Help 6 year old daughter refuses to give up diapers!

Katlyn

My daughter still has to wear diapers both day and night for both wetting and soiling accidents. I've tried potty training her when she was 3 and again when she was 5 but she just doesn't want to use the toilet at all. I've taken her to multiple doctors to check her but they have all told me that she had no problems. I've also asked her why she doesn't use the toilet and she told me that she just finds it easier to use her diaper than the toilet. Any advice on how to get her out diapers would be amazing thank you.

Last edited:

babyalice

I think i may seem rude but i'm not. I advise you just not buy diapers anymore. So she could use a toilet and and in contrary situation if she doesn't want to go to the toilet and pees in her underwear just leave her like this for a few minutes so that she doesn't like to stay like this and then change her clothes. I'm sure if you try it a couple of times she'll get rid of diapers. Just don't buy diapers anymore.

Katlyn

The issue I have with just talking away her diapers though is that she doesn't only wet herself but also poops herself and I'm not sure how I would go about taking her out to stores with me since I don't like to leave her home alone.

babyalice

Then go to the store with her when she just used a toilet so she couldn't wet herself at the store. Say to her that it's not OK to wear diapers cause she is already too big/adult to do so and her friends and other little girls and boys use a toilet. If she wet herself not wearing diapers i mean if she wet herself in underwear than just let her stay like this. Go with her to the store or anywhere else so she feels shy and not wanting anymore wear diapers.

babyalice

It will be very hard and stressful maybe but i think after some time she would use a toilet. I think she would rather go outside in clean and dry clothes than being wet.

Katlyn

What about things like furniture or the inside of my car if she pees or poops on the furniture or the car that's going to be hard to clean up and probably stain it

babyalice

It's only my advice...you have to do as you feel. But just think about the reason WHY she's doing what she does. Because she is USED TO do so. Because she knows that it doesn't take much effort to wet and poop in diapers..it is easier to do it in diapers because she is used to do it that use a toilet...It means she has to go to the toilet..use toilet paper...than wash her hands...So much effort and so many things to do! But when she will do this every time when she wants to go to a toilet and she will know that there is no diapers on her and there is no diapers at home...and being wet and pooped it's not quite pleasant...then she'll go to a toilet. Just take yourself in hands and do not give in to a pity for beginning.

Katlyn

Ok so if I do take away all her diaper a should I not even let her wear them at night or should I let her wear them just for night time. And I have a family event coming up tommorow should I let her wear diapers just for that or should I also make her go diaper less.

babyalice

Tell her you're not happy about it. Make her clean the furniture and sit in the car with you. Let her help you. Or use an oilcloth on her seat so that she poops on the oilcloth in the car and not on the seat.

Last edited:

Katlyn

Also school will be opening up soon what should I do about that should I make her go to school with her diapers or at least give her those for school

babyalice

I repeat, this is my opinion and maybe i may seem too rude...but sometimes you have to be so to solve some problems.

Katlyn

I understand and I want to try your way but things like school and public events are also what worries me like I don't know if it would be bad to let her wear a diaper for those things

babyalice

I think you should throw out all the diapers and not even put them on your daughter at night. Throw them away forever. They no longer exist. Yes, you will clean the linen and bed every day, but then she will lose the habit and go to the toilet. I think that if you don't care about the opinion of your friends at tomorrow's event who will see her without diapers and she will wet herself in front of them (maybe/or maybe she will use a toilet) then you can not put diapers on her. Just get some wet wipes and a change of clothes tomorrow so you can change her dirty clothes for clean ones later and that's it.

babyalice

Even at school, before she goes to school often explain to her that if she does not go to the toilet all her classmates will laugh at her and she will not have friends. Talk about this problem with the teachers, let them ask her alone if she does not need to go to the toilet. Even if she pees herself in school, they will laugh at her once and soon forget everything. In any case, they will laugh at her when they find out that she wears diapers or when she pees in front of everyone.

Katlyn

Hello just reporting back but things are not going so great right now if anyone has anymore advice that would extremely usefull

katytan

@Katlyn you need to be firm and stick with zero diapers policy.

Maybe your daughter needs a psychologist? Why does she insist on wearing diapers. Is there some trauma in the past? Or is she just lazy.