ribena

Hello
I'm a mum of 2 boys age 6 & 3 currently living in UK. We will be relocating to Spore in Oct. My eldest has Asperger (He is coping well with school just need support on social side) and the youngest has communication disorder and a working diagnosis of ASD. Can anyone advice on schooling for my boys (primary/preschool)? Will be living near/around Novena. Does anyone know any primary school with good support for special education needs? How's Anglo Chinese primary school? Or St Joseph? Any info will be much appreciated. Thanks.

stonston

In SG right now, MOE has allocated some schools (primary and secondary) as resource schools. Which means the number of teachers trained in special needs is higher and there are more support staff who are specially trained in special needs. And they will hv more resources to cater to taking in special needs students who want to attend mainstream schools.

I don't have the list of schools off-hand, but you can try to email MOE for more information.

Angelmum

Special School or Home Schooling?

They are a number of resources to help the parent of a special needs child, depending on the level of severity of the child's issues. Some children may not be able to attend school for medical or psychological reasons, so therefore home schooling is a possible option for a special needs child. Consider a child with severe attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, behaviour problems, autism, or even a child with an auto-immune disorder who is susceptible to every type of germ imaginable. It is not appropriate or beneficial for these special needs children to be in a traditional school environment.

Some special needs children may be on oxygen, in a wheelchair or require regular medications throughout the day and schools are required to make special accommodations available for these kids

Children diagnosed with visual or physical disabilities can attend mainstream schools (from primary to tertiary level), as long as the schools are equipped with the right facilities to enable easy navigation for these students, trained staff support them in their studies, so as to enable these students to cope with the mainstream curriculum.

MOE provides children with special needs the opportunity to maximise their own learning paths and participate in society. The ministry training 10% of the teachers in mainstream schools at the certificate level. The training will provide a broad understanding of special needs and effective teaching approaches and strategies .. parents need to find the right school with the right teacher and environment.

There are help forums and information available on the internet. We would encourage parents of Special needs child to read and understand as much as they could which will help built-up the understanding with their child and this is extremely important in the long run.

Currently, Spore has twenty-one local run Special Needs Schools (given the title 'SPED' abbreviated for 'Special Education'). Each of these are run by 'Voluntary Welfare Organisations' (VWO) and funded by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the National Council of Social Services (NCSS).

Asian Women's Welfare Association (AWWA)
The AWWA School runs an 'Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children' (EIPIC), from birth to 4 years and a special educational 'Programme for Children with Multiple Handicaps' (PCMH) between the ages of 4 to 12 years. Also, since 2001, the school has catered for children with Autism and behavioural concerns under the title 'Project Challenge'.

Association for Persons with Special Needs (APSN)
There are four APSN schools in Singapore, which cater for children with moderate learning difficulties 1, with IQ's between 50 and 70. Children between the ages of 6 and 12 can either attend Chao Yang School, or Katong School 2. Children between the ages of 13 and 16 can attend Tanglin School and those between the ages of 17 and 19 can attend Delta Senior School, which prepares the students for employment through a range of pre-vocational training programmes.

Autism Resource Centre (ARC)
Pathlight School was opened in 2004 and caters for children between 6 and 16 who have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Pathlight School was the first school to offer mainstream education for children with specific special educational needs who have IQ's above 75. It caters for children cognitively able to cope with the mainstream syllabus yet unable to cope socially and emotionally in mainstream school. Students are provided with autism friendly facilities, small class sizes and qualified teaching staff in the field of autism.

Autism Association (Singapore) (AAS)
The AAS are the latest to open a special needs school in Singapore. The Singapore Autism School opened in 2005. Similar to Pathlight School, SAS caters for children between 6 and 16 who are on the Autistic Spectrum.

Canossian Daughters of Charity (CDC)
The CDC operates a primary school known as the Canossian School for the Hearing Impaired (CSHI). On reaching Primary Six the pupils take the Primary School Leaving Exam (PSLE) and, depending on their results, will either transfer to a mainstream school catered for children with hearing impairment or to the 'Vocational School for the Handicapped'. The 'Magdalene Kindergarten' is a feeder school for pre-primary aged children with hearing impairment.

Metta Welfare Association (MWA)
The MWA runs the Metta School which caters for children with mild to moderate learning difficulties, with I.Q.'s between 55 and 75. The age range for the Metta School is 6 until 18 years old.

Movement for the Intellectually Disabled (MINDS)
There are five MINDS schools, which cater for children with moderate to severe learning difficulties, with IQ's below 50. Children between the ages of 4 and 18 can either attend Lee Kong Chian Gardens School, Guillemard Gardens School, Towner Gardens School, Woodlands Gardens School or Yio Chu Kang Gardens School. On leaving school, students have the opportunity to either attend one of the two MINDS Day Activity Centres at Clementi or Ang Mo Kio, or attend one of the three MINDS Employment Development Centres / Sheltered Workshops.

