Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

G6PD Deficiency

This is a discussion on G6PD Deficiency within the Baby, Toddler, Child Health Concerns forum, part of the Growing Up & Parenting category; Hello fellow mums, First of all, I wish to announce that I've given birth to a cute baby boy on ...

G6PD Deficiency

Hello fellow mums,

First of all, I wish to announce that I've given birth to a cute baby boy on the 27th of May.

But my paediatric informed me the next night that my baby boy had G6PD deficiency. Actually I dont't have a clue what exactly is that. The doc explained that my baby boy will have certain drug allergies and cannot eat certain food for a lifetime!! I'm not sure what kind of drug exactly but I acknowledged that my boy can't take beans-related food, any Chinese medicine and cannot smell or be near to moth-balls. He also have to stay in hospital for a couple of days more for further observation of jaundice.

Can anyone advise me further on this G6PD deficiency issues? What are the exact kind of food/things he must avoid? Anywhere I can get more information?

My sis-in-law told me that his boy, who is 7year old currently, also have G6PD deficiency. She claimed that it is nothing serious, as it is neither a disease nor any physical impairment.

Re: G6PD Deficiency

G6PD deficiency is the most common human enzyme defect.

Most individuals with G6PD deficiency are asymptomatic.
    Symptomatic patients are almost exclusively male, due to the X-linked pattern of inheritance, but female carriers can be clinically affected due to unfavorable Lyonization, where random inactivation of an X-chromosome in certain cells creates a population of G6PD-deficient red blood cells coexisting with normal red cells. Abnormal red blood cell breakdown (hemolysis) in G6PD deficiency can manifest in a number of ways:
    The most important measure is prevention - avoidance of the drugs and foods that cause hemolysis. Vaccination against some common pathogens (e.g. hepatitis A and hepatitis B) may prevent infection-induced attacks.[11]
    In a nutshell, he will not be able to take Broad beans other than that, most foods are actually alright. You will also need to mention to the pediatrician or GP that he is visiting that he has G6PD deficiency so that they will prescribe drugs that cause hemolysis. As for chinese medication, we are unsure of its drug components, so its better to avoid.

Hello joanneang,

My husband, my 2nd son & my 3rd son have G6PD deficiency. My daughter & I are carriers(1 of our XX-chromosome has the recessive gene). Only my 1st son does not have this condition. Becoz of this, all my babies were discharged 8-10 days after birth, for monitoring purpose & becoz of jaundice.

When your baby is discharged from the hospital, you'll be given a pamphlet on G6PD def which states specifically what drugs to avoid . Anyway, when visiting any doc/pharmacy, just inform the doctor/pharmacist about this & they'll know what drugs to avoid giving.

Make sure your house if free of mothballs. Anybody holding your baby should not have mothball smell on their clothes(usually old people still use mothballs).

Take note of dishes that contain broad beans. I know of 1 malay dish that has broad beans. The dish is called Kacang Pool. Anyone knows of other dishes? If you bf your baby, you might wanna avoid broad beans too. Just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by paperger85 View Post
    In a nutshell, he will not be able to take Broad beans other than that, most foods are actually alright. You will also need to mention to the pediatrician or GP that he is visiting that he has G6PD deficiency so that they will prescribe drugs that cause hemolysis. As for chinese medication, we are unsure of its drug components, so its better to avoid.
    Thanks for your detailed info. I'm really worried about my boy

Quote Originally Posted by kams View Post
    Hello joanneang,

My husband, my 2nd son & my 3rd son have G6PD deficiency. My daughter & I are carriers(1 of our XX-chromosome has the recessive gene). Only my 1st son does not have this condition. Becoz of this, all my babies were discharged 8-10 days after birth, for monitoring purpose & becoz of jaundice.

When your baby is discharged from the hospital, you'll be given a pamphlet on G6PD def which states specifically what drugs to avoid . Anyway, when visiting any doc/pharmacy, just inform the doctor/pharmacist about this & they'll know what drugs to avoid giving.

Make sure your house if free of mothballs. Anybody holding your baby should not have mothball smell on their clothes(usually old people still use mothballs).

Take note of dishes that contain broad beans. I know of 1 malay dish that has broad beans. The dish is called Kacang Pool. Anyone knows of other dishes? If you bf your baby, you might wanna avoid broad beans too. Just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Kams,

Thank you. Appreciate your reply

babe, i dont know much about G6PD but i do know that id he is G6PD deficiency, he CANNOT take those jin feng shan or bao yin dan thingy. those chi medi powder. you must take note of that cos elderly lik to feed baby all these. =)

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by apollo View Post
    babe, i dont know much about G6PD but i do know that id he is G6PD deficiency, he CANNOT take those jin feng shan or bao yin dan thingy. those chi medi powder. you must take note of that cos elderly lik to feed baby all these. =)
    the Jing Feng San that i bought from Eu Yan Seng stated :"This product is not to be taken by infants suffering from G-6-pediatrician deficiency."
    i did not know what is G6PD too.. until i read this threads.. ^^ maybe you can consider avoiding chinese medicine totally for him.. i scared like some medical hall dont even know what is G6PD or maybe a new staff 1st day work then not familiar n just tell you can eat or anything like that then it could cause serious complications.. better dont risk..
    Last edited by Pamper; 01-06-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Since i bf my babies, i also didn't take any of the Jamu(traditional med) pills that were recommended by massage lady. Best is to stay away from traditional meds if you r not sure of the ingredients.

Female Attendant

Hi peepz.

i recently became a father of a cute baby boy, but doc informed me that he is a g6pd baby.

just wish to know if besides mothballs, are there any other things he cannot touch smell or go near? my parents do use baygon, i know that babies cannot go smell that, but what i mean is can we use it altogether?

Imperial Concubine

the main big NO is Broad bean & moth ball. Some western med also cannot. If really need to give traditional chinese medicine, need to check with the doc 1st. other than that, they are just like a normal baby.

Worthy Lady

my husband is also G6PD but lucky my son is not...the things that need to avoid is mainly as mention above are broad beans n moth balls...another 1 which every 1 misses out is sulphur...this is contain in all red wines...so need to bear in mind when they reaches ault age need to avoid drinking wine...

Imperial Concubine

recently i read that sulphur cannot too but didnt know sulphur is in wine ! then they cannot even touch wine .. so sad...

Worthy Lady

Ya. . just have to take note loh. White n crystal wine i think okie. Its the red n dark wine that contsins high sulpher. But anyways just becareful loh

Worthy Lady
    My family has a history of G6PD... we only got to know of this when my sis is Pregnant few years back... but before that, we live normally... tho my mom emphasized of no broad beans and moth balls... so whenever we eat can beans, my siblings and I will be careful. My bro can go to the extend of cannot eat nuts that are mixed with broad beans... but other than that, we r okay. Wine and alcohol are okay as well.. but be careful than be sorry, still got to watch out. Still, at the end of the day, we r still normal kids.