I am a working mom. As I could neither get my parents nor parents-in-law to be care givers to my 4-month old baby, I had no choice but to put her in the infant care centre. Recently, there was an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) in the infant care centre. To minimise my girl from being exposed to HFMD, my husband and I took turns to care for her at home. However, the HFMD spread showed no signs of being suppressed, with new cases reported within a period of 2 weeks. As it wasn't possible for my husband and I to excuse from work indefinitely, we took pains to hunt for a nanny who could care for our girl in the short term. We were lucky to find one but it also meant additional cost to us as the infant care still deduct the monthly fee from our GIRO account.

Would like to hear from other moms if they have similar experiences and whether it is reasonable for parents to request the infant care centre to charge a pro rated amount in view that our girl was absent from the centre for a considerable length of time. I would be really grateful if there are moms out there who could share views / give comments. Thanks !