Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

Need to reconfirm the procedure of birth registration without marriage cert

This is a discussion on Need to reconfirm the procedure of birth registration without marriage cert within the Single Parents Support Group forum, part of the MummySG Special Group category; Hey, read some posts pertaining to child birth registration with inclusion of natural father's name and particulars without marriage cert. ...

bbc
    Female Attendant

Lightbulb Need to reconfirm the procedure of birth registration without marriage cert

Hey, read some posts pertaining to child birth registration with inclusion of natural father's name and particulars without marriage cert. Is it true that it can be done by just the appearance of both parents at ICA with taking an oath by the natural father?

I wrote to ICA and their reply seemed saying so, but they added the term "if the natural father is the informant of the child birth registration". So, what does 'the informant' mean?

Any ideas and who has experience in this?

Re: Need to reconfirm the procedure of birth registration without marriage cert

from what i know, informant is the person who goes down to ICA to register the birth..

with regards to your other question, sorry i dont't have an answer.
    my baby boy is registered as single mother...

bbc
    Female Attendant

I found out the answer. Yes, you are right. And it's ok to register with father's surname as long as the father is present.

Female Attendant

Cool Re: Need to reconfirm the procedure of birth registration without marriage cert

Quote Originally Posted by bbc View Post
    Hey, read some posts pertaining to child birth registration with inclusion of natural father's name and particulars without marriage cert. Is it true that it can be done by just the appearance of both parents at ICA with taking an oath by the natural father?

I wrote to ICA and their reply seemed saying so, but they added the term "if the natural father is the informant of the child birth registration". So, what does 'the informant' mean?

Any ideas and who has experience in this?

Im quite confused. will i be able to register my baby birth certificate with the dad name if i dont have marriage certificate?

Yes just need the mom & dad to go to ica and say an oath in font of the officer. I totally regretted it.

Female Attendant

what the meaning of say as oath in front of the officer? why regret? o.o

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by viviianz View Post
    what the meaning of say as oath in front of the officer? why regret? o.o
    i spent $18 to add his name and another $4k just to remove his name from the birth cert..

Female Attendant

huh. whyneed remove the name? Hmm.. when a child grow up he dont need his BC anymore.

Worthy Lady

you will still need the BC for their pre-primary school admission.. need the father IC if his name is in the birth cert... and if the name of the father is stated inside the BC, he can fight for the custody of your child.

Female Attendant

fight but not likely to win if he adultery or a irresponsible dad.

Worthy Lady

but its gonna be a long, tiring and expensive one... it took me 1/2 yr just to remove his name and my case considered quite straight forward type as the father did not create "much' trouble for me.. i just pay and shut his mouth...

acutally if you r on good terms with the father, then its ok.. its up to individual..

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by hapieger View Post
    but its gonna be a long, tiring and expensive one... it took me 1/2 yr just to remove his name and my case considered quite straight forward type as the father did not create "much' trouble for me.. i just pay and shut his mouth...

acutally if you r on good terms with the father, then its ok.. its up to individual..

my fiancée and I are not married. We've just had a baby girl. Is there any way you know of to include both our surnames on the birth certificate without having to have one of surnames as the middle name. Partner is insisting her name is the surname.

Female Attendant

Hi All, I am an unwed mother, edd Jan 2014.
    My partner is still married as he still holds a DBSS flat with his current wife and in order not to sell back the house to the government, they have remained married although they are 2 individuals now staying in the DBSS flat.
    Once the DBSS is due for sale after 5 years, they will sell the house and arrange for a divorce.
    i am sure I am not the only person stuck with a man in situation as such?
    Fortunately or some say unfortunately, I got pregnant..we want to have the child as we are not young anymore and we cannot wait for him to end his situation 5 years later cos he would be almost 50! and I would be past 40!
    In this case, does anyone know if I could put my partner's name as the father in my child's birth cert even though he is married to another woman?
    Will it create any implications for him since he is still under marital status?

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    My partner is still married as he still holds a DBSS flat with his current wife and in order not to sell back the house to the government, they have remained married although they are 2 individuals now staying in the DBSS flat.
    Once the DBSS is due for sale after 5 years, they will sell the house and arrange for a divorce.
    Fortunately or some say unfortunately, I got pregnant..we want to have the child as we are not young anymore and we cannot wait for him to end his situation 5 years later cos he would be almost 50! and I would be past 40!
    In this case, does anyone know if I could put my partner's name as the father in my child's birth cert even though he is married to another woman?
    I want to know also... how to register the birth under such situation... or i simply want to know if i could do the BC alone.my case is even more complicated than yours...

