Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

3 yo whiningitis

This is a discussion on 3 yo whiningitis within the Toddlers and Preschoolers (1-5 years old) forum, part of the Singapore Kiasu Parents Forum category; Hi everyone, my nearly 3yo has a really bad case of whiningitis...high nasal tone, questioning "why?" and "i wants".... argh... ...

Worthy Lady
    3 yo whiningitis

Hi everyone,
    my nearly 3yo has a really bad case of whiningitis...high nasal tone, questioning "why?" and "i wants".... argh...

What I've been doing (constantly):
    Reminding - everytime - to speak in a nicer tone.
    Model correct way to ask. (Say, May I....in nice tone)
    Ask to repeat in proper manner (which he knows since he's been told and reminded so so so many times)

But... it's not going away! Short of spanking everytime, any ideas to treat this extremely annoying behavior?

Re: 3 yo whiningitis

tats whats happening to my son now also....attention seeker, super duper whiny and yeah, high nasal tone~ irritating to our ear drums....LOLs~ high frequency sound waves~

Worthy Consort
    Re: 3 yo whiningitis

When children start to seek attention, it's actually a sign to parents to pay more attention to them.

And of cos we dont wanna overdo until they get too pampered n bratty.

Ensure you are spending quality time with your child daily. At least 45min per day focusing on him/her. No TV, no distractions. Go take some toys out and play pretend with them. Or bring them down for a stroll and teach them about their surroundings.
    Sit down with them and listen to what they want to say and be interested in what they are saying.

Be thankful your child is asking 'why'. It's a sign of curiousity. Answer their questions with enthusiasm instead of putting them down. Let them develop the interest to ask and seek answers. For embarrassing questions, just make it 'matter of fact' and that's it.
    Empty vessels make the most noise