SINGAPORE Airlines (SIA) which took three Airbus A-380 planes out of service on Wednesday, has not ruled out the possibility of grounding more of the superjumbos.

Each of the three aircraft will have one of four engines changed as a 'precautionary' measure after last week's engine blowout on a Qantas A-380 jet.

SIA chief executive Chew Choon Seng said: 'We are in very close communication with the aircraft manufacturer and engine-maker.

'Even as they analyse the data, the observations, they come back to us with new recommendations. It is an ongoing, continuous process,' he said.

Rolls-Royce had recommended that the engines be replaced after oil stains were found on them.

Mr Chew, who met reporters and analysts at a post-results briefing on Wednesday, a day after the airline announced a $380 million profit for the July-September quarter, was explaining why SIA grounded the three planes two days after declaring there was no cause for concern.

No disruptions to flights