This is a discussion on Proper way to sterilise breast pump & store EBM at work within the Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group forum, part of the MummySG Special Group category; Thought it would be useful for all nurisng mummies to know what are the different ways to sterilise and proper ...
Thought it would be useful for all nurisng mummies to know what are the different ways to sterilise and proper way of EBM handling when at work... So I started this thread for mummies to share!
- Micro-steam bags: Such as those from Medela...
- Cold sterilise method: Once done with pumping, put all parts into zip lock bag or plastic container box and put in fridge or freezer.
- Hot water: Just scald the parts with hot water and use clean tissues to dry.
- Sterilise tablets: Apparently many mummies do not recommend this method because the tablets contains chemical. However, you may still use this method.
Storage and transport EBM:
1. Once done with expressing, store EBM in fridge (more inside rather than at or near the fridge door) or put them in cooler bag (with cooling element / ice packs).
*DO NOT FREEZE EBM AT WORK*
2. End of work day, just put all EBM into cooler bag to transport home.
3. Once home, store in fridge (to be consumed within the same day) or in freezer (for longer storage).
Please provide additional comments or if you feel the above is wrong.
BF journey starts here and wish every mummy success in BF!!
Room temp - 4 hours
Lower compartment - 24 hours
Freezer - 3 months
My supply was not a lot, so I combined the supply. If you need to thwart the milk from freezer, leave in the lower compartment overnight so that it can be thwart well instead of soaking in hot/warm water before feeding I felt.
You can read more in Breast Milk - Expressing and Storing*-*Huggies Singapore
I bought the bags from Pigeon. That are a lot of brands. For cost efficiency, I recommend bottles, as you can wash and reuse after sterilise. However again, it all depends on your supply as if a lot, storage will have a problem with bottles.
Takashimaya is still having the baby fair till this sunday. Maybe you want to buy at discount rates.
great tips for store milk.
Can refer to this website as well.
Mummy and Baby Stuff: Expressed Breastmilk (EBM) Storage Guidelines
ENjoy your journey in breastfeeding.