How do you feel? 12year old girl killed by Maid

• Maid should be canned and jailed

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Justice has been given to the special needs child and family

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOM should do more to train FDWs and prevent issues of child abused or murdered

• 20 years in Spore - free lodging and meals

• That FDW is so poor thing!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Angelmum

TODAYonline | Singapore | Special attention for Sped schools

1) S$300 monthly subsidy for their children enrolled in EIPIC. The programme provides social, educational and therapy services for kids up to six years of age.
2) New CPF scheme, called the Special Needs Savings Scheme (SNSS) to encourage parents to save for the long-term care needs of their disabled children.
Two initiatives to give more support to people with disabilities - inSing.com

More S'poreans to get Govt help ....
Those staying in a VWO-run home for the disabled. While subsidies under the current framework are staggered at 25, 50 and 75 per cent depending on household income, they will soon come in more gradations - ranging from 10 to 75 per cent for citizens, and 10 to 65 per cent for PRs.

And, while subsidies are now available only to those with up to $1,300 per capita household income, that cap will soon be raised to $1,400 for Singapore citizens.

Angelmum's comments: $1400 can do what? Ideally,raised till $3000/household.

sushigal

Just curious, what do parents here think would be a reasonable cap amount?
At least $2k ba...

Parents who have a special child will not only look to 1 kind of treatment. And most of their earnings will be diverted to other treatments, equipments etc and these are not cheap lor...

Parents who have a special child will not only look to 1 kind of treatment. And most of their earnings will be diverted to other treatments, equipments etc and these are not cheap ...
Agreed, but depending on the disability, expenses are also varied. I was just wondering, instead of a blanket cap of $x, we could have means testing based on the disability and needs of the child...

Angelmum

I was just wondering, instead of a blanket cap of $x, we could have means testing based on the disability and needs of the child...

Social worker or the govt won't want to spend extra manpower to do such calculations cos too tedious and time consuming ... case follow-up required!

Actually, it would be better for govt to subsidize (pay 50%) ie help special needs parents with household income below $3.5 and don't own landed property.... at least let us have the most basic/usual such as equipment (wheelchair, strollers, etc ... definitely not equipment that cost thousands), diapers, milk powder or supplements, corrective support (eg IFO, body/trunk support), minimal charges for therapies (think KKH charges $25-35 based on C class subsidy which is still alright but they could only provide therapy 1 or twice/mth which is insufficient. Thus need to turn to private therapies which cost $100-150/hr in order to see result).

..... above plain daydream, won't happen in Spore! :embarrassed: .... I don't think I'll live to see these 'wonderful days' :001_302:

sushigal

Social worker or the govt won't want to spend extra manpower to do such calculations cos too tedious and time consuming ... case follow-up required!

Actually, it would be better for govt to subsidize (pay 50%) ie help special needs parents with household income below $3.5 and dont't own landed property.... at least let us have the most basic/usual such as equipment (wheelchair, strollers, etc ... definitely not equipment that cost thousands), diapers, milk powder or supplements, corrective support (eg IFO, body/trunk support), minimal charges for therapies (think Kandang Kerbau Hospital charges $25-35 based on C class subsidy which is still alright but they could only provide therapy 1 or twice/month which is insufficient. Thus need to turn to private therapies which cost $100-150/hr in order to see result).

..... above plain daydream, won't happen in Spore! :embarrassed: .... I dont't think I'll live to see these 'wonderful days' :001_302:
I also agree that govt wont spend on manpower to do the calculations lor.

Angelmum, your suggestions are all too good to be true. But all equipments are very ex which can amt to thousands. And in my view, they shld be heavily subsidy too as these are the things that families cannot afford for their child. Normally to buy one of this equipment, it will wipe out their whole saving. But of coz, the purchase of the equipment/s shld be highly recommended by the therapists, in case pple abuse and just buy whatever they want.

Angelmum

But all equipments are very ex which can amt to thousands. And in my view, they shld be heavily subsidy too as these are the things that families cannot afford for their child. Normally to buy one of this equipment, it will wipe out their whole saving. But of coz, the purchase of the equipment/s shld be highly recommended by the therapists, in case pple abuse and just buy whatever they want.

