introducing milk bottle and ebm to baby

for those mommies who fully latch on baby before going back to work, how do you introduce bottle and ebm to your baby??
which brand of bottle are you using??

i've been trying hard to introduce my boy with ebm but no sucess, he ONLY wants to latch on.

actually until 6weeks old my boy took 1 feed of fm at midnight.. but he got constipated so i fully breastfeed him ever since. but i'm kinda sleep deprived so i tried pumping my milk and feed him using bottle but he rejected it. my hubby who used to gave the bottle of fm tried too and still fail.

please share your advise.
thanks

camom

I failed in this aspect. BB didn't take to bottle totally. I was told by experienced friends that the window period to intro bottle is actually ard 6 wks old. If you missed this, chances are you will find it difficult to intro the bottle later.

I tried every brand on the market, from the no brand ones to the branded ones like Dr Brown, etc. No use as far as my son is concerned. In the end, he was fed with syringe and spoon till he reached 5 mths old.

I failed in this aspect. baby didn't take to bottle totally. I was told by experienced friends that the window period to intro bottle is actually around 6 wks old. If you missed this, chances are you will find it difficult to intro the bottle later.

I tried every brand on the market, from the no brand ones to the branded ones like Dr Brown, etc. No use as far as my son is concerned. In the end, he was fed with syringe and spoon till he reached 5 mths old.
thanks.. some other mummies told me the same thing.. well i just wonder if there's any mummies here successfully used the bottle when baby is 3months and above..

Mummy to Baby V

Yes, our home-visit nurse told us the window period is 6-8 weeks old and the bottle has to be offered once every 1-2 days, depending on how much your baby loves it.
Loves it: once every 2 days
Does not like it: once every day

I was complacent and stopped offering when my boy was 3-4 months old (thought he loved it), then he rejected it. We tried open cup-feeding, which is easy to feed and he accepted it well. It seems instinctive that babies can drink from open cup.

The advantage of cup-feeding is that babies may start cup-training from 6 months old, so we did not have to wean him off the bottle. Cups are much more hygienic than bottle teats. With cup feeding, it is also a breeze to feed my boy liquid (water or soup) from any cup or bowl. Saves money on buying bottles and teats. :)

Many breastfeeding mums have been through this and cup /spoon /syringe feeding are great alternatives.

Feel free to view the cups we used and reviews at cups |

biscuit

Hi found this post which posted sometimes back. I face the same
problem. My 3 month + is rejecting bottle. I will be back to work in two
weeks times.

Did u able to get baby to drink from bottle after the reject?if not appreite mummies to share how you feed your baby ebm other than bottle.
Understand can use spoon or syringe or cup. But have not try those. Are baby able to finish all ebm with those mehods? Eg 100ml? Will it take long time to feed this way?

Thanks in advance

Amulet

had given 1 night of bottle wen she was ard 4 days old.. developed nipple confusion after that.. i got scare n stop any bottle until 10weeks old..

i intro bottle to my girl wen she is ard 10weeks old.. used NUK latx coz it's the softest i can find.. give it to her 1 times a day.. the 1st week wen i was away at work, she had rejected the milk bottle.. but after that, she prefer the milk bottle than breast and that's the beginning of my nightmare.. coz she developed nipple preference and refuse to latch on..

biscuit

Sounds like bb doesnot take bottle is not a bad thing tho...
Any mum use syringe or cup feed their bb other than bottle?

Sounds like bb doesnot take bottle is not a bad thing tho...
Any mum use syringe or cup feed their bb other than bottle?
cup is quite fast. fed my then 6-7 days old boy( now 17 days old) using cup, he will start sticking out his tongue and start licking. From the opinions of mummies, here i thk im quite scared to start on bottle. Tho i din't have much problem with my first boy when i went bk to work, he took well to both bottle and latching. But i thk good to give the medela disposable cup a try.

Mummy to Baby V

Hi found this post which posted sometimes back. I face the same
problem. My 3 month + is rejecting bottle. I will be back to work in two
weeks times.

Did u able to get baby to drink from bottle after the reject?if not appreite mummies to share how you feed your baby ebm other than bottle.
Understand can use spoon or syringe or cup. But have not try those. Are baby able to finish all ebm with those mehods? Eg 100ml? Will it take long time to feed this way?

Thanks in advance
At about 4 months old, my boy rejected the bottle teat, sippy spout and pacifier. He was happy with cup-feeding. Can be done quite fast once caregiver and baby get the hang of it. Just got to be careful of spillage if baby is very active.

When baby is older (around 12 months old), can introduce him to straw too.

for those mommies who fully latch on baby before going back to work, how do you introduce bottle and ebm to your baby??
which brand of bottle are you using??

i've been trying hard to introduce my boy with ebm but no sucess, he ONLY wants to latch on.

actually until 6weeks old my boy took 1 feed of fm at midnight.. but he got constipated so i fully breastfeed him ever since. but i'm kinda sleep deprived so i tried pumping my milk and feed him using bottle but he rejected it. my hubby who used to gave the bottle of fm tried too and still fail.

please share your advise.
thanks
My boy just turned 1 mth, I started with bottle for the 2nd time. Am using NUK bottle, their teats are believed to be akin to mummies' nipple which means lower chance of nipple confusion. So far, im using the bottle to feed EBM once a day and latching him for his other feeds. At first, he appeared abit annoyed with the bottle, fuss alittle and nibbled on the nipple of the teat for a few minutes, what i did was to use the teat to tease his lower lip like how u would use ur nipple to get him to open his mouth before u put in the rest of the teat, and before i know it, he starts suckling. U may wana try this brand of teat?

Last edited:

dinida

hi mummies, im having the same problem now! my boy (3months plus) is refusing bottle :( ...im gng back werk next week...im so stressed. i hvnt tried NUK latx teats yet...mebbe will go get tomorrow and try..