Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

BF cause baby stomach to be bloated??

This is a discussion on BF cause baby stomach to be bloated?? within the Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group forum, part of the MummySG Special Group category; Will breastfeedin cause baby stomach to be bloated?? Cos my baby is 100% on breastfeedin and she has big bloated ...

BF cause baby stomach to be bloated??

Will breastfeedin cause baby stomach to be bloated?? Cos my baby is 100% on breastfeedin and she has big bloated stomach. is it normal for newborn to have bloated stomach or breastfeedin causes it?? what shld i do about it??

Re: BF cause baby stomach to be bloated??

my boy used to has that also, so bloated up to his chest area. He's also bf and latch on, no bottles at all. pediatrician unable to explain the reason and insert pill into his anus, letting him to give out all the air. But be prepare that there will be lots of poos coming with it also.

After that, he's given the rid wind medicine and reutefene drops. Even though i latch on, i was told to burp him every feed. It's a must, not a choice. So baby managed to burp most of the time. Also was advised to introduce pacifier to prevent baby from crying.

Did all the above and my boy gets better, no more big tummy.

I bought pacifier but baby doesnt like. She only want to suckle my breast and i cant cos i will overfeed her. and she keep crying at nite as she want to suckle. at my wits end now...

My boy still dislike it too but i forced him to suck on it. When he keeps sucking my breast, he will end up keeps vomiting it out. So wasteful ..

Usually I will hold the pacifier for a while to prevent him from spitting it out. Sometimes he sucks, sometimes he will get angrier (depends on his mood). If he doesnt suck, will try to carry in different ways, bring him to window or walk around to stop him from crying.

Imperial Concubine

my dear daughter is also like that.she will keep sucking for 1 hour and then she will puke all the milk out. very kelian.

her stomach will also get very bloated and the poor girl will be so irritable the whole day, carry also cannot, sleep also cannot.

turned out that she had gastric reflux. You want to ask your pediatrician to check for this?

dear daughter is now on meds and she's a happier baby!

yeah, burping is a must, and i also give her pacifier when she wants to suckle even tho she's full.

bbs who latch on directly dont't know how to use pacifiers, so you must hold the pacifier in the mouths until it stops dropping out. sometimes, bbs push the pacifiers out not because they dont't like it, but because they dont't know how to keep it in.

ya ya... The pacifier my baby will suck very hard then suck until angry. Her bloated stomach very bad so i let her lay face down and she will fart n burp then better. but after a while the bloated stomach come back again. so you suggest i bring her to doc??

My son also have bloated stomach. What i did was use ru yi yu to rub on my palm until warm and press on his belly button. Do this action a few times and you will see the stomach slowly subsides. If not, have to carry the baby and burp. Bloated stomach is due to wind in the stomach.

Ya i did that too.. But after a while the bloated stomach come back again... Is it due to bf?? When will their stomach not be bloated?? Sometime bloated until i also dont know is baby hungry annot.

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by fioncess View Post
    Ya i did that too.. But after a while the bloated stomach come back again... Is it due to bf?? When will their stomach not be bloated?? Sometime bloated until i also dont know is baby hungry annot.
    if stomach bloated, then best to burp and wait for some time before feeding?

btw, FM will cause even more bloating cos it's not as easily digested by baby's stomachs!

maybe you can try feeding your baby less, but more frequently?

for my dear daughter, i only feed her one breast each time. if i feed her both sides, she will def spit or vomit.

because of her reflux, dear daughter sometimes also give me very mixed signals. She full already still want to suckle, cos the sucking motion helps to keep the milk down and the milk helps to neutralise the acid from her stomach.

if her stomach is not full, i will give. if it's full, i will just have to try very hard to entertain her.

if your baby is really in discomfort, then you should take him to a pediatrician to put your mind at ease. I changed 5 pds because they were not familiar with reflux, and one stupid idiot even tried to get me to change to formula!!!

I've also tried ruyi oil, ridwind, detinox etc... all didn't help and i thought that i was a really lousy mother who couldn't handle my fussy dear daughter. A lot of the pds, as well as family members, made me feel that way too!

Now I'm with Dr Marion Au from NUH. She's very patient, very nice and won't make you feel like an idiot. The best part is she's very careful and is a gastro-intestinal expert. So even if it's not reflux, she'll be able to help you too.

And breast milk is actually the best you can give your boi and you're doing a good job! Some pple, even docs, will always try to put the blame on breast milk, but if the baby is allergic or lactose intolerant to milk, he will also be allergic or intolerant to most FM and sometimes even soy-based FM!!!

My boy's tummy only become normal after 6 weeks old and still look normal at 8 weeks+ now. Before that, it's on and off. You must make sure baby burp every feed, to get wind out of them. My boy can only burp when he's upright, not even in sitting position.

depends on what you eat too will affect the breast milk and baby - pediatrician told me...

Will breastfeedin cause baby stomach to be bloated?? Cos my baby is 100% on breastfeedin and she has big bloated stomach. is it normal for newborn to have bloated stomach or breastfeedin causes it?? what shld i do about it??

Imperial Concubine

Quote Originally Posted by Domique View Post
    depends on what you eat too will affect the breast milk and baby - pediatrician told me...

actually true... usual culprits are milk and dairy products, and sometimes also soybased products.

Oh. i just bring my baby to see a doc but the doc didnt tell mi what's the cause also. She even see whether did i latch on correctly. she say i did. so i also dont know what's the cause. she only give baby a med to get rid of the wind. try a few more days see it works annot... sianz...

Imperial Concubine

my baby used to b quite "windy" in the early stages and i realised it's due ot the chilli and gassy drinks that i took so i cut down on all those and he had no more problems.. now he's 4 months and no problem with wind anymore..

Worthy Consort

Usually breastfed babies get bloated because they are not latched properly. A good latch will minimise sucking of air & they usually will not be bloated if you burp them after every feed.

My son was bloated when we give EBM, during direct latch, he won't be bloated.