Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

16 year old behaving strangely?

This is a discussion on 16 year old behaving strangely? within the General Parenting Discussion forum, part of the Growing Up & Parenting category; My son is 16 years old and he has been exhibiting some really strange behaviors. For instance, he showered normally ...

Female Attendant
    United States
    16 year old behaving strangely?

My son is 16 years old and he has been exhibiting some really strange behaviors. For instance, he showered normally up until recently. His showers suddenly started getting excessively long, to the point where he gets up at 5 to get in the shower, and gets out of the shower at 6:30 and he showers again at night from 4 to 6. He goes through soap and body wash like its noone's business. I eventually had to ask him just what the hell was going on and he responded with "I'm sorry, I dont't know....I'll buy my own body wash from now on if its bugging you." and he looked so uncomfortable. I hate to pry, or invade on his privacy especially with something on the other side of the bathroom door, so I left that one alone.

Later, I noticed that he was doing a lot of bizarre things. He would walk into a room, get visibly frustrated, and walk in and out of the room repeatedly. He'll spend a long time flicking his bedroom light switch on and off, opening and closing doors, and touching the knobs of the stove burners (I can't for the life of me figure out what that one is about)
    If I ask him about whats going on, he gets embarrassed, and gives one-three word responses ( I dont't know. Sorry. Um...) and either deflects by asking a question or excuses himself and slinks away.

I know it isn't drugs, because his school's activities require drug testing (he's in the NHS)
    He looks so uncomfortable all the time. He's such a bright, sweet kid and I want to know whats bothering him so much, but again, I dont't want to pry.

Female Attendant
    Re: 16 year old behaving strangely?

his actions dont seem normal. better to bring him to see a doctor.

Worthy Lady
    Re: 16 year old behaving strangely?

same sentiments. Perhaps he is going through a very stressful period with his school? Tell him nicely, he should know.