If one fine day... a few people of high authority/influential in Spore have children like ours, maybe they'll realised we're not faking (exaggerating). Having special needs children is really not cheap in Sg and we couldn't manage without govt help ..... wonder when dream will come true. Don't blame me for 'cursing'. Some people up there had to go thru (experience our journeys) in order to understand our situation.... telling them is of no use!

I guess having therapist to recommend is one way. Another way is to have a so call yearly budget. Means if parents requested something expensive (thousands), they have the option to spread the cost out monthly or 'claim' in one shot. Example, each mth set a side a budget (subsized or co-pay amt). Once amt hit, got to wait for next yr ..... I'm still daydreaming ... :weno::we3goofy:! ....yaya, I know!!

This kind of 'throw $$' stuff so unlikely to happen in Sg. REALLY, till I die still won't see such miracles ... unless somebody on top kenna. I wrote in to request for childcare leave to be extended to parents with special needs child (7 till age 18 yrs old) was turned down. We had to take our children for regular hospital reviews or therapies so having 7 or 14 days annual is insufficient. Current 6 days childcare leave only meant for child below 7 yrs old.... means I'm not entitled!

..... above plain daydream, won't happen in Spore! :embarrassed: .... I dont't think I'll live to see these 'wonderful days' :001_302:

Anyone knows the kind of support/govt subsidies that are given to citizens with special needs kids in other countries? It'll be interesting to compare...

A friend of mine just spent nearly $8K on equipment for her son who has low vision. No subsidy! The family is feeling the pinch but what to do?

sushigal

If one fine day... a few people of high authority/influential in Spore have children like ours, maybe they'll realised we're not faking (exaggerating). Having special needs children is really not cheap in Sg and we couldn't manage without govt help ..... wonder when dream will come true. dont't blame me for 'cursing'. Some people up there had to go thru (experience our journeys) in order to understand our situation.... telling them is of no use!

I guess having therapist to recommend is one way. Another way is to have a so call yearly budget. Means if parents requested something expensive (thousands), they have the option to spread the cost out monthly or 'claim' in one shot. Example, each month set a side a budget (subsized or co-pay amt). Once amt hit, got to wait for next yr ..... I'm still daydreaming ... :weno::we3goofy:! ....yaya, I know!!

This kind of 'throw $$' stuff so unlikely to happen in Sg. REALLY, till I die still won't see such miracles ... unless somebody on top kenna. I wrote in to request for childcare leave to be extended to parents with special needs child (7 till age 18 yrs old) was turned down. We had to take our children for regular hospital reviews or therapies so having 7 or 14 days annual is insufficient. Current 6 days childcare leave only meant for child below 7 yrs old.... means I'm not entitled!

Yes one will never understand unless he/she is in our shoes... but those in the higher authority/influential wont need govt $$ lei... they themselves can fully afford everything themselves lor... unless u say at that pt, they can still think of us, the lower/average families coping with their special needs children...

Oh dear Angelmum, so now u are using ur annual leave? What is the reason that they reject ur suggestion? Actually how many parents of special kid can still be working? I m currently working now, but since ds have to go sch twice a day, i had early early alr used up my childcare leave le... Now annual leave is halfway there liao... so still thinking shld i stop working and look after ds full time. But then again, no work, where to have the $$ for ds's forever expensive treatments/therapies/equipments??

sushigal

Anyone knows the kind of support/govt subsidies that are given to citizens with special needs kids in other countries? It'll be interesting to compare...

A friend of mine just spent nearly $8K on equipment for her son who has low vision. No subsidy! The family is feeling the pinch but what to do?
I was toking to a private PT last wk. And heard that special needs children in Canada is having 2-3 times a wk of free therapies. Maybe can start a new thread to compare the treatments given by other countries on their own special needs pple??

I understand the pinch, but what can the parents do? No subsidy, too ex, also will buy for children.

Angelmum

Oh dear Angelmum, so now you are using your annual leave? What is the reason that they reject your suggestion? Actually how many parents of special kid can still be working? I m currently working now, but since dear son have to go sch twice a day, i had early early already used up my childcare leave ... Now annual leave is halfway there ... so still thinking shld i stop working and look after dear son full time. But then again, no work, where to have the $$ for dear son's forever expensive treatments/therapies/equipments??

No other choice left besides using my miserable Annual Leave then Unpaid Leave. I was a stay-home-mum for 5years. Living in Sg with a special needs child is so difficult! How many could manage a hse with household income $1500 in order to qualify for pathetic financial subsidy?

