Employing maid

joeichen

Thinking of employing a maid after I give birth.
Any agency to recommend and how much is the cost?
Agency is up to u coz not all maid fr certain agency r gd, some small agency oso have gd maid.
Agent fee is diff coz it depend on agency charge.
Some agency need u pay everything 1 time, whereas so can allow every mth payment, est is abt 2500 - 3500 depend on maid loan oso.
Maid's pay is abt 300 min to max 800 but depend on maid exp etc.
Levy for taking care of elderly or kids is $170.

anntan

Thank you for the information.

Is it better to go for agency? As I have heard some you can do it yourself,is it cheaper that way?

stonston

If you have contacts for maids who have ready passport and want to come to SG, you can go to MOM to apply on your own.

Agencies help you to source for the maid. Frankly, it depends alot on luck. Some agencies can give u good Indon maids, but their Filipino maids may not be good.

For my agent, the Indon (ex-msia) maids she gave us are all very good. But the Filipinos maids we got from them are nightmares. But wot's more impt is I've found my current maid who i find is ideal for my family.

Regarding expenses, I'm paying my maid $350 every month. $170 for levy. $20 - 50 per month for misc (see doc, food, sanitary pad, shampoo, soap, phone calls back to indonesia). every 6mths medical check up ard $20-30. then extra expenses for food n utilities (i estimate my food bill onli increase by ard $60 with maid cos she dun eat alot).

So total a safe estimate to set aside is ard $650 - $700 for employing a maid. haven add upfront u need to pay agent fees (my agent fees was $300++).

joeichen

I agreed. Mine was abt $550.
If u have contact or some ppl recomend u maid u can do self employing.
I'm doing it nw, I ask the maid do her passport then send me her details.
I will apply online at MOM site then within 1-2 days u can get a reply fr MOM.
Once approve u can apply for her bond, ins, air ticket.
U muz oso prepare a contact for the maid.

mummy84

If you have contacts for maids who have ready passport and want to come to SG, you can go to MOM to apply on your own.

Agencies help you to source for the maid. Frankly, it depends alot on luck. Some agencies can give u good Indon maids, but their Filipino maids may not be good.

For my agent, the Indon (ex-msia) maids she gave us are all very good. But the Filipinos maids we got from them are nightmares. But wot's more impt is I've found my current maid who i find is ideal for my family.

Regarding expenses, I'm paying my maid $350 every month. $170 for levy. $20 - 50 per month for misc (see doc, food, sanitary pad, shampoo, soap, phone calls back to indonesia). every 6mths medical check up ard $20-30. then extra expenses for food n utilities (i estimate my food bill onli increase by ard $60 with maid cos she dun eat alot).

So total a safe estimate to set aside is ard $650 - $700 for employing a maid. haven add upfront u need to pay agent fees (my agent fees was $300++).
Hi Stonston,

May i know which agency u go to? I'm thinkin of getting a maid for my new born and yet worry i cnt get a good ones.

U may PM me if its not so convenient to reveal it here.

suronne

I agreed. Mine was abt $550.
If u have contact or some ppl recomend u maid u can do self employing.
I'm doing it nw, I ask the maid do her passport then send me her details.
I will apply online at MOM site then within 1-2 days u can get a reply fr MOM.
Once approve u can apply for her bond, ins, air ticket.
U muz oso prepare a contact for the maid.
Hi how much do you pd for her bond, insurance and air ticket.

total how much have u spend to direct hire a maid.

thks

stonston

Asset at Hougang Green (2nd level small agency at the corner)

But warn u first, so far I dun hv any good experiences with their transfer maids or Filipino maids. Best recommended you get experienced indon maid (best worked in west msia for big family - ang moh or indian family) cos their command of english is slightly better and their level of hygiene is better also.

my previous indon maid (very good maid also) worked for ang moh family. the way she look after baby is very professional, like hire private nurse like tt. my current indon maid worked for indian family (very rich family), her level of hygiene is higher than mine n she looks after my son very well.

try to get those with kids, cos their motivation factor to work hard is their kids. my current maid wanna work hard here to send her son to private school and i've even helped her work out a budget to pay her his fees when he starts school next yr (and i'm helping her to send her money direct to the school for his fee payments, and some cash back to her family for expenses).

but again, it also depends on luck. tell the agent ur requirements and see how they recommend :)

Hi Stonston,

May i know which agency u go to? I'm thinkin of getting a maid for my new born and yet worry i cnt get a good ones.

