QUALITY time and CONNECTION time with our kids

CanCanMum

Quality Time With Children

by Ellen C. Braun

A trip to the playground or a museum to be quality time with their children. An afternoon spent together at a park is quality time; however children need more than just quality time with their parents; they need connection time.

We are well aware as to when our children feel connected to us and when they feel disconnected, even if this specific terminology may be new to us.

When our children are feeling disconnected from us, they answer in monosyllables, avoid physical touch, and hesitate to make eye contact. On the other hand, when kids do feel connected to their caregivers, they are talkative, physically affectionate, and spontaneously happy.

As adults, we are capable of letting go of our connection to close friends for many months – even years, and then picking up right where we left off. Children, whose prefrontal cortex is still in development, do not possess this ability.

If my son has not seen his grandmother a year, he will not be able to pick up the relationship where it left off last winter, no matter how much he knows intellectually that Grandma loves him.

Kids require ongoing nourishment to maintain their relationships
, as their minds and relationship skills are growing and devloping along with their bodies.

Our children, for the most part, are unaware of the myriad of things that we do FOR them. However, they are fully aware of the things which we do WITH them.

Bringing children to a park, a movie, or museum can be a great activity, yet the value of the quality time for children is in the level of connection that exists within those excursions.

When parents sit on the bench and view their children’s gravity-defying antics on the monkey-bars, that is one level of quality time with children.
However, a game of tag with children chasing their parents is light-years ahead of just watching children play in terms of the connection that is created by engaging in an activity simultaneously.

It has been said that each child requires a minimum of fifteen minutes of connection time with his caregiver in order to develop optimally. Some days, our connection time may be limited to less minutes due to circumstances beyond our control. Even two minutes of connecting, time spent with loving eye contact, physical affection, building, cooking, or playing together will fill up our children’s emotional bank accounts.

Let us commit to spending a minimum of ten minutes of quality time with our children truly connecting with their hearts and minds. Are you ready for this commitment? : )

Last edited:

Ting

thanks for sharing CCM~~

woo hoo~ me n pin got connection... hehe, cos she always yabber non stop to me, n always give me hugs n kisses everyday at anytime! n she is definately a happpppy child.~

:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

CanCanMum

thanks for sharing CCM~~

woo hoo~ me n pin got connection... hehe, cos she always yabber non stop to me, n always give me hugs n kisses everyday at anytime! n she is definately a happpppy child.~

:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:
lOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

EnFlor

I dunno but i find that there is a difference between how a boy or gal expresses the 'connection' to their parents. Like my gal, she readily hugs me, more affectionate and is aware of how i feel just by my facial expression and tone of voice. No need to ask or request one.

But the boys huh....aiyoh, dunno maybe they shy or what lahh. Like robot ahh, tell them to hug, they hug, tell them to kiss, they paiseh first...then they kiss. Not that i discouraged them to show their affection to their loved ones esp family members but they just paiseh one. Why huh ? Think they think it's uncool for boys to do that izzit ??? But i neva teach them to be liddat. :err:

CanCanMum

my boy will kiss me whenever he saw tat my face change colour liaOOooo den i will turn soft hearted haha~~~~

when i kiss him he wipes off my saliva BTH~~~:wong19:

but he only kiss mi lehhh he dunn anyhow kiss other pple

wahahhahahah~~~~GOOD wad so they only have 1 girl in their heart :shyxxx:

EnFlor

my boy will kiss me whenever he saw that my face change colour liaOOooo then i will turn soft hearted haha~~~~

when i kiss him he wipes off my saliva BTH~~~:wong19:

but he only kiss mi lehhh he dunn anyhow kiss other pple

wahahhahahah~~~~GOOD what so they only have 1 girl in their heart :shyxxx:

:tlaugh: so u mean the GAL in Baber's heart is U lahh. Liddat I also want from my boys. The future wives no chance. Alamak horrible right, mother in law like us.

CanCanMum

:tlaugh: so you mean the GAL in Baber's heart is you lahh. Liddat I also want from my boys. The future wives no chance. Alamak horrible right, mother in law like us.
when the time is RIPE, den we let GO lOrrr

wahahhahahhaha *machiam expurt liddat*