Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

Breastmilk Yogurt

This is a discussion on Breastmilk Yogurt within the Introducing Solids & Feeding Your Fussy Toddlers forum, part of the Growing Up & Parenting category; I've received alot of PMs about breastmilk yogurt and how to make it. I have a yogurt machine at home ...

Worthy Consort
    Breastmilk Yogurt

I've received alot of PMs about breastmilk yogurt and how to make it.

I have a yogurt machine at home which makes yogurt in hygienic conditions so that it is safe for baby's consumption. I do not encourage making yogurt by boiling the milk then incubate it on your own as temperatures are not controlled and we do not know what else is growing inside the milk.

If you are really keen in giving your child yogurt made from your own breastmilk, I can help you for a token amount. It's all natural, no artificial preservatives or flavouring added.
    You will need to pass these to me:
    - 1L of breastmilk (or the current formula milk your child is used to)
    - 3-4 glass bottles with caps that can be sterilised (must be enough to store around 1L worth of yogurt)

Smaller quantities can be considered but it may not be worth the time and effort.

If you are adventurous enough to try making your own yogurt at home, here is the recipe:
    1L of milk
    1/2 cup natural yogurt or yogurt starters (follow instructions on your yogurt starter)

Equipment: digital thermometer for food (can measure up to 100 degrees celcius), glass bottles with caps (sterilised), clean pot (preferably new), thermal flask (those for porridge).

1. Heat milk on stove over low-medium heat. (You need not do this if you are using formula milk, simply use more hot water to make your milk warm)
    2. Measure the temperature of the milk, stirring it consistently. You need to let it heat till 60 degrees celcius (for frozen breast milk) and keep it at that temperate for at least 5 min.
    3. Pour the hot milk into a clean thermo flask. Cover the milk and allow to cool till 40 degrees celcius. Avoid leaving yogurt uncovered (You may want to cover it with plastic cling wrap instead to allow it to cool faster).
    4. Add in your yogurt starter or natural yogurt and allow the mixture to ferment. You need to keep it at a warm place with a constant temperature of around 40 degree celcius for at least 8hours.
    Empty vessels make the most noise

Re: Breastmilk Yogurt

Hi Stonston

1. Where can we get the digital thermometer for food?
    2. Can we use Baby's formula milk to make yoghurt? I have stopped pumping only direct
    latching. thats y....
    3. How long can we keep the yoghurt? My gal only takes small proportion of yoghurt..
    and i want to try making my own..

Imperial Concubine

stonston, where did you get the yoghurt machine?

Worthy Consort

Priya, you can buy the digital thermometer at Phoon Huat or most bakeries. It's like a long metal stick with a thermometer at the end.

Yes, you can use FM to make yogurt. It's also better for baby as it's their usual FM & their tummies will accept it better.

If the yogurt is kept well, you can keep it for up to 2 weeks. Kept well meaning that you use a clean spoon to scoop out what you need. Preferably you use small glass bottles & store small amounts in each container.

Uddermummy, I ordered it online from USA. But I think Robinson has it too, but it's around $300+ (based on what I saw in Dec 2008). I paid around SGD$200 include shipping fees
    Empty vessels make the most noise