CA1 is round the corner! Here is a breakdown of the new PSLE format for English. Parents, especially those with children in P5 and P6, do take note of the changes! (:
PSLE 2015 English Components
Situational Writing (15 marks)
- Formal or informal style in the forms of letter or email
Composition Writing – (40 marks) (New Format!)
- Only 1 Question
- A theme and 3 isolated pictures related to the topic will be given
- Pupils must write according to the theme and use at least 1 picture
- This encourages openness and creativity in interpretation of the topic
Booklet A (28 marks)
- Grammar, Vocabulary & Vocabulary Cloze
- Visual Text Comprehension (New!)
- Double-page spread of a visual text (graphic stimulus)
- 8 questions
Booklet B (67 marks)
- Grammar Cloze, Editing, Comprehension Cloze, Sentence synthesis and transformation
- Open-ended Comprehension (New Format!)
- Presentation of questions in traditional and table form
- Tests skills such as sequencing & true/false justification
Listening Comprehension (20 marks)
Oral (30 marks)
- Reading Aloud (10 marks)
- Stimulus Based Question (20 marks) (New!)
- Main topic will be discussed based on visual stimulus:
Directly-linked to the topic
E.g. Look at the picture, which of these animals will you adopt?
Broadly-linked to the topic.
E.g. How can you advise your friends to be responsible pet owners?
- Stimulus may be any visual stimulus e.g. brochure, advertisement, poster etc.