To bath or not to when baby are sick?

Gumi

Hi Mummies

Can I know when your baby is down with fever/flu/cough, do you still bath them or will you wait till they are slightly better? Please share with me your experience. TIA.

apollo

i dunno abt other mummies, but for ds, i still will bath him. with a warmer tub of water. and i will 'choose' the time. not right aft he wakes up but will wait until the weather is slightly 'hotter' and will close the window, door everything to prevent the wind to blow in. quickly bath him, dry him, change him.

and instead of 2x i will bath him once a day only when he is ill, until he got better =)

hui_ru_88

Hi Mummies

Can I know when your baby is down with fever/flu/cough, do you still bath them or will you wait till they are slightly better? Please share with me your experience. TIA.
From what I was told, it is better to bath babies when they are down with fever. But do NOT use cold water. Use warm water will do. Reason for so is it helps in reducing one's temperature.

So, for my daughter, whenever she is down with fever, I will do tepid sponging besides bathing for her every 5 to 6 hours.

Hope this information does helps you :)

kj2008

On the first day will not bath him but second day onwards will bath him with warm water just once a day.

Bathing helps bring temp. down.

Gumi

Thanks mummies for the replies. How about if he is having flu with running nose? do you still bath him or will wait till his running nose is slightly better, meaning not so much of the "Pi-Ti" dripping from his little nostrils?

hui_ru_88

Thanks mummies for the replies. How about if he is having flu with running nose? do you still bath him or will wait till his running nose is slightly better, meaning not so much of the "Pi-Ti" dripping from his little nostrils?
For my case, I will continue to bath my daughter as my main concern is to bring down the fever first.

apollo

ds recently just got flu.. i still bath him.. =)

Justina

Hi Mummies

Hi Gummi,

Is your baby unwell? Hope she/he is better now....

Yes, pls continue to bath your child because Singapore weather is pretty humid and babies wear diapers, so it is best to bath baby even baby is sick.

But like hui ru said, do use right temperature water to give comfort. Slightly cold water may prolong flu.

But what's your concern? Why hesitate to bath in the first place?

apollo

Hi Gummi,

Is your baby unwell? Hope she/he is better now....

Yes, pls continue to bath your child because Singapore weather is pretty humid and babies wear diapers, so it is best to bath baby even baby is sick.

But like hui ru said, do use right temperature water to give comfort. Slightly cold water may prolong flu.

But what's your concern? Why hesitate to bath in the first place?
i think gumi mummy is afriad her baby will catch more serious cold aft bathing.. act i had the same tot as her b4 but my mum insisted me to bath ds, lik what u said, she also said SG is a v hot country, MUST bath everyday. as long as we set the right temp, and dry him up immediately aft bathing, shd be okay =)

Gumi

You are right apollo mummy, i'm scared on his way to recovery he catches another cold. But after reading all mummies' replies I think I should bath him.
Thanks all mummies for the enlightenment :tlaugh:

camom

I will bathe him, make sure water is warm and bathe him quickly with windows closed to reduce draft.

PinkDiamonds

I think it's good to give your baby a warm bath when he/she is sick, as long as no direct wind is blown to aggravate the situation. In fact, giving them a warm bath before nap time/bedtime may actually help them to feel better. :)

If you're no comfortable with bathing, you can sponge your baby also.

diymummy

When my son is sick, runny nose/blocked nose, cough, fever, diarrhea.. I will give him a bath still. Just gotta be quick and make sure water is warm and area where baby is bathing is free from draft. It'll get a bit stuffy so you gotta be quick.

jasobias

ya i will still bath baby twice a day even if she is sick.Just make the water warmer if she has no fever.

I will bathe my boys once instead of their usual 2x a day, if they are not well.....

I will bathe them in the morning and late afternoon, just wash their bum bum area... and wipe their body with warm towel.

Ting

yes i will still bathe pin whether she is having a fever or not..
morning n late afternoon (near evening) then night time use warm water n clean her with a baby washcloth.

just make sure all windows r closed..
usually i will bring the whole bathtub into the bedroom n bathe her there n can immediately change her, so wont be windy.

capricon

Hi Gumi,

I dont't bathe my kids when they are running a fever, cos it makes the temperature go higher as they can get a chill. I think I am the odd one here, as most mummies bathe their kids. I'll just wipe them with warm towel several times a day, their fever will subside by the third day, and I'll bathe them on the fourth day just to make sure they dont't get a chill and have fever again.

However, I'll bathe them when they have flu but no fever.