FOR about two months, he had been sowing the seeds.

Yesterday, Mr Mohamad Nazrin Roslan , 28, who works in the retail industry, finally reaped his harvest when he was presented with the Ducati Monster 696, the grand prize of this year's The New Paper Auction.

The red Italian bike is valued at $23,600, including insurance and COE.

Mr Mohamad Nazrin had a record winning bid amount of TNP$9.1 million.

He got the keys to his new ride at the TNP Auction Carnival held at The New Paper Sports Bar at St James Power Station yesterday.

But winning the bike wasn't easy for Mr Mohamad Nazrin.

In almost two months - from Aug 2 to Sept 26 - he spent about $8,000 buying copies of TNP and also TNP$ notes from other readers.

Mr Mohamad Nazrin, who already owns two motorbikes, rode to up to 10 petrol kiosks every day and he would snap up 40 copies of TNP at each.

He also posted on Internet forums such as Hardware Zone and Fishing Kaki offering to buy TNP$ notes.

And he had help from about 20 family members and friends who helped him collect TNP$ notes.

But initially, his parents did not approve of him taking part in the TNP Auction.

"That's because I had to juggle work and studies. But when they saw that I was serious about it, they relented," he said.

His father, Mr Roslan Mahmood, 54, who works in the oil and gas sector, said: "Every day after work, my wife and I helped cut out the TNP$ notes found in TNP and we counted them."

It was hard work, but Mr Roslan said it was worth it. He said: "We often had backache after cutting the notes out for more than two hours each day. But it's a worthwhile sacrifice for our son."

Mr Mohamad Nazrin said both he and his father will ride the new motorbike.

"I've put both my and my dad's names in the insurance forms," he told The New Paper.

Another winner yesterday was Mr Lim Yong Leng, 32, a service engineer (left.

He won a diamond necklace and bracelet set valued at $4,996from local jewellery brand Goldheart in the TNP Auction Lucky Draw. The TNP subscriber had cut out and collected all the TNP$ found in copies of TNP from Aug 2 to Sept 26. All he had to do was send an SMS to express his interest in the lucky draw.

Mr Lim was then selected out of "an overwhelming number" of readers who took part, said Mr Robin Kong, circulation marketing manager of Singapore Press Holdings.

Mr Lim said he would probably give the jewellery set to his mother.

The TNP Auction Carnival wraps up the second TNP Auction since its revival last year after a 16-year break.

Mr Dominic Nathan, editor of The New Paper, who was at the event, described the winning bid amount of TNP$9.1 million as "astonishing".

"It's very rewarding to see that we have some very dedicated readers who went out of the way to collect the TNP$, asking their friends, family and colleagues for help and drumming up publicity online," he said.

Mr Nathan also gave special thanks to sponsors Ducati Singapore, Scanteak, Goldheart and Audio House Marketing.