MS DIANA Wong, 32, had considered hiring a yacht to celebrate her father's 60th birthday, but by a stroke of luck, she won a yacht cruise when she signed up for a subscription to The Straits Times.

The prize was just one of many given out this week, after the first electronic draw for the ST 'Success Series' campaign. The second draw will be held on Dec 10.

Subscribers who sign up by Nov 25 are still eligible for it. The promotion is for all new subscribers of The Straits Times and also those converting from vendor subscriptions to direct subscriptions.

Prizes still up for grabs in the sure-win lucky draw include electronic devices such as camcorders and LCD television sets, luxury yacht cruises, and holidays to Tokyo and Europe. Those who sign up during the campaign also stand a chance to win an additional prize of a Volkswagen Tiguan.

Ms Wong, a sales manager whose family has subscribed to The Straits Times for more than 20 years, said her sister had told her about the promotion and encouraged her to convert her subscription. 'She brought me luck,' said Ms Wong who is hoping to take 10 family members, including her sister, on the cruise.

It was more convenient, she said, to be a direct subscriber as she could pay using her credit card instead of giving cash to the vendor.

'Sometimes we are out or having dinner when the vendor knocks on our door so it's not so convenient,' she said.

Another lucky winner, Mr Liew Choon Lee, 47, got one of the top prizes - an 11-day Europe tour for two.

The human resource information systems manager said he has been only to France on a work trip, so he is looking forward to sightseeing in Europe with his wife and two children.

'I would like to visit the historic locations in Rome and Paris,' he said.
Mr Liew, who had changed his vendor subscription to a direct subscription, said he was 'highly surprised' to have won the prize.

'I knew it was a sure-win lucky draw, but even so, I was thinking it would be one of the smaller prizes,' he said.

Another winner, retiree Chia Yee Kim, 66, won a three-night stay at the Banyan Tree Ungasan in Bali, but is still keeping his fingers crossed.
'I think everyone is still looking forward to the car,' he said.

Prizes galore for subscribers