AFTER graduating with a bachelor's degree in business, Ms Chia Jia Wen could have opted for a glamourous career in an advertising firm but she chose instead to work as a fruit and vegetable category manager with supermarket chain Cold Storage.

Her decision to take the path less travelled led her to win the Young Executive Of The Year award at the Singapore Retailers Association (SRA) Awards on Wednesday night.

The annual awards, now into its 11th year, aims to raise the standard, profile and image of the retail industry by recognising its bright sparks.

The award winners were announced at the SRA Ball, which was held at the Raffles City Convention Centre and attended by some 850 retailers and industry players.

Ms Chia, 24, said: 'My job at the supermarket may be behind the scenes but the immediate response I receive from sales of the produce and feedback from customers gives me a great sense of satisfaction.'

In her two years on the job, she has successfully introduced mini-sized fruit such as baby apples and baby kiwis from New Zealand, together with a larger range of stone fruit from the US such as peacherines, a peach and nectarine hybrid.

Young Executive of the Year