Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

acceptable weight gain for 1 month baby

This is a discussion on acceptable weight gain for 1 month baby within the Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group forum, part of the MummySG Special Group category; is a weight gain of 1090g (from the weight at discharge, not birth weight) in 1 month acceptable for a ...

Imperial Concubine

acceptable weight gain for 1 month baby

is a weight gain of 1090g (from the weight at discharge, not birth weight) in 1 month acceptable for a baby that's totally breastfed?

My girl has seen 3 pediatricians, all of whom say that she is small for her age. One of them has even tried to get me to switch to soy-based formula.

The regular ped my girl is seeing wants to see my girl fatten up, even though she says her weight gain is acceptable. I feel so stressed!!!

My girl weighs about 3.5kg. Is it enough to feed her 70 mother in law of expressed milk during one of the night feeds?

Consort-in-Ordinary Phoebii Cheng's Avatar

Re: acceptable weight gain for 1 month baby

My son when he is about a week old, the nurses at Kandang Kerbau Hospital told me that he shld be drinking about 300ml per day.....

have your baby milk intake increased in the 1mth from when she was newborn and a few weeks old?

When my son was about two months he is 6kg plus......

Consort-in-Ordinary Phoebii Cheng's Avatar

BTW, how old is your baby?

hi

my baby only put on 900grams from day of discharge n my pediatrician says its ok coz normally by 1st month their weight gain should be between 500g-1kg so actually your girl did put on enough just that i believe her birth weight must be quite small?my girl was 3.1kg when discharge n at 1st month 4kg

my girl also full breastfeeding...70ml is ok my gir drinks that amt as well when she was 2-4weeks now she's 7weeks drinks about 100ml so dont worry think your girl will be fine...just to check is your breastmilk very white-ish n watery?coz mine is n my mum kept saying those yellowish ones r better more filling for baby hence make them grow bigger
    Last edited by missblue18; 20-04-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Imperial Concubine

my baby only put on about 0.5kg in the 1st month. 2nd month boomed

in the 1st month she only drink 90ml but 2nd month 120ml. now going 3rd month, 150ml ! Very greedy.. 150ml is max .

Quote Originally Posted by uddermummy View Post
    is a weight gain of 1090g (from the weight at discharge, not birth weight) in 1 month acceptable for a baby that's totally breastfed?
    Yes. My dear daughter is fully bf and also put on about 1.1kg in the first month (she was only 2.43kg at birth) and doctor was pleased with her growth.

Quote Originally Posted by uddermummy View Post
    My girl weighs about 3.5kg. Is it enough to feed her 70 mother in law of expressed milk during one of the night feeds?
    I think you should try giving more and see how much she can finish? My dear daughter was 3.5kg too at 1 month. Usually she'd drink 100ml or so per feed.

Imperial Concubine

my girl is about 5 weeks old. She's got double chin but her body just refuses to fatten up.

i consulted a lactation consultant and she told me that the minimum amount is weight (kg) x 20ml.

so figured that 3.5 x 20ml should be about 70 ml. The problem is that my girl sometimes can't even finish 60ml and if she feeds too much (at both breasts), she tends to spit out quite a bit of milk. But she does feed pretty often at the breast.

a feed of about 60ml can last her about 2 hours.

ladies, can share with me your pds? Cos I think your pds are more bf friendly than mine.

the foremilk is a bit bluish and thin but the hind milk is really yellowish or white in colour.

if she wets her diaper after every feed, and poops about 3-5 times a day, and her fontanelles are not sunk in, can i assume that she's in pretty good shape? She's also pretty alert.
    Last edited by uddermummy; 21-04-2009 at 07:54 PM.

ya judging from the poo n urine i think your girl should be ok mine also about the same she poop quite often 5-6times a day

my pediatrician is from gleneagles the kidz clinic Dr Yeo Kim Lian a lady she's pretty ok with bf as long as baby weight is doing well...

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by missblue18 View Post
    ya judging from the poo n urine i think your girl should be ok mine also about the same she poop quite often 5-6times a day

my pediatrician is from gleneagles the kidz clinic Dr Yeo Kim Lian a lady she's pretty ok with bf as long as baby weight is doing well...
    thanks! miss blue