Female Attendant
    both father mother need to present during registering for baby birth cert. i born my daughter when i was 19 without marriage cert. that was 15 yrs ago. now i am not sure.

Female Attendant

Without married Cert can still register the daddy name in the BC. But it can only done in ICA, not in hospital. Both daddy and mummy must be present, and the daddy will be the informant. Surname will follow daddy. Regardless he is married with other women, as long he is the natural father, his name can be appear in BC.

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    you can register yr child with the father's name. he will need to go down to ICA with you. both of you would then need to take an oath in front of the officer. on the bc, it would be written that parents are not married at the time of registration.

Female Attendant

Rest assure that the child is assured of his/her birth cert & citizenship. Without a marriage cert, one shall travel to ICA directly. It might be troublesome because in most cases, normal birth registration is done at the hospital itself.

It is your choice to put the father's name or not. If the child is ok and you are ok, please allow the child to come to this world and grow up well. Self-righteous people are aplenty and there is no need for these noises to harm a small life especially your own child.

May you & all children be well

Female Attendant

What if the father is not a Singaporean? Is the process at ICA still the same?

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by ellyellie View Post
    What if the father is not a Singaporean? Is the process at ICA still the same?
    Yes, still the same.

SAC
    Female Attendant

Hi,

I am Singapore PR. I am currently pregnant and the child's father is a Singapore Citizen. I will be a Single mother.
    Can I still get BC for my child without a marriage certificate? Someone please advise. Thanks!

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by SAC View Post
    Hi,

I am Singapore PR. I am currently pregnant and the child's father is a Singapore Citizen. I will be a Single mother.
    Can I still get BC for my child without a marriage certificate? Someone please advise. Thanks!

Perhaps you can call up to check with the ICA to ascertain which citizenship you intend to give your child.

For single mother who is a Singaporean, the child will be a Singaporean.

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by hapieger View Post

Hi Hapieger:
    I'm new to this website. I'm a Singapore PR and my children also SPR. I'm now having the problem to fight the child custody with the father. I'm really regretted for putting the father's name in the birth cert. The father has hid my 18months old baby in his condo and he asked the security not to allow me to enter. I just gone through the mediation and i decided not to agree with the offer.My lawyer told me that the chances to get my girl custody is very low. I am really panic now. My girl was still breastfeeding when the father took her away and now already 22days past. Police also told me that their power is limited. They can't do anything because the father's name is inside the birth cert.

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by SAC View Post
    Hi,

Hi SAC,
    You can get the BC through ICA and the baby will follow mother's status. Remember, not to put the father's name on the birth cert. If not you will be in trouble if one day you wanted to leave him and he fight for the child's custody. I'm having the problem right now as i never listen to my parents when register for my children birth cert. Now my 18months old baby has been taken away by his dad since 1/1/2014 and the police told me that the birth cert got the father name and they can't do anything. They also can't force the father to hand over the child. unless i have full custody of the child. I'm now fighting for the custody and my lawyer told me the chance is very low. Sad

Female Attendant

Quote Originally Posted by smting View Post
    Hi SAC,
    You can get the BC through ICA and the baby will follow mother's status. Remember, not to put the father's name on the birth cert. If not you will be in trouble if one day you wanted to leave him and he fight for the child's custody. I'm having the problem right now as i never listen to my parents when register for my children birth cert. Now my 18months old baby has been taken away by his dad since 1/1/2014 and the police told me that the birth cert got the father name and they can't do anything. They also can't force the father to hand over the child. unless i have full custody of the child. I'm now fighting for the custody and my lawyer told me the chance is very low. Sad

It's sad when things dont't go according to plan. I wonder why some fathers want to snatch the children when they are already cared for and following his surname. Anyway, we know that this world has more fools than wise people.

Even for properly married couples, unpleasant things can still happen.

To include the father's name or not, it is best left for the couple to decide; if there is a father, there should be a father's name. There are many, who had lived and are still living happily, without marriage certificates.

Every child deserves to grow up well.