Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

Like Tree700Likes

We are trying to concieve-ing!

This is a discussion on We are trying to concieve-ing! within the Trying To Conceive forum, part of the You and Your Family category; Originally Posted by Dragontail Quincy, 5 boxes??!! Haa on big sale is it? :P sigh...i always do things on impulse. ...

Re: We are trying to concieve-ing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontail View Post
    Quincy, 5 boxes??!! Haa on big sale is it? :P
    sigh...i always do things on impulse. need to control myself.

Imperial Concubine happilymarried's Avatar

quincy - 5 boxes at 1 go?? wah! becareful of the expiry date ... & you can throw 1-2 bars in your bag to munch when you get dizzy or feel weak... for morning breakfast, eat the real thing... like cereal with milk and nuts/fruits... hehe.... these bars may be sweet, but if you have active lifestyle, it ok to take it once or twice a week..

Update from my doc visit!

My oh my - doc Tham is nice, very fatherly and speaks well, Down to earth. My old man said he felt none of the ya ya feel, he felt more like oh this is the kind neighbor next door. So we started the consultation with doc asking why I wanna change given so late as doc chan is a good doc and when i told him the story, he said he completely understands. He also said doc brenda low is a good doc but he understands i dont wish to have a first date with her in the delivery ward. He then proceeded to ask me about medical history and if I have any pets?!? First time a doc asks me that.

He also said my Oscar results are good - when I said there are folks with 1:10000+ - he said there are folks with 1:1000+. Detailed scan results are also good.

Scanning was detailed. He pointed out what he was measuring and why. Ok - his machine is not 3D but he can provide the scans in thumb drive.

He also asked if I havea birth plan. I was like huh. Then he told me ok so you are going for normal with or without painkillers. I said shoot me up with epidural, he then gave me this leaflet and asked me if I know of other pain relief methods - which I honestly didnt know. He said to take a read through and decide by next visit. He said must always read carefully before signing. I asked him about c sect - he said why c sect if everything seems ok for normal delivery. And told me to read the leaflet and consider. He discouraged c sect with ga as he said ga will also affect the baby.

And charges are cheaper!!! $211 for consultation, scan and meds!!! Delivery charges are also cheaper. $1300 for normal delivery compared to $4000 from doc chan.

Hahaha my old man said we could have 3 kids under doc Tham with the amount we pay doc chan. He feels kena ketok.

Waiting time was short. Maybe cuz we were 9am. Basically out of clinic by 10am.

So which doc to go with? My old man makes the decision.

My only grouse - parking. We had to take a shuttle bus to the other car park even though we valet!!! But parking is cheap $3 plus valet.

Quote Originally Posted by yukki View Post
    hihi ebichan and gnissim23, i done bbt ans ovulation kit and been consuming chinese med
    for about 4mths...nope doc yet to ask me do blood test...hubby never done test too...
    western doc only do a test to check my womb...
    hi yukki, it depends on your age? maybe for ladies, it will be easier to go gynae for a scan nearing your O date to see if you have a follicle, possibly can check uterus for any polyp or fibroid as well? if all clear, you could continue to try naturally with traditional chinese medicine herbs to help? Unless you want hubby to go for SA test (sperm analysis test) to check the condition of his army. Maybe can do some exercise while trying to concieve-ing but you must stop vigorous exercise during every 2ww.

littlej - glad the visit went so well! looks like my oscar result isnt that depressing afterall as well... haha.... feels ketok? me too!! he sounds very reassuring, did you also ask about the hospital of delivery? Whether he is comfy with Mount A instead of Thomson Medical Center? Or you going with Thomson Medical Center? & yes! the parking is horrid... i hate taking the shuttle bus... why did Thomson Medical Center have to sell that piece of land that used to be the car park?! also, if it rains heavily, i hate that i have to get up n down the shuttle bus even though i drove there.....

by the way ladies, i also facing the dilemma of changing doc now if next visit at week 20, everything is ok... problem is, i still have 3 embryos left and i will definitely go back for them and i guess it has to be with dr tan? But..... i also think her charges for delivery will be super 'ketok' kind... should i or should i not change doc? Would it be extremely embarrassing if i go back for my embryos later on, IF i didnt use her for delivery of my no.1? hmmm....

Oh - and doc Tham believes in smaller babies and dont't put on so much weight mothers. Reason is easier to birth naturally.

