sharing with me! =)
    now i have a rough idea of what i can expect when i am doing my confinement.. ya , my mum also told me to either take milo or holicks...then my mother in law told me to eat bread with fried eggs etc...hehe...

have a cup of warm milo right before you pump or bf your baby. i think it somehow helps =)

Worthy Lady

you ladies ate quite a variety of food during your confinement.

i only had the usual confinement dishes like pig trotters or sesame chicken.

my mother in law just cook a a big pot and just add in a dose of the waist tonic after cooking it. and i'll be having it for days.

save the trouble. but then it's better than nothing. :\

kym

hot milo, wholemeal bread with cheese, sometime chee cho fun (no black sauce) for breakfast.

Lunch will be me tai mak with lots of kai lan, broccoli and gingers, fried ginger rice, sesame oil chicken/pork, steam/pan fried fish with gingers.

Dinner will be chicken chop, sesame oil chicken/pork, fried kai lan, broccoli, pig trotters, chicken soup, steam/pan fried fish with gingers

I ate fruits like papaya, apple, honey dew, banana cherries, strawberries after every meal.

My confinement lady is a very good cook and very creative.
    Last edited by kym; 19-01-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Breakfast is my break to confinement food. I had stuff from the market like fried beehoon or pork porridge. Sometimes bread with Nutella or butter and Milo. I avoided caffeine.

Lunch and dinner I catered my confinement food. The food was terrible. And there was too much ginger. It was the standard stuff that camom mummy listed just that the taste was not good.

Frankly speaking, dont't overdose on all the confinement food like ginger and the alcohol. Get good rest, drink enough fluids and you'll be back on your feet with a good milk supply.

Worthy Lady

hi diymummy,
    which confinement caterer did you use? thanks

Imperial Concubine

I am a vegetarian and my confinement lady (an EXCELLENT cook) doesn't know how to plan vegetarian confinement menu, so I catered lunch & dinner. (Btw, I'm staying in KL.)

Breakfast: Organic baby oats, 2 slices of wholemeal bread, butter / cheese / egg, fruit
    Since I am still breastfeeding, I continue the same type of breakfast until now.
    Need a lot of nutrition to keep up with son's appetite.
    Am eating A LOT more than pre-pregnancy days, without any weight gain.
    Breastfeeding rocks!

Have a good rest during confinement!

Worthy Lady

no seafood that's for sure.

mostly normal home cooked food. just a little selective at times. i can be quite the picky eater. like no ginger or fish sometimes.

no cold drinks. i think it was until the end that i drank cold drinks.

no alcohol also as i was bf. but i drank the waist tonic from huiji which is said to be non alcoholic as recommended by the chinese doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by fern View Post
    hi diymummy,
    which confinement caterer did you use? thanks
    I used Newbaby. I wanted to use Natal Essentials but they dont't deliver to the East.

I think my confinement food doesn't look like confinement food , i eat like normal just that the food is cook with " you " , even spaggetti , is it fine ? Anyway why can't drink water , i drink the red dates keep feel very thristy & feel like dehydrating ..
    Last edited by Verona's; 26-01-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldiemum View Post
    hi,
    if your wound is still healing, Try to avoid eggs first until it healed
    I was told by taking eggs it slowed down tbd healing process..

Quote Originally Posted by Verona's View Post
    I think my confinement food doesn't look like confinement food , i eat like normal just that the food is cook with " you " , even spaggetti , is it fine ? Anyway why can't drink water , i drink the red dates keep feel very thristy & feel like dehydrating ..
    me too drink red dates Longan tea thru out the day as we r doing confinemt and this tea helps to nourishes us back to health. Pu qi pu xue..
    We can't take plain water as it will cause us to be bloated and retain water.
    This is what I m told..

If you've constipation prob,you can replace red dates with black dates as it helps to ease your poo

hope this infohelp

Consort-in-Ordinary

I drank lots of warm water everyday during my confinement besides the tea and soups. Find that only water can quench my thirst.

me too drink red dates Longan tea thru out the day as we are doing confinemt and this tea helps to nourishes us back to health. Pu qi pu xue..
    We can't take plain water as it will cause us to be bloated and retain water.
    This is what I m told..

If you've constipation prob,you can replace red dates with black dates as it helps to ease your poo

hope this infohelp
    Yeah drinking alot half a day , whole jug gone My red dates still got alot of other ingredients i think , even have ginger when i am in the hospital i love the red dates they do because i dont feel thristy one .. Do you realised you will sweat alot after every drink ? i kept sweating none stop even i try drinking a few sip of water also sweat , plus can't bath very tiring like thing & yes i have not have any bowel movement since i discharge almost a week already

I drank lots of warm water everyday during my confinement besides the tea and soups. Find that only water can quench my thirst.
    Yeah agree , if i really cannot take it i will dirnk a lil because i keep producing milk then no water also will dry up , but mother in law keep say no , so need secretly ... But hubby let me have a sip of pepsi ytd :S

Yeah drinking alot half a day , whole jug gone My red dates still got alot of other ingredients i think , even have ginger when i am in the hospital i love the red dates they do because i dont feel thristy one .. Do you realised you will sweat alot after every drink ? i kept sweating none stop even i try drinking a few sip of water also sweat , plus can't bath very tiring like thing & yes i have not have any bowel movement since i discharge almost a week already
    Yes, i perspire alot each time i drink the red dates tea..must drink hot hot cant drink cold one,but sometimes it turn colder become lukewarm no choice..sometimes add more tea to have the temp..

pls try replacing red dates with black dates to boil your tea,ok? my confinement lady say black dates is good to help bowel movements...

try ok? it may works..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast