Steam Moist Chocolate Cake (Taste like Lana Chocolate Cake)

priscilla

Method for making cake:
Combine sugar, evaporated milk,vanilla extract and oil in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved,off fire and keep warm.
Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.
Sift the flour,cocoa powder,baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (cake batter should be runny).
Heat up the steamer.
Lined and greased a 9 inch baking pan or 2 9′inch sandwich pan.
Pour the batter into prepared pan and place the pans into the steamer and cover the top of the pan losely with a piece of aluminuim foil.
Steam over medium heat for 1 1/2 hour (45 mins for 1/2 recipe/ingredients).
Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.

Method for chocolate coating:
Combine the sifted cocoa powder,condence milk and oil.
Stir over low heat till thicken (stirring all the time).
Add in salt and vanilla extract or essence.
Cold the chocolate topping a little before spreading on the cold cake.

Attachments

Last edited:

yoan

375g canola oil. (can i use corn oil?)

1. 1 1/2 cups raw golden sugar ( how many gram sugar)
  2. 2 cups plain flour ***( also same how many gram?
  3. 1 cup Dutch cocoa powder same question also.

Last edited:

priscilla

Yes, you can use corn oil.

I do not have a weighting scale with me, so I just used the measuring cup for dry stuff, like sugar, flour, etc.

Think you can search around for a conversion table online.

maya2715

Hey, I just printed this recipe from another forum. Intend to try it this weekend if got free time lah.

What is this Lana cake about? Never tried it. Is it sold here?

I like Yochana's blog, got lots of goodies. Mentally told myself that I have try most of them out soon.

:Dancing_wub:

priscilla

I got it from Aunt Yochana, it is very good. The recipe was modified to suit my family's not so sweet tooth.

Is the 375g canola oil cooking oil or butter spread? I m confused over tis as the method for making cake states
- .... Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted,off fire and keep warm.

Is tis butter referring to 375g canola oil?

Sorry wat is the diff b/w baking powder n baking soda?

Can I replace Dutch coco powder wif Milo?

XiaoXue

yoan this's similiar like the recipes i did for my cupcake. and i used 375gm of corn oil too.. =)

priscilla

Is the 375g canola oil cooking oil or butter spread? I m confused over tis as the method for making cake states
- .... Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted,off fire and keep warm.

Is tis butter referring to 375g canola oil?

Sorry wat is the diff b/w baking powder n baking soda?

Can I replace Dutch coco powder wif Milo?
Sorry for the confusion, I replace all the butter by canola oil.

Dutch coco powder should not be replace with Milo.

Baking powder and baking soda are different, read about it here : What's the Difference Between Baking Soda and Baking Powder?

The above recipe ingredients were tailored to meet my family's needs as we do not want too much fat and canola oil was used as it is not as fattening as butter.

Last edited:
Priscilla
If replace wif butter, do u use salted or unsalted butter?
Wt for using butter is oso 375g?

Thx for the correction in the method u posted

Where do u get Dutch Coco powder? I lazy, thot juz get milo fm supermkt to replace Dutch Coco powder since milo is made fm coco :mtongue:

XiaoXue
Do U steam cup cake n do the choc coating using the same recipe n the same method?

priscilla

Priscilla
If replace wif butter, do u use salted or unsalted butter?
Wt for using butter is oso 375g?

Thx for the correction in the method u posted

Where do u get Dutch Coco powder? I lazy, thot juz get milo fm supermkt to replace Dutch Coco powder since milo is made fm coco :mtongue:

XiaoXue
Do U steam cup cake n do the choc coating using the same recipe n the same method?
I did not keep the old recipe. I used totally oil since it is less fattening. Well, You should be able to get Dutch Coco Powder from any supermarket baking section.

Hi Priscilla
I asked my hubby to get cocoa powder 4 me fm supermkt. He can't find n bot Hershey's goodnight kisses milk chocolate. :Dancing_tongue: My son loves to eat the choc coating

When turning over the cake, the bottom part sticks to the pan tho I greased the pan. Any advice?

Oso the choc coating I made is in v gluey form (totally cold) not the solid form shown in your pic. So the coating on the cake turned out like vocanno lava :embarrassed: Any advice?

lfoo9668

Hi Pris,

Also saw ur blog on receipe from net for Apple Strudel and Cinnamon roll. They really looked so yummy! Now pestering my hubby to get a oven this wekend so i can try out the delights.

Ralia

Lana chocolate cake is damm nice... its normally catered onli for rich tai tai, coz e place tat they r located is at dis bukit timah area, ate a few tyms b4, which my daddy made reservation... They normally gives their regular client extra chocolate dosage, which reali brings my both thumbs up/... hehee... *drooling*

priscilla

Lana chocolate cake is damm nice... its normally catered onli for rich tai tai, coz e place tat they r located is at dis bukit timah area, ate a few tyms b4, which my daddy made reservation... They normally gives their regular client extra chocolate dosage, which reali brings my both thumbs up/... hehee... *drooling*
That's our favourite cake outlet, dh will go and buy if he is not too busy at work. He usually order and pick it up after his work on Saturday.

anji

i couldn't find Dutch cocoa powder anywhere i only use Hershey coco powder any talk me in which supermarket you bought the dutch coco pd thank u

CanCanMum

Sorry ah, can i check if i can use a wok filled with water and Steam this cake? Like steaming fish? Instead of using a Steamer??? This sounds good coz i dun own an oven.....

kuan

Hi all , I've found this recipe long, long ago and have been wanting to try it out. Finally, i tried it out yesterday. It was NICE! I feel proud of myself that it turn out so yummy on my 1st attempt. I used butter instead of canola oil because i feel cake should have a buttery taste. Will improvise on this recipe on my next try.