Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

flu season!!!! how to keep baby flu-free!?

This is a discussion on flu season!!!! how to keep baby flu-free!? within the Baby, Toddler, Child Health Concerns forum, part of the Growing Up & Parenting category; Dear mummies, The weather is crazy! One minute hot n sweaty, next is cold n shivering. Though i bf my ...

Worthy Lady

flu season!!!! how to keep baby flu-free!?

Dear mummies,

The weather is crazy! One minute hot n sweaty, next is cold n shivering. Though i bf my baby, she has runny nose. =( heard quite a few down with sore throat, nose block etc. Thank god baby still drink n sleep well...

Can i ask,

1) how do i boost the immune sys of my baby? If i take more vitamin c, will it help baby??

2) her mucus of the runny nose used to be watery. Now become sticky. How!? I drip a few drops of breast milk into her nose then suck them out with the nose aspirator. Is suck using mouth more effective? How do you use mouth to suck anyway!? I want to do it if it's more effective than nose aspirator. Pls teach me!!

3) heard baby below 6 mths, doc wont issue medicine. So ubder what situatiob or syptoms do i visit a pediatrician?

Help!!!!

Worthy Lady
    Hmmm I brought my son to Kandang Kerbau Hospital when he was around 5+mths. Had cough and running nose. But apparently, doctor only gave running nose med cos there is no suitable med for cough for under 6mths. I guess as long as it's not cough, you can bring your child to see pediatrician. Try not to go for gp cos they dont specialize in children medicine, and normally they will give the medicine if you insist.

Worthy Lady
    But my baby dont really have cough yet. Just sticky mucus. I was told by my friend that pediatrician only gives saline solution n nose aspirator. =(

Worthy Lady
    Just focus on nostrils, n suck very fast as they dont like it n will struggle.

What i usually do is I drip sterimar to further soften things inside. Sometimes after that use tissue to tickle a bit n they will sneeze out everything. Easier!!

My baby had runny nose during confinement month. Was prescribe sterimar ( saline water go wash baby nose) and illiadin for block nose.

3 weeks ago he was down with bronchitis when he was only 3 month plus. Was prescribed combivent& ventolin( both nebulizing) and Zyrtec, then change to the oral medicine of zenmolin ( also a kind of ventolin for cough) & zyrtec

Worthy Lady
    =( always a heartpain to suck baby nose or to see her in discomfort.

Do you suck with mouth or aspirator?

Brochitis, what's the syptoms? Breathing difficulty?? Hope your baby is ok now!!

Worthy Lady
    I suck with mouth.

Bronchitis is the inflammation of lower respiratory tract infections. my eldest son first symptom start with fever. My baby now start with slight cough. Both have runny nose and cough with phlegm. He eat less than half of his usual intake and eat at a longer interval too.

He is ok now, used to drink 3 hrly 130ml. Past 3 days 2 1/2 hrly 140ml.

Worthy Lady

Re: flu season!!!! how to keep baby flu-free!?

I use the aspirator from pigeon to suck out the mucous inside.

Actually your baby may not b having flu. could be just sensitive nose.

if you leave the mucous and dont do anything about it, it may backflow into the throat and cause sticky mucous and may cause thraot infection. So have to try to suck out as much as possible

BTW, read that zyrtec may cause hyperactiveness in children. By right, flu med should make you drowsy and make you zzz cos the best treatment for flu is to rest. but then i gave zyrtec to my elder son. he was so hyper! cannot zzz and was cranky. can see he's really tired but he still very hyper. then i read up. one of the side effects is it may cause children to become hyperactive. so got to monitor if your child is like that.

try not to give medicine to children below 1 yr unless the illness is causing them distress and cannot zzz. My pediatrician said as long as baby still can zzz andpoo and eat well, dont have to give med . Fever is different . must give if too high fever.

Worthy Lady

should be more sensitive on the temperature changes. quickly wear on or off the cloths and aware their sweat.

Rye
    Worthy Lady
    The 2nd pediatrician I visited told me that Zyrtec is prescribed to babies 6mths n older yet bottle only had instructions for babies 2yrs n older. So what did your pediatrician advised about the meds?

Worthy Lady

thank !!!!!!!!!!!