Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

Elite school or not doesn't matter: PM

This is a discussion on Elite school or not doesn't matter: PM within the Local & Foreign Issues forum, part of the Community Lounge category; Elite school or not doesn't matter: PM "FOR 20 years, the display band of Bowen Secondary School in Hougang has ...

"FOR 20 years, the display band of Bowen Secondary School in Hougang has been top of the pops....
    Its achievements are not lost on Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, who held it up before 500 pre-university students yesterday when he stressed to them that their future success did not hinge on going to an elite school. It pivots on what they make of the opportunities they are given.
    'Our education system provides something for everyone, not just in a few top schools, but in many good schools and JCs all over Singapore,' he said at the annual Pre-University Seminar at the University Cultural Centre....
    PM Lee said it is up to parents to believe that there are many places where students can get a good education.
    'I believe it,' he added, pointing out that Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew attended the 100th birthday of his alma mater, Telok Kurau Primary School, to remind people that one does not have to go to a good school to do well."

If there are no average schools... how the other elite schools stand out?

Worthy Consort
    Re: Elite school or not doesn't matter: PM

I personally think 'elite school' means the children are given alot more opportunities like enrichment programs, larger variety of CCAs, etc. Some small neighbourhood schools do not have such robust programs to boost the other aspects of education.

My choice of school is by the programs they have for their students (compulsory programs) and the availability of additional programs (like enrichments). Also, opportunity (for competitions, be it intraschool or interschool) for most students, regardless of results.

I came from a school that was not an elite school but a rather reputable school that had loads of opportunities for us to develop. Not everyone attained super results, but all of us obtained a super education

That being said, the enrolment system is another cause. The more parents that enrol at the certain school, the 'better' that school seems. Just like typical Singaporeans, if there's a queue, join it first, then find out what the queue is for

My boy will be going to a 'top school' in Singapore according to another forum.
    My husband is old boy, with the school's reputation, we save on the hassle (PV & what nots) and am sure he will get opportunities there. Why not?
    Empty vessels make the most noise