Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

what temperature is fever?

This is a discussion on what temperature is fever? within the Newborn Baby and Infant Care (up to 12 months old) forum, part of the Growing Up & Parenting category; hi mummies, Im a first time mum. my baby boy is just a month old. sometimes i feel his body ...

Female Attendant

what temperature is fever?

hi mummies,

Im a first time mum. my baby boy is just a month old. sometimes i feel his body very hot or like having fever. but when i check using thermometer is only like 36.6C or 36.7C. So i think his fine or is he not???

Want to ask mummies out there what is the temperature consider as fever????

Re: what temperature is fever?

36.7C or 36.6C (via rectal temp) is normal. A fever is anything above 38C (in fact, I would grade anything above 37.5C as a fever - low grade) and you should take him immediately to the hospital.

dont't worry...my baby was hitting 36.6C when I first got her back from the hospital and it was when she was fussing like crazy (flailing, crying and just refusing to sleep). We checked with the midwife the next day and was told that sometimes when babies fuss, their face will turn all red and body heats up from the crying and all but if checked with the thermometer (rectal measurement) and it's below 37C, then it's okay.

Blogging [at] thescarfer.net

Alaric was hospitalised last week(mt e)... that time nurse said 37.5 then its fever....
    dont know ley...

Kandang Kerbau Hospital said 41 then bring him back to hospital if not just sponge him... faint

Quote Originally Posted by Domique View Post
    Alaric was hospitalised last week(mt e)... that time nurse said 37.5 then its fever....
    dont know ley...

Kandang Kerbau Hospital said 41 then bring him back to hospital if not just sponge him... faint
    I think it's because Alaric is 6 months old. For newborns, the "rules" are slightly different. Best to be safe than sorry.

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by ratna View Post
    hi mummies,

Im a first time mum. my baby boy is just a month old. sometimes i feel his body very hot or like having fever. but when i check using thermometer is only like 36.6C or 36.7C. So i think his fine or is he not???

Want to ask mummies out there what is the temperature consider as fever????
    =<37.6C. is fever, we always ask this question every time when my AxL's take his 6 in 1 jab at his pediatrician and last Sat, is his last jab, we ask again. We are afraid he will have fever after taking the Jab.. Wahaha..

Worthy Lady

should always monitor the thermoter .. when i bring my boy home , i ask hubby go buy a thermometer to keep at home , paed said when you monitor is 36.5 , you have to add 0.5 to 36.5 .. so its 37'c .. 37.1 above is fever , 38'c is high fever ..

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by Domique View Post
    dont know ley...

wah, kk's standards 'very high' loh. 41 degrees for adults is already considered very dangerous!

Anything above 38.5, especially for bbs, is already very high!

Worthy Lady

I ever call Thomson Medical Center Parentcraft hotline and ask, the lady say baby temp is just like adult, anything above 37 is considered fever.
    But i ask my pediatrician, she say above 37.5.
    pediatrician said not to wrap or dress baby too hot otherwise baby body temp will go up and we end up being paranoid that baby is having fever...

Imperial Concubine

in my opinion anything above 37.5 is fever but sponging the baby first only serve paracetamol when it's above 38. That's what i've been advised by my pediatrician which happens to b my boss's brother.

yup 37.5 is fever but if it can subside on its own or by using wet sponge like what candy_ian mummy said, then dont;t give medi...

normally we'll feel baby very 'hot' but in fact the temperature is okay... last time i dont't know and was so scare, every few hours check his temperature.. his body so hot but no fever, i thought thermometer spoilt

Hi mummies, got this from Fever | BabyCenter (I find it useful coz they actually took baby's age into consideration):

Common guidelines are:

• If your baby is less than 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4 degrees F (38 degrees C) or higher, call the doctor immediately. A baby this young needs to be checked for serious infection or disease.

• For a baby between 3 and 6 months old, call if his temperature reaches 101 degrees F (38.3 degrees C) or higher.

• If your baby is 6 months or older, call if his fever reaches 103 degrees F (39.4 degrees C) or higher.

When you call, the doctor will probably ask you about other symptoms. The most important thing is how your baby looks and acts — if he has lost his appetite, has little energy, is noticeably pale or flushed, or is extremely irritable and can't be consoled, or if you notice other changes in his behavior and appearance.

Be sure to mention other symptoms, too, such as a cough, signs of ear pain, vomiting, or diarrhea. These can help the doctor make a diagnosis. She will then tell you how to care for your baby and whether you need to come into the office.
    http://simply-mommie.blogspot.com having her first giveaway! Ends 20/12/10

over here, doc says anything above 38 is fever but the temp is not really impt. most impt is to see whether they drinks n eat normally, sleeps well n plays normally etc. their behavior is more impt than the temp itself.