BUCHAREST - FORMER Romanian diplomat Silviu Ionescu, whose request to be freed from detention was granted on Thursday, will remain incarcerated as prosecutors have appealed against his release.

The appeal will be examined by the Bucharest Tribunal on Monday or Tuesday, The Straits Times understands, though a court date has yet to be set.

Ionescu's attorney, Mr Nelu Tasca, said the court has to decide on the appeal within 48 hours, during which the former diplomat will remain in jail, where he has been for about six months.

If the three judges from the tribunal rule in favour of Ionescu, the decision will be final, which means that Ionescu will be freed for the duration of the trial.

The 50-year-old, who is accused of being involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident in Singapore last year, had repeatedly requested to be released, but the court had, until Thursday, turned down his requests.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday said Singapore respected the decision of the Romanian court to grant his request to be released under judicial supervision.

Prosecutors appeal against release