How to choose a gd Sec sch?

Angelmum

How to find a gd school (not too stressful nor those 'branded' sch that will make my child age n all my hairs drop) with gd 'O' results, gd environment to let students focus on study (hardly any or totally no gangsters/bullies)?

I've looked at some individual sch websites but how to get an overall comparison of yearly 'O' %, aggregate, etc near my area?

As for how gd the sch is, will I be able to sense something fm the students behaviour (thot of go walk walk, survey at sch under my radar)?

Ting

i believe all schs hv their delinquents.
unless those prestique schs? but of cos would stress on studies alr.
whether your child can get good Os, need to rely on how hard he studies, can he understand the subjects well.
of cos, peer pressure n teachers play a part too.

littlehelper

Erm i disagree with going to a good sch like raffles means the child will be good behaved ... If the child cannot cope with the studies then go to a high standard sch that is not withing his/her capability, she will be faced with undue pressure and may develop problems such as low-self esteem.They may even become wild as due to the amount of stress faced or if looked down they may retaliate and become bad.

I think the child should chose a sch that he/she is comfortable with and able to cope in.She should not chose the sch cos "my friends are all going there"If that is the case, she may not trully like the school.But i think most of the better schs are those that are not mixed schools.Of cos there are some exceptions...

You can chose a good sch by getting feedback from teachers of the school/parents/students.And also visit the school.Also take a look at some of their acheivements.I think one of the most important award is the "character development" award.

kitty

Actually environment is very important on the school ... ideally are those first tier secondary school (Raffles, Catholic and etc) ...

If your kids mixed with those "A" class students, how bad can they get as compared with an ahbeng on the streets?
Well, i don't agree that the above schools you mentioned don't have Ah Beng.I saw a few and some are from other good school too,like ACS,Victoria....It all depend on yourelf whether you'll be influence or not.All the scools have Ah Beng or Ah Lian,even gangsters!!!!

Angelmum

for all yr comments

You can chose a good sch by getting feedback from teachers of the school/parents/students.And also visit the school.Also take a look at some of their acheivements.I think one of the most important award is the "character development" award.
to get feedback must know insiders :001_302:

think easier to find "character development" award on net .... will do so when free

littlehelper

erm yeah sought of mus know insiders but also look for feedback from outsiders.Their impression of students there and stuff.Cos insiders may say good things about the school and all.Unless it is really bad and they themselves don't like it.

Ruth Wong

generally I believe there is 2 strategies mums can adopt regarding selection of sec school ..
(a) go to a top end school , presumably that such a school has good teachers, and also a competitive environment. In such an environment, a student may compete and excel, or he/she may feel beaten if he/she can't cope
(b) select a good but not top school and give your child room to grow up. A good school will also provide condusvie environ for your child to find himself and excel.
Personally I adopted the second strategy and my kids turned up pretty well.
Bottomline, either strategy is good but we must know our own kids ... if he is already matured and competitive, top school is good...
If the child is still finding his footing, I think the second strategy is better ... it gives the child time to grow up without undue stress.

virgo2829

my son is in a better school in the west cos he is eligible to choose Express/Normal but it turns out that he is still not able to perform academically...