Breastfeeding Fathers.

Ting

hi everyone,

not sure if this topic was posted b4 or if anyone knows abt this..
but ytd, when i was having my haircut, i came across an article abt daddies can actually breastfeed!
as in, they can also produce milk (though not as much as mummies) to BF their babies!
all they need is some stimulation of their nipples n WALAAAA~ like mummies, they will hv BM!
it is said that male breasts have milk ducts, and some mammary tissue.
They also have oxytocin and prolactin, the hormones responsible for milk production. There have been reports of men who were able to produce milk through extensive breast and nipple stimulation, but no one knows whether the milk was of the same composition or quality as the kind women produce. Using a pump, or a feeding tube (a small silicone tube attached to a plastic bottle filled with formula) at his breast, he might be able to get a baby to latch on and suckle, but how long it would take to produce even drops of milk is anyone’s guess.

interesting topic?? :)

feel free to leave your comments. :D

diymummy

LOL!! This is new...

The only "breastfeeding father" thing that I've ever come across is something that looks like a bra, which can store milk and the dads can strap on. So they can feed the baby. It's actually like bottle feeding but simulating the cradle and nipple of mummy. Haha...

But actually the thought of fathers REALLY breastfeeding... Hmmm... It sounds really weird. LOL! I can't imagine them having engorgment and having to put cabbage leaves on their erm... breasts. LOL!!!

Phoebii Cheng

Yeah I read abt this article at the Singapore Womens' Weekly....I thot it is amazing that men can actually BF, they just need to use the pump and over a period of time each time pump 20mins....and they will actually produce milk......

So I jokingly told my hubby, he can start training for our 2nd child....hahaha:tlaugh:

Ting

Yeah I read about this article at the Singapore Womens' Weekly....I thot it is amazing that men can actually BF, they just need to use the pump and over a period of time each time pump 20mins....and they will actually produce milk......

So I jokingly told my hubby, he can start training for our 2nd child....hahaha:tlaugh:
yeah i think i read the same article as u!
hahaha, i was really AMAZED!

Ting

LOL!! This is new...

The only "breastfeeding father" thing that I've ever come across is something that looks like a bra, which can store milk and the dads can strap on. So they can feed the baby. It's actually like bottle feeding but simulating the cradle and nipple of mummy. Haha...

But actually the thought of fathers REALLY breastfeeding... Hmmm... It sounds really weird. LOL! I can't imagine them having engorgment and having to put cabbage leaves on their erm... breasts. LOL!!!
dearie, they wont hv engorgement, not like mummies, cos mummies BM is stimulated due to pregnancy, thus hv abundance supply.
but for daddies, need to pump/latch on for a while b4 they hv a bit of BM.
hahaha, i also think itd weird.. imagine next time it will be BF-ing daddies we see in nursing rooms!:001_302:

stonston

COOL! I must ask my hb to start pumping so can save money on milk!

BTW, because of this, men can also get breast cancer!

angelwendy

haha... i saw this topic in a mag also.. & talk to my hubby & granny... haha granny say i'm crazy... hubby say wat if his nipple got hair?? baby wont like it.. haha..

lol!! shall let hubby know!! he always disturb my boy by giving his breast to him then my boy very angry cos can't find the nipple..
then sometime when i tired i told hubby, "if only you got milk then can take turn to nurse baby" :tlaugh:

diymummy

dearie, they wont have engorgement, not like mummies, cos mummies breast milk is stimulated due to pregnancy, thus have abundance supply.
but for daddies, need to pump/latch on for a while before they have a bit of breast milk.
hahaha, i also think itd weird.. imagine next time it will be BF-ing daddies we see in nursing rooms!:001_302:
LOL!! Nursing room with signs for male and female... Like restrooms...

BWAHAHAHAHA!! Hilarious!