I started work end 2009 becos we really cant cope with Sg living std and a govt that is simply not helpful enough (prefer not to understand us and remain stingy to special needs parents). It took us great courage ... to gamble ie hire a maid to minimise our financial drainage and save some $$ for rainy seasons. Maid is not mummy so u really need to close one eye. Still, U worry what's going to happen to our darling at home since there's no other adult supervsion - parents go to work. Forced to work in Sg! I want to stay home, hubby wanted to slog harder by taking up 2 jobs but it's a real damage to health so after 'fighting & thinking' for 2yrs, we finally decided to place our bet - get a maid.

Angelmum

Re: Govt News related to Special Needs

Special Needs Savings Scheme to be implemented by early 2012 - Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Parliament has passed changes to the CPF Act that will enable parents to look after the financial needs of their special needs children.

This is made possible through the Special Needs Savings Scheme.

The scheme will be implemented by early 2012, six years after a parents workgroup, led by MP Denise Phua, proposed the idea.

The scheme allows parents to arrange for a stream of income for their special needs children using CPF savings, without having to set up a trust.

There is no minimum balance needed and no administrative charge. The savings will also continue to enjoy CPF interest rates of up to four per cent, even after the parents' demise.

Among the legislative changes that will make the scheme possible - parents can choose to have their child receive a stream of income instead of a lump sum payment upon their death. Currently, CPF nominees receive payouts as a lump sum cash payment or as transfer to their accounts.

Parents also decide on the quantum of monthly payout. Should the parent's savings upon their death be insufficient to provide a monthly payout for 12 months, the entire balance would be paid out as a lump sum.

Upon a parent's death, the nominee will have a CPF account - Ordinary, Special, Medisave and Retirement Accounts - created and funds transferred from the parent's account.

The scheme is open to children who have attended a Special Education School or need help in at last one activity of daily living, such as dressing, feeding or going to the toilet.

MPs lauded the scheme as an important step towards an inclusive society. But Ms Phua also argued for an expanded eligibility criteria. She said the scheme should cover, for example, special needs children who attend mainstream schools and those who may not have physical disabilities but still need help with financial management.

She said: "Through the charities that I help run, I personally know of many students with special needs studying in such esteemed schools like NUS Maths and Science Schools. These are individuals who may be very strong academically but who may not be financially independent or financially proficient when they become adults. In addition, some people I know who have for instance, Down Syndrome or cerebral palsy who have never attended a special school all their lives; they should not be excluded from the scheme.

"The second criterion describes primarily disabilities that are related to the physical. Many of us know of people with special needs who are able to wash, clean, move around and feed themselves; some can even hold down specific types of jobs but they are individuals who would need guidance in money management, employment and making higher order life decisions such as where to live, who to contact when one is having health issues and even who to trust."

Ms Phua added: "I therefore seek MOM's explicit clarification that intended beneficiaries of the SNSS will go beyond those attending or attended special schools or those who require help in one of the assisted living skills which are primarily physical.

"I propose that as long as there is a professional assessment that the individuals would benefit from such a service, that they be included. This will take a whole psychological load off the families and disability organisations who find the amendments restrictive."

The Minister of State for Manpower, Mr Tan Chuan-Jin, explained that the scheme primarily targets persons with disabilities who cannot support themselves. He said there will be flexibility, with the Community Development, Youth and Sports Ministry looking at deserving applicants on a case-by-case basis, and that the scheme will be constantly reviewed.

The ministry will give details on how parents can apply for the scheme soon.

Last edited:

Angelmum

New CPF savings scheme for parents with special needs children
Same as above but sightly different info

AsiaOne, Monday, Nov 21, 2011
SINGAPORE - A new Special Needs Savings Scheme (SNSS) to be implemented in early 2012 will allow parents to nominate their children to receive monthly payouts from their CPF accounts after they have passed on.

Under SNSS, parents can arrange for a monthly stream of income - of whose quantum they can decide starting from a minimum amount of $250 - to their special needs children after their death.

SNSS, which requires no administrative charge and no minimum balance during sign up, is useful for parents who do not have substantial savings outside of their CPFs.
CPF interest rates will continue to be paid on the funds nominated to SNSS nominees, and the extra 1 per cent interest will be paid on the first $60,000 of the combined balance of the nominated monies and the child's own savings.

