Our Mobile App: iPhone · Android

• You are trying to conceive?
  • You have pregnancy questions?
  • How do you know whether your baby's teething or has a cold?
  • You have Family, home & financial issues?

...Then you have come to the right place!
we will try to help you with your problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

how to appeal for a flat and welfare aids?

This is a discussion on how to appeal for a flat and welfare aids? within the HDB, DBSS, Executive Condominium Discussion forum, part of the Home Planning Forum category; can anyone advise me on how to approach MP to ask for help? mine and my hubby's pay add up ...

how to appeal for a flat and welfare aids?

can anyone advise me on how to approach MP to ask for help?
    mine and my hubby's pay add up less than $2k per month (nett), need to pay for rental ($450), babysitter when i goes back to work in april, food, transport etc, pay also not enough to use..
    would like to seek help and hopefully can get a flat, rather than give other the $450, i prefer to use it to pay for my own flat..intend to apply for 4 room, so that i can rent the extra room out..
    had apply for various BTO, but queue no always very far~~
    how ar..? really scared money no enough, we as adult never eat nvm, but i'm afraid that if anything happen to my dear daughter (choy choy choy), we wld not have any extra money for her..

Re: how to appeal for a flat and welfare aids?

Quote Originally Posted by paull View Post
    can anyone advise me on how to approach MP to ask for help?
    mine and my hubby's pay add up less than $2k per month (nett), need to pay for rental ($450), babysitter when i goes back to work in april, food, transport etc, pay also not enough to use..
    would like to seek help and hopefully can get a flat, rather than give other the $450, i prefer to use it to pay for my own flat..intend to apply for 4 room, so that i can rent the extra room out..
    how ar..? really scared money no enough, we as adult never eat nvm, but i'm afraid that if anything happen to my dear daughter (choy choy choy), we wld not have any extra money for her..
    find out who is your MP in your constituency. usually the MP will come around once a week and that is when people will come to wait for a meeting with the MP. you need to find our where and which day the sessions is held. dont need to make appt. just go over and some volunteers will register your name and give you a queue number.. but be there early.. cos usually quite a lot of people. as for BTO. usually if you are unsuccessful in balloting you will get an additional chance in your next application and so on. i hope your situation wil improve, dont lose hope. if im not wrong you can make an appeal to hdb. explain to them your situation that you cant afford to pay the high rental every month. but you need to go down to hdb and enquire. wish you all the best of luck.

Imperial Concubine PinkDiamonds's Avatar

Just to share with you this, hubby and I are paying about $800 a month for our 4 room flat. When you apply for a flat, HDB will consider whether you can afford for the flat or not, so I am not sure if they will let you purchase a flat, even if you say you want to rent out a room to finance the flat. I am not sure, but are utilities like power and gas included in the $450 rental? Cause when you buy your own flat, you need to bear in mind the extra costs like power, gas, water, and the monthly conservancy charges.

Also, let's say you manage to buy a flat. Unless it's BTO, some flats will require you to do some renovation, especially if the flooring is hacked away. For mine, I bought a 1985 flat from HDB direct. There was nothing in the kitchen so we had to spend some money doing it. Even if you want to put simple cabinets, you also need to spend money and get a cooking stove. Other than that the toilets were in usable condition and there were some powerpoints for us to use.

When you get your own place, you also need to get some furniture cause I am quite sure you dont't want to live in an empty flat right?

Have you considered putting your girl in infant care? Some infant care will cost less than a babysitter, which I think is around $700/month.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it's helpful.
    More inspirations for mothers like you at MeaningfulMotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDiamonds View Post
    Just to share with you this, hubby and I are paying about $800 a month for our 4 room flat. When you apply for a flat, HDB will consider whether you can afford for the flat or not, so I am not sure if they will let you purchase a flat, even if you say you want to rent out a room to finance the flat. I am not sure, but are utilities like power and gas included in the $450 rental? Cause when you buy your own flat, you need to bear in mind the extra costs like power, gas, water, and the monthly conservancy charges.

Also, let's say you manage to buy a flat. Unless it's BTO, some flats will require you to do some renovation, especially if the flooring is hacked away. For mine, I bought a 1985 flat from HDB direct. There was nothing in the kitchen so we had to spend some money doing it. Even if you want to put simple cabinets, you also need to spend money and get a cooking stove. Other than that the toilets were in usable condition and there were some powerpoints for us to use.

When you get your own place, you also need to get some furniture cause I am quite sure you dont't want to live in an empty flat right?

Have you considered putting your girl in infant care? Some infant care will cost less than a babysitter, which I think is around $700/month.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it's helpful.
    if really can get a flat, we wld need to plan what to buy first, maybe a piece of furniture a month, and we really hope to get a flat, be it 2 rm or what, cuz we're currently staying at my bro in law house, alot of things need to take note, canot this canot that..really stay until very stress..as for the monthly electricity charge, we wld of cuz save here save there, think wun be more than $450 ..

i consider infant care before, but as i'm wrking in hotel, need to work shift (midnight also), and my hubby wrk long hours in sales line, thus unable to reach hm at 7pm to bring my baby back..if want someone to bring baby back and take care of her until me or my hubby comes back, need to give money also right..sigh..