Hahaha he was quite surprised at the amount of weight I put on - my dears - I have officially put on 16.4kg. Busted my grand plan of max 15kg.

He encourages exercising so he was glad to hear I am doing Pilates, yoga and 30min walk.

Oh. He also said not to consume too much rock melon, mango, grapes, durian! He even said durian is "toxic"!! Reason because these fruits are laden with higher sugar content. And consume more whole meal bread less white bread. And cut on sweet drinks, chocolate, ice cream and snacks.

Hmm - I should consume less rock melon and mango and grapes. But oh these fruits are so yums! I dont't take chocolates and durians and not much of ice cream anyway. Where did my weight gain come from!!!

Lil muffin is also doing well. 2.2kg today. Saw him flickering his eyelids and moving his mouth. So cute! Hahha. Usually dont't get to see his whole face at doc chan cuz he uses his arms to cover the face. But somehow he was all face exposed at doc Tham.

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by littlej View Post
    Update from my doc visit!

My oh my - doc Tham is nice, very fatherly and speaks well, Down to earth. My old man said he felt none of the ya ya feel, he felt more like oh this is the kind neighbor next door. So we started the consultation with doc asking why I wanna change given so late as doc chan is a good doc and when i told him the story, he said he completely understands. He also said doc brenda low is a good doc but he understands i dont wish to have a first date with her in the delivery ward. He then proceeded to ask me about medical history and if I have any pets?!? First time a doc asks me that.

He also said my Oscar results are good - when I said there are folks with 1:10000+ - he said there are folks with 1:1000+. Detailed scan results are also good.

Scanning was detailed. He pointed out what he was measuring and why. Ok - his machine is not 3D but he can provide the scans in thumb drive.

He also asked if I havea birth plan. I was like huh. Then he told me ok so you are going for normal with or without painkillers. I said shoot me up with epidural, he then gave me this leaflet and asked me if I know of other pain relief methods - which I honestly didnt know. He said to take a read through and decide by next visit. He said must always read carefully before signing. I asked him about c sect - he said why c sect if everything seems ok for normal delivery. And told me to read the leaflet and consider. He discouraged c sect with ga as he said ga will also affect the baby.

And charges are cheaper!!! $211 for consultation, scan and meds!!! Delivery charges are also cheaper. $1300 for normal delivery compared to $4000 from doc chan.

Hahaha my old man said we could have 3 kids under doc Tham with the amount we pay doc chan. He feels kena ketok.

Waiting time was short. Maybe cuz we were 9am. Basically out of clinic by 10am.

So which doc to go with? My old man makes the decision.

My only grouse - parking. We had to take a shuttle bus to the other car park even though we valet!!! But parking is cheap $3 plus valet.
    good to hear that everything went well for you...think your old man would choose Dr Tham...

got this from Kandang Kerbau Hospital website

Pregnancy - During Pregnancy - Pain Relief in Labour - KK Women's and Children's Hospital
    happilymarried likes this.

As for hospital. Therein lies the problem. The nurse said he would prefer Thomson Medical Center cuz he is based there. So logically- any emergencies, he can just walk - no need to drive. And of course with driving means there is also the risk of traffic jams or accidents *touch wood* the nurse also said he will be able to do more "in person" visits if at Thomson Medical Center - whereas at mt a - he will make fewer visits.

I prefer mt a though. I mean I always preferred mt a cuz I feel it is more "protected" as a catholic hospital. I mean, yes I am a Christian but ultimately same big dude up there . Just that doc chan only delivers at glen E so no choice.

Also - my old man was born in mt a, so I thought would be nice to have muffin coming out in the same hospital too.

Happilymarried - if you are comfy with dr tan and feels she can take great care of you and if you feel that you can afford the charges and if she is not on leave when you are due - then I see no reason why you should change. The last reason is most impt.

For me - if doc chan wasn't going away, I would have stayed with him. High charges, ya ya attitude and all - I will take it in. Simply because I am familiar with doc chan and I trust he has the best team in his hands and I trust he will take good care of my body. And also because I wouldn't know any other docs too!! Actually I never thought he had a yaya attitude until he made the comment of his vacation was taken a year ago even before I conceived. That was very yaya and flippant I felt.

I guess things happen for a reason which made me see this other side of doc chan. And hence got me exploring other docs. Hahaha which then made me realized oh doc chan's charges are really really really expensive.

But I wonder... Why the huge discrepancy in charges... Anyone knows?