Presbyterian Community Services (PCS)
Since 2002, the PCS has run the Grace Orchard School (GOS) for children between the ages of 7 and 16 years, with mild learning difficulties and IQ's from 55 to 70.

Rainbow Centre (RC)
The Rainbow Centre operates two schools, namely, Margaret Drive Special School (MDSS) and Yishun Park School. Both schools cater for children with Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and other neurological conditions. The schools follow three programmes: 1) 'Early Intervention for Infants and Children' under 4 years old; 2) 'Programme for Children with Multiple Handicaps' between 4 and 16 years; and 3) 'Structured Teaching for Exceptional Pupils' (STEP), for children with Autism up to the age of 12 years.

Singapore Association for the Deaf (SADeaf)
The SADeaf runs a primary school known as the Singapore School for the Deaf. On reaching the age of 14 the students can transfer to the 'Vocational School for the Handicapped' or, if able to pass the PSLE, can transfer to a designated mainstream school as listed in footnote 3.

Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped (SAVH)
The SAVH operates a primary school known as the Singapore School for the Visually Handicapped. The majority of students follow the mainstream curriculum, although there is also a remedial class for slow learners and a special class for children with multiple disabilities. On passing the PSLE the students can transfer to a mainstream school 4. The SAVH also runs a 'Vocational Training Centre' which is for people with visual impairment aged 18 and above.

Spastic Children's Association of Singapore (SCAS)
The SCAS runs the Spastic Children's Association School for children with cerebral palsy between the ages of 5 and 18 years. The school curriculum is modified to meet the varying needs of each student. Additionally, SCAS have recently set up a programme called the 'Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children‘ (EIPIC) which caters for children, from 0 to 6 years old, with Cerebral Palsy, other physical disabilities and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Vocational training and employment is also available at the SCAS 'Goodwill Rehabilitation and Occupational Workshop' (GROW).

St. Andrew's Autism Centre (SAAC)
St. Andrew's Autism School caters for children with ASD from the ages of 7 to 18 years. It also runs a Day Activity Centre for ages 16 to 55 years.

Privately Run / Foreign System Schools
In addition to the above, Genesis School is a special school, commercially run, which caters to children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Communication Disorders, Attention Deficit Disorders and Learning Difficulties, from the age of 3. Individual Educational Programmes are provided for each child in addition to on-going assessments and small class sizes.

Dover Court Preparatory School is an International School, which runs mainstream, English as a Second Language (ESL) and Special Educational Needs classes ranging from primary to junior levels. The special needs department provides small class sizes, qualified teaching staff, teaching assistants in each class group and educational programmes catered to each individual child. Opportunity to integrate with the mainstream classes is practiced.

Furthermore, some International mainstream schools such as the Australian International School, International School of Singapore, Tanglin Trust School and the American School is open to take children with mild special educational needs. The latter school has full time speech therapists for both the primary and secondary school's.

Helping Special Students Integrate Better into Society :
Schoolbag.sg: Helping Special Students Integrate Better into Society
Note: Pathlight School was opened in 2004 and caters for children between 6 and 16 who have an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Meanwhile, Early intervention schools might be yr choice for younger kid.

stonston

Angelmum, pathlight is not a mainstream school.

Ribena, i hv students who have asperger and are coping well in mainstream schools. For my school we try our best to place tt student in classes where the teachers are trained in special needs (i'm one of them, tt's y they r in my class) :) there are some special allowances given to students with special needs also :)

ribena

Hello Angelmum & stonston

Thanks for the infos.

I have looked up moe website and the spedschool listed are not mainstream school, are they?

My eldest has (to me) a mild asperger syndrome. Academically he is coping well. In fact I see him as a little bit "out of sync" that's all...you know ..likes to play but dont always get it right..unable to understand unwritten social rules..etc. We are lucky here as most schools have special education needs coordinator (SenCo) and my son is very well supported in class and in the play ground ( with the use of visual timetable, play buddy, quite corner/ special interrest corner - he's into engines/moto/fans)

I know there are loads of good schools in Spore but it's impossible for me to comb thru every single one of them. So I'm at the moment concentrating on/ around Novena area as that's where hubby will be based.

So ... anyone out there who can share their knowledge about Anglo Chinese Primary School or any other school nearby ? Eg class size? Are theachers supported by helper in the class? Special Educiation department availablility? Homework load? Etc

Once again, thanks for any help and advice..much needed!

have a good day

ps: sorry for delay in reply..time difference..

stonston

Angelmum, they offer mainstream syllabus, but it's not considered a mainstream school :)

Ribena, it's best to email the school direct with all your questions. Request to link up with the FTSC (full time school counsellor) to check out what's the resources and care they have available to help your kid should you enrol him there. Resource schools will have a Special Needs Officer. Sorry I can't help much with Novena area as I'm not teaching in that cluster :)