hi mummy, hope the below helps you. i've also dropped you a PM. =)
Hi mummies i have a few quires which i wld like to ask. Dear daughter is 4 mths old as o today. Have been giving partial bf everydae w/o fail for the past 4 mths. My quires as follows;
1) partial bf in my case is a mixture of direct latch, ebm( pump oni 2 times a day) n fm. friends have been telling me to go on tbf i hve tried but failed to do so due to some reasons but hve been giving partial bf to the best that i can for 4 mths now. actulli was also scolded by my gf y m i wasting my time doing all these 3 things when actulli all i need was to direct latch m i really wasting my time?
i won't say that you're wasting your time but direct latch is the most time-saving and convenient method. you give your baby the best, with the least hassle (except for the initial pain). if you can go total bfg, that is of course the best. if not, try to bfd as much as possible (and preferably thru direct latch cos baby's suction is the strongest) and give as few times FM as possible. Demand equals supply in breastfeeding, so the more often you directly latch and pump, the more milk your body will produce.
2) all this while i hve been told that i hve little breast milk , is baby drinking enuff , y b so hard on yourself etc etc but despite all these negative comments i,m still hanging on to bf ( direct n ebm) so ......i mean even though i did not mange to do tbf but i still deaserve something right you know wher i,m coming from?@ lest a pat on my back.
bravo for hanging on despite the negative comments you got! lots of breastfeeding mummies here had to put up with such unhelpful comments too, so you are not alone. *pat pat*
3) baby doesnt hve a fix routine for direct latch, ebm n fm is that alrite???? i mean she can b on fm in e am ebm pm n fm again in e nite is tis alrite ???? i mean so long she is drinking is fine rite?
it should be ok as long as she is poo-ing and pee-ing enough times per day, her poo is soft and her pee is not dark yellow-ish.
4) if i direct latch will oni b bcse my breast is full n i,m 2 lazy to pump or if not is bcse my pump is not avail. in tis instance i realised that when i maintain pumping i can get a good supply but once i stop pumping ( cse sometimes i direct lactch) i realised the same supply is not there anymore y is that so ??? i thought direct latch will bring in more milk rite ???? is it bcse my pattern is not consistent??? sometime pump sometime lactch???
yes, direct latch should bring in more milk because a baby's suction is stronger than any pump, provided that the latch is correct (her mouth covering your aureola, not just your nipples; your lips flared out) . just put your (washed clean) little finger into your baby's mouth to let her suck and you will know what i mean. =) how to you know your supply dropped when you bfd via direct latch? if you try to pump very shortly after bfg, chances are that you won't get much milk cos your baby would have cleared your breasts already.
5) hw to chase back my supply ??? is it possible to do it?? after 4mths somemore.
6) my pumping session is 1hr each session n 2 times a dae? when friends heared i pumped 1 hr they were shocked. m i overdoing it???? shld i b pumping like 30mins each breast n stop or pump until breast is soft ( which takes me 1hr n some time even though got nothing no more milk eg after 45mins i still carry on pumping m i doing it wrong ????
1h is rather long. but usu the guideline is to pump till breasts are soft as it's a sign that your breasts are clear. you should be able to observe how many times your let-down occurs before your breasts turn soft. eg, for me, it's two times. so usually i will pump till two let-downs have occurred and my breasts are soft that i will stop. continuing to pump after no more milk will not increase your milk supply instantly as your breasts need some time to 'fill up the tank', so to speak. drink more water throughout the day as it helps in milk production. also try to drink a hot drink before pumping to facilitate the let-down.
pls advise i need to know . thks. mummies love is e greatesst