Worthy Lady

Quote Originally Posted by littlej View Post
    As for hospital. Therein lies the problem. The nurse said he would prefer Thomson Medical Center cuz he is based there. So logically- any emergencies, he can just walk - no need to drive. And of course with driving means there is also the risk of traffic jams or accidents *touch wood* the nurse also said he will be able to do more "in person" visits if at Thomson Medical Center - whereas at mt a - he will make fewer visits.

I prefer mt a though. I mean I always preferred mt a cuz I feel it is more "protected" as a catholic hospital. I mean, yes I am a Christian but ultimately same big dude up there . Just that doc chan only delivers at glen E so no choice.

Also - my old man was born in mt a, so I thought would be nice to have muffin coming out in the same hospital too.
    i think that it is good to be staying in the hospital that the gynae is based at so that he can rush to you when you are ready to deliver..having said that, this is only applicable during the day time...if you admit during the wee hours in the mornig/night..it doesnt really matter as they would be coming from their home anyway...i would always remember my gynae arriving to the hospital wear polo-t with bermudas and slippers as i admit myself at 3 plus in the morning...hehehe

actually i dont know which hospital my hubby is born in ...mine is Alexandra Hospital..

in-person visits? i understand that gyanes who deliver in pte hospital would charge doctor's fee everytime he visit you ...did you check what is the charges like for the visit?

littlej - agree with natalie... in person visits after giving birth.. of course if its same hospital as doc's clinic will be easier for him to visit.. but I think it could mean more charges also?

hubby & I were both born at mt a.. coincidentally around 2 yrs 2 mths apart somemore still... so that hospital (despite the current parking situation - the closed off the car park to do reno) always has a very special place in our hearts...

and the thing about dr tan... she can also be a bit yaya.. a bit.. given that she is so very experienced in the area of pregnancy complications... that sometimes she is very quick to explain in short.. even her nurses also commented on that saying that she is has less patience nowadays. quote her nurses.. she started out at singapore general hospital.. & I guess younger doctors tho less experienced.. will have lots more patience in talking n explanations... she also concludes things very fast also...it is both good n bad... she wont really fit into the neighbourly type of description like dr tham... plus the charges.. sky high... hmmm.. if my ivf#2 didnt work out... i would have stopped seeing her also.....

ya...i guess doctors are just doctors.

i was with dr wong mun that for a short while.
    i can feel he try his best to be nice to me. overall he is also a fatherly figure but still at certain points when i ask questions, he will raise a brow. as if i cant do research beforehand

Happilymarried I think it's fine for you to switch doc. I understand for some doctors (those that specialize in ivf in Kandang Kerbau Hospital and NUH), they only handle patients till first trimester and they dont't handle deliveries. So if you feel you are stable now, you can look to another gynea?

Littlej good that you and your hub are comfortable with Dr Tham and decided on him. So now you can focus on the nursery deco etc? And of cos the birth plan..

I didn't know there used to be another car park for Thomson Medical Center. My gynea is in Thomson Medical Center and when I consult her for routine checks, I have to park at the HDB carpark which is a good 15-20 mins walk away. Even the public carpark opposite Thomson Medical Center is always full.

superwoman - thanks! i know Kandang Kerbau Hospital some doctors work this way... like doc sadhana right? no deliveries... but dr tan is private... i know losing me as 1 of her thousand patients is nothing... but my concern is going back to her later on... will she treat me any differently? or show me the door? hmm.. i need to try asking her nurses perhaps if there are any patients like me?

littlej - can afford it and spending so much extra in delivery is another thing. hehe... maybe i can get a better cot or better everything with that extra money? i will try to research on why delivery costs can be so different!! errr... shouldnt the govt step in to do something about it? Since Kandang Kerbau Hospital is bursting with patients.... oh & your figures finally sank in... 16.4-2.2 means you have put on 14.2 only ... muffin is muffin... you are you... haha.. you have not busted your grand plan of 15kg! heehee!! & maybe muffin also prefers fatherly doc tham than yaya chan? since today he took a good look at dr tham...

Imperial Concubine littlehamster's Avatar
    Does Dr tham has a clinic elsewhere?

Wbb mentioned in the seminar That If we rub our tummy when preggy will mc. I thought back, my 2nd mc, I did rub alot as I thought rub is like soothing. What do you do? Esp now 2ww, I wanna "touch" n try communicate ask egg to grow to baby. Hahaha

Littlej, sounds like Dr Ben is a charming one! (In gynae department). Afterall he was also my 2nd choice of gynae back then, after Dr Loh SF.