To start the scheme, a participating parent's CPF savings upon his death must be sufficient to support a year's worth of payouts - in other words, a balance of $3,000 for a monthly payout of $250. Otherwise, the deceased parent's CPF savings will be disbursed as a lump sum.

To be eligible for the scheme, the parent, and child with disabilities have to be Singaporeans or Permanent Residents. The child has to be attending or has attended a Special Education (SPED) school, or who requires assistance in at least one Activity of Daily Living (ADL) - which includes dressing, feeding, going to the toilet, and moving about.

SNSS will complement the existing Special Needs Trust Company (SNTC), which is a trust arrangement and care plan set up by parents. SNTC requires a minimum of $5,000 cash upon start-up.

Parents can top up the trust account any time with cash or nominate the trust they set up under SNTC as a beneficiary of their insurance policies or CPF savings.

Last edited:

Angelmum

TODAYonline | Hot News | A more flexible CPF

New savings scheme for special needs children among other changes
by Lin Yanqin, 04:45 AM Nov 22, 2011

SINGAPORE - A raft of changes to the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Act was passed in Parliament yesterday which seek to encourage voluntary top-ups to CPF accounts and allow for greater flexibility to reverse inter-account transfers where deserving.

Under the changes, a new Special Needs Savings Scheme (SNSS) - which will allow parents to better provide for their special needs children after they die - will also be created by next year.

Minister of State (Manpower) Tan Chuan-Jin said yesterday the changes "represent yet another step forward in ensuring that our CPF system remains relevant and effective for our people".

During the debate on the Bill yesterday, the SNSS drew the most comments and suggestions from Members of Parliament.

The scheme will allow parents to nominate their special needs child to receive their CPF monies as a stream of income, rather than just a lump sum payment upon their deaths, without having to set up a trust.

There will be no minimum balance to sign up and no administrative charge. Also, the savings can continue to enjoy CPF interest rates even after the parent's death. Said Mr Tan: "(The scheme) will be particularly useful for parents who do not have substantial savings outside of the CPF, and for whom avoiding administrative costs is an important consideration."

The SNSS originated from a parents workgroup led by MP Denise Phua in 2006.

Ms Phua, however, took issue with the eligibility criteria of the scheme yesterday. Under the scheme, the nominee must have attended or is attending a special education (SPED) school, or require assistance in at least one activity of daily living (ADL), such as dressing and feeding.

Ms Phua said the "restrictive" criteria should be expanded, as many special needs children do not attend SPED schools.

There are also those who are able to perform the ADLs and are able academically, but require help with money management and long-term planning such as housing, Ms Phua noted.

Jurong GRC MP Ang Wei Neng pointed out that while about 2,500 children are diagnosed with special needs each year, only 300 enter SPED schools.

Mr Tan stressed the need to be "mindful" of whom the scheme was designed for: Persons with disabilities who cannot support themselves.

There will also be an appeals channel to allow a more flexible application of the scheme for those who not meet the criteria, he added.

Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC MP Zainudin Nordin asked if better interest rates could be extended for the nominees, while Sembawang GRC MP Ellen Lee queried as to how nominees can "grow" their money to meet their high monthly costs.

Non-Constituency MP Lina Chiam felt that the SNSS would not benefit those whose parents did not have much CPF savings, while fellow Opposition MP Yaw Shin Leong also expressed concerns that the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports and the CPF Board would have too much discretionary power over the approval of nominees.

Mr Tan reiterated that the SNSS allowed the transferred funds to continue to earn CPF interest rates, and other family members can make use of top-up schemes to ensure sufficient funds for the nominee's needs.

He also assured Mr Yaw that parents determine the amount of monthly payout for the nominees at the point of application.

When Ms Phua pressed for a review of the scheme in 18 months' time, Mr Tan replied: "Let us allow the scheme to unfold first."

Comments extracted from Today
1) "I believe the initial intend of many of the schemes is well meaning. But somehow on the way, it is either poorly executed or lost its way and become funding for govt investment and spending. Catering for the disable children with more flexibility in CPF is good idea. But if the parents are well off - they do not need this scheme. If the parents are struggling to make ends met, where are they to find money to top up their children account ? This is eating into their retirement fund. So when they are alive - whole family struggle daily. When they are dead, the child live on merge saving dish out each month by CPF. Is this real help from the govt?"

2) "Talk so much in parliament. At the end