This is a discussion on 5 in hospital after inhaling gas within the Local & Foreign Issues forum, part of the Community Lounge category; ALOR STAR - FIVE secondary schoolgirls were admitted to the Yan Hospital after inhaling gas, believed to be chlorine, allegedly ...
ALOR STAR - FIVE secondary schoolgirls were admitted to the Yan Hospital after inhaling gas, believed to be chlorine, allegedly released from a fertiliser factory.
The 15-year-old girls, all Form Three students of SMK Guar Chempedak, complained of nausea and shortness of breath after inhaling the gas at about 9.30am on Thursday during school session.
Kedah Health department director Dr Marzukhi Md Isa said the girls, whose conditions are reported to be stable, were initially treated at the Guar Chempedak health clinic. They were then referred to the hospital.
It is learnt that the gas was allegedly released by the factory, about 10km from the school, between midnight and 2am on that day.
The state Department of Environment, which is handling the case, is believed to have asked the factory management to give a statement over the matter.
Chlorine is a toxic gas that irritates the respiratory system. It is used in a wide range of industrial and consumer products, such as making plastics, solvents for dry cleaning and metal degreasing, textiles, insecticides and household cleaning products.
5 in hospital after inhaling gas