Hehhe dont worry too much about the weight gain. You have been active with yoga and pilate and that will surely help with the delivery.

Hmm tough choice. Thomson Medical Center or mount E. Decision decision!

Awww I can feel the cuteness of muffin making faces at everyone at the scan today. Ya...maybe he approves of Dr Ben.

Today a miracle happened. I went into Dr Chew's room way before my appointed time (I was early). And I could easily find a parking lot close to the lobby. The best lot I ever got there. Lol I guess friday afternoon is a good time to see Dr Chew.

Because not many patients, he very merry today. Scan shows I have quite few eggs (thanks to gonal f! I dont remember last cycle got so cramped my ovaries). But he pointed one fattest one and said "this should be the one". I asked "is it got many eggs?". He replied "cannot too many. Wait they shio-ga". As in bite each other in hokkien. Ha! He also checked my mucus and said soon already. He said likely monday time to trigger. So seeing him on monday. Bd tonight. But my hubby has project to rush so we agree do it tomorrow night instead.

Dr Chew looked at my record and said "you want to do iui is it?" (I asked him before). I asked him back what he thinks. He said "we'll see after this". So keep fingers crossed

Imperial Concubine littlehamster's Avatar
    Dragontail: sounds good news. Good lucky!

Happilymarried I would think Dr Ann Tan is a professional so she would respect your decision. Just like what my gynea said that time when she recommended me some IVF doctors, she said may lose my business but she rather do so if I can get preggie. She even asked me to go govt hospitals to enjoy the subsidies. Yea just like Dr Sadhana

Dragontail what do you mean by too many eggs will bite each other? I know if too many eggs there will be higher probability of multiples. That's y some people who initially opt for IUI had to convert to IVF as too many eggs were stimulated. Add oil!

Littlehamster.. I have pregnant friends who were telling us not to rub the tummy cos baby doesnt like and the bump will become very hard. Just pat softly under the bump will do. I think we watch too much shows and ads showing mums to be rubbing their tummy every now and then.

Ya, i read about the rubbing of tummy too, can only tap lightly if wanna get baby attention and dont rub, not even lightly,

And tapping really helps, like when i felt pulling on my tummy, i will tap at that area, and the discomfort will go away instantly

Worthy Lady
    But when you are putting on anti stretch mark cream on your tummy..dont you rub it on using circular motion?

Natalie - when you put stretch mark cream on tummy, you should be lightly brushing upwards with feathery motions using the fingers. Kinda like how you go for facial and the therapist massages the face. Not supposed to rub rub tummy cuz that will create a mini tsunami inside. I learnt this from wbb class.

Which makes sense . I mean uh... I dont't know about you girls but when I put moisturizer on my face - I dont't rub around but kinda like brush upwards... Otherwise all the wrinkles will just go merry go round =p

mew
    Female Attendant

Anyone has any good fertility doc to recommend? We conceived in Nov 2012 after trying to concieve for 7m, only to lose it at 10w in Feb 2013. Have been trying to concieve again since Mar 2013, still no good news Suspect something is wrong with 1 of us, gotta check it out... Thanks...

Eh so - my old man has decided doc Tham it will be. *duh - as if you wouldn't have guessed earlier*

How should I tell doc chan? Should I just call and inform the nurses or pay him a personal visit and let him know? i am supposed to have an appt with him next tues anyway and since i already signed a package so um - Consultation is paid for?!? In a way, I feel bad cuz he has been my doc the past 5 years and kinda thought I must 交待. My old man thinks I am nuts - he said dont waste parking / valet at glen e, just call and tell the nurses and say bye bye. He said doc chan never even feel bad so why should I feel bad... And he ended his spew with dont forget he already 'earn' your $1600 plus the many consultations - and there are many docs around, not only doc chan and there is no need to see doc chan again cuz kena ketok!!!

Superwoman, I also dont really get his joke. Lol. I guess he meant for natural conceiving just cannot have too many eggs compared to ivf. He did crack another one though...I think I was asking if there might be more than one egg which may pop. He replied "you want double boil? Haha". Haa told ya he was feeling happy today.

Mew, I am seeing a fertility specialist at glen e now. I had two miscarriages last year. Seeing this doctor since june. Before that was with traditional chinese medicine. Maybe you also want to google more about Dr Peter Chew to gather more reviews. So far I am comfortable with him.