Oh i see. I'm not sure if there's new ruling, but in 2008 when I applied, we did try for 3-rm and below flats, but we didn't get it cause income too high I guess.

You can actually try to look out for these as usually they have ready to move in flats. Since you are applying for the first time then I think you will get more priority especially since you also have a child. You can sign up at HDB for their notifications so that they can email you whenever they have something like this going on.
    More inspirations for mothers like you at MeaningfulMotherhood

ya i did..but also never get
    somemore now resale so ex, no money give cov..

ya i did..but also never get
    somemore now resale so ex, no money give cov..
    What was your queue number like?

I guess hdb will ask you to apply for 3room flat instead of 4room... so did you went to MP for help?

wah..my queue no is like 700, 2052 ..impossible to get ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Queenbabe View Post
    I guess hdb will ask you to apply for 3room flat instead of 4room... so did you went to MP for help?
    agree.. since your household income is not that high..

and as what i know if you get the loan from HDB, the monthly payment amount is 25% of your income. if you are getting a 4 room flat (which cost higher) and your income is lower, that will take alot of decades for you to actually pay up the loan amount. is it worth it to get tied for so many decades just for a 4room flat, so you can rent out one room?

Personally, I dont think going to MP helps, as i tried for my own housing matters also. the MP doesnt helps at all.. (Maybe it's my area's MP's prob) help me wrote a letter to HDB to appeal, i wrote to HDB myself too.. and ends up the result is the same!

if you cant wait for new flats, try buying from HDB those resale flats, flats that are repurchased, etc by HDB?

E-Sales
    When I keep quiet, doesn't means I know nothing about what is going on~!!

Items For Clearance!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/41233425@N03/

Worthy Consort

Actually, based on your financial status, 4rm is possible if you buy low levels & are not fussy about the area (e.g. Fernvale will be cheaper cos it's not very near MRT but got LRT).

But 3rm will be more comfortable & managable for you unless you see a possible increase in your salaries in the near future.

Another alternative while you try for BTO, get HDB's rental flat. Rents are cheaper & there's more privacy. Plus they recently added alot of new supply of rental flats, should be easier to get one. In this case, MP can help you to appeal & get a house first (seeing that baby is on the way).
    Empty vessels make the most noise

Quote Originally Posted by mag_huiling View Post

and as what i know if you get the loan from HDB, the monthly payment amount is 25% of your income. if you are getting a 4 room flat (which cost higher) and your income is lower, that will take alot of decades for you to actually pay up the loan amount. is it worth it to get tied for so many decades just for a 4room flat, so you can rent out one room?

Personally, I dont think going to MP helps, as i tried for my own housing matters also. the MP doesnt helps at all.. (Maybe it's my area's MP's prob) help me wrote a letter to HDB to appeal, i wrote to HDB myself too.. and ends up the result is the same!

if you cant wait for new flats, try buying from HDB those resale flats, flats that are repurchased, etc by HDB?

E-Sales
    for hdb resale flats, need to ballot also..and not everytime have ..the previous one i apply before also, also cant get..
    for market resale flat, cov is just crazy..cant afford to pay the cash..
    how can i write to hdb? dont know what to say

hmm ya , think go for 3rm ..but also must see can get anot..if can get 2rm i also dont mind..

Quote Originally Posted by stonston View Post
    Actually, based on your financial status, 4rm is possible if you buy low levels & are not fussy about the area (e.g. Fernvale will be cheaper cos it's not very near MRT but got LRT).

But 3rm will be more comfortable & managable for you unless you see a possible increase in your salaries in the near future.

Another alternative while you try for BTO, get HDB's rental flat. Rents are cheaper & there's more privacy. Plus they recently added alot of new supply of rental flats, should be easier to get one. In this case, MP can help you to appeal & get a house first (seeing that baby is on the way).

would hdb rental flat be cheaper than what i'm paying now?

for hdb resale flats, need to ballot also..and not everytime have ..the previous one i apply before also, also cant get..
    for market resale flat, cov is just crazy..cant afford to pay the cash..
    how can i write to hdb? dont know what to say

hmm ya , think go for 3rm ..but also must see can get anot..if can get 2rm i also dont mind..
    I also agree with stonston.. maybe you can apply for rental flat first, then apply for purchase after the 2yrs (i think), when your finances are more stable. and when you purchase a 3rm flat after renting from hdb, you're given priority.

ballot for the resale flats?? im not very sure, mayb there's alot of pple wanting the same flat bah..