U may PM me if its not so convenient to reveal it here.

ping26

Thank you for the information.

Is it better to go for agency? As I have heard some you can do it yourself,is it cheaper that way?

You should never do a DIY if you're a first time employer.

I'm replacing my current helper as we have totally spoiled her. I'm going back to work soon. I chose another maid & all I have to do is send her to the agency. Otherwise, I'll have to send her back to Indo & liase with MOM & get another helper. She may run away.... it's too much trouble for a first-timer.

Just get an agency which yr friends or relatives have current dealings. My agency, Swift Arrow (Yishun) doesn't care abt our complaints or maid's welfare at all. But they'll process everything properly with some pressure. Some terms can be negotiated.

This is where the $488 agency fee comes in useful.

elmo493

Who is paying 800 for a maid?

Agency is up to you coz not all maid fr certain agency are good, some small agency also have good maid.
Agent fee is diff coz it depend on agency charge.
Some agency need you pay everything 1 time, whereas so can allow every month payment, est is about 2500 - 3500 depend on maid loan also.
Maid's pay is about 300 min to max 800 but depend on maid exp etc.
Levy for taking care of elderly or kids is $170.

LoVeS

sorry for out of topic ~ I am tinking of employing a maid to take care of my baby too but i knw maid cant take care of baby at midnite rite? As they cant work 24/7~ So why do mummies still employ maid to take care of baby?

joeichen

sorry for out of topic ~ I am thinking of employing a maid to take care of my baby too but i knw maid cant take care of baby at midnite rite? As they cant work 24/7~ So why do mummies still employ maid to take care of baby?
Yes, u can request maid to take care of bb at nite.
As long as u make sure she have enough rest, but make sure u let the maid know she is gg to take care of new born...
Alot of maid does not know how to take care of new born so u muz make sure u teach them well.

LoVeS

Yes, you can request maid to take care of baby at nite.
As long as you make sure she have enough rest, but make sure you let the maid know she is gg to take care of new born...
Alot of maid does not know how to take care of new born so you must make sure you teach them well.
taking care of newborn will the maid request for more pay bcoz of tat?:err:

stonston

Usually they cant request more $$ jus cos take care of newborn. But some of them cant take the stress and strain of taking care of newborn. I picked a maid who is more mature and has a kid herself so she is very patient with my boy.

And sometimes my boy sick, she stay up to look after him, I'll give her permission to nap with my son in the afternoon. My maid wont nap, she'll onli lie down beside my boy when he nap. She jus lie there and rest only. she dare not nap even though we gave her permission already.

SunShine07

My agency fee is only $88, They let me separate the payment of loan into 2 month installment. Maid loan $1800 (transfer maid just work for 4 mths) Fillipino maid. She is good also. Really depends on luck loh, my sis paid agency fee for 400+ but the maid not very good.

Tricia

My agency fee is only $88, They let me separate the payment of loan into 2 month installment. Maid loan $1800 (transfer maid just work for 4 mths) Fillipino maid. She is good also. Really depends on luck loh, my sis paid agency fee for 400+ but the maid not very good.

Which agency did you go?

Mum of Two

well, employing maid really depend on luck i feel...
as for me, i'm quite unluckily... 3rd maid in 1 year....
and we're thinking of changing again.. headaches!!!!
my advise is if got other alternatives, pls try to avoid employing maids....
it's like putting a time bomb beside you....

I recommend my maid agency. PM me for details... Its my mum friend so I dont know if she is ok to let me post like that or not.

As for my maid, she got help me take care of my baby even at night, i'll take turns with her, like 1,3,5 me. then 2,4,6 her. depends also... then noon time i see i ask her go rest too if like the nite b4 she took care of the baby... or sum times i tell her to get up lata...

Last edited:

joeichen

taking care of newborn will the maid request for more pay bcoz of that?:err:
U have to tell the agent u r employing to take care of new born, if ur agent is gd they will recomend u...
From wat i knw they dun have the rite to ask for more pay... coz my maid didnt but we give n take lor... we let the maid rest during the day when bb is sleeping