Write to HDB telling them your situation, tell them how badly you need a flat. say something as abd as you can, so they will think you really need a flat. :P

You 1st timer, both you n hubby never own a HDB flat? Sporean? Thot if satisfy these 2, you got better chance than others?

Or can go tikam ... the last 'sales' I found was Oct09, think quarterly or half-yearly. These resale flats on 'offer' are mkt price but you need not pay COV ... very little cash required compared to open mkt transaction! Just pay $10 to take part in lucky draw. Most flats r in move-in condition (a bit of painting will do) thus just need to buy furniture.
    Last edited by Angelmum; 27-03-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelmum View Post
    You 1st timer, both you n hubby never own a HDB flat? Sporean? Thot if satisfy these 2, you got better chance than others?

Or can go tikam ... the last 'sales' I found was Oct09, think quarterly or half-yearly. These resale flats on 'offer' are mkt price but you need not pay COV ... very little cash required compared to open mkt transaction! Just pay $10 to take part in lucky draw. Most flats r in move-in condition (a bit of painting will do) thus just need to buy furniture.
    Actually when I applied for my flat, I was given quite a good queue number - 157. My sister also applied first time and she got 37.

I think you can keep trying cause it's quarterly to half yearly.

I remember the morning I joined a thread for those who applied in the came balloting exercise as me, most of those who got good queue numbers are all young couples.

Maybe just a matter of luck?

I'm first timer, never buy flat before, young couple, but still cant get ..
    maybe just suay ..
    i applied for almost all of the BTO past few months, still cant get ;(

I'm first timer, never buy flat before, young couple, but still cant get ..
    maybe just suay ..
    i applied for almost all of the BTO past few months, still cant get ;(
    like you im also 1st timer and had been trying for a flat from hdb since 2007 with no luck. quarterly sale, half yearly, bto.. i had actually thought that being 1st timers with a son we had good chances, unfortunately no. really disheartened that we have to resort to open market though we know of the cov involved. managed to get one with low cov but had to borrow the money cos my hubby is the only one working and we dont have much cash to spare. i understand your predicament cos i was in your shoes too.

Quote Originally Posted by mag_huiling View Post

Before i get my BTO, i did went to MP also.... even they help to write in to HDB also no use....

Soon your luck will be here.... the 1st time i apply under half yearly my q. no over 3000 or 4000 zzzzzzzzzz

Oh maybe you can try to approach the MP of either of your parents' place for help?

I have a friend who tried to get a flat within 1km of their parents' place but couldn't get. They approached their MP for help saying that they want to live within close vicinity of their parents'. Maybe you can consider purchasing a flat near your parents' and ask your MP based on this.

Worthy Lady

Actually when i purchase my hdb flat that time, we thought of finding MP for help... but was told it was useless as there is only a "limit" flats for sale, find MP also cannot help you anything... the only way is to wait and queue.... reason given to us is if MP can help you, then all ppl will go find MP already... coz now all small family wanna live near parents, or some is shot gun marriage.... all consider urgent... then how are they going to classify which one is really urgent?? so to be fair, all queue and wait....

OR rent a flat from HDB... BTW HDB has this policy whereby a person can purchase the rental flat ( 1 room flat to 3 room flat) which they rent from HDB.... MP can help you to appeal for rental flat then from there you can request to purchase the flat after living in it for a while...

I seriously dont't think you should be applying for a 4 room flat. Me and hubby combined income is about $3k but we dont't dare to even dream of applying for a 4 room flat. You may think that you can rent the room out but shit happens and we should think carefully. If you have no tenant for 6 months, can you still survive and pay your monthly installments?

seriously speaking unless your getting BTO flat that is 4-rm if not there is NO WAY you can afford or allow to buy 4rm flat bcoz regardless is HDB loan or bank loan, they wont allow to approve your loan if your getting 4rm. BTO 4rm flat you might have chance to get it but if is resale flat then trust me you cannot afford at all.'

My hubby pay is 3k even he himself can barely afford to pay the $$$ of monthly installment but of coz hdb loan allow him to loan but for your case i dont tink so~

For you, you can now buy BTO 4-rm or resales 3rm~ BTW if your getting resale...the COV nowadays r crazy~ be prepare for paying at least 20k if not you will have to find very long to get a unit with low COV or zero COV but provided your lucky~

ya ..now cov is crazy..
    ya we're applying for BTO 4 rm as we've calculated , our pay can purchased flat around $230k, 4rm bto around that price also..
    but resale, confirm cannot ~~

ya ..now cov is crazy..
    ya we're applying for BTO 4 rm as we've calculated , our pay can purchased flat around $230k, 4rm bto around that price also..
    but resale, confirm cannot ~~
    yalor so your choice now is only BTO 4rm but you have to b lucky to get ballot a unit plus you need to wait another 3-4yrs before the flat is fully build n you can move in~ If you really cant wait then get 3rm resale bah~ but still need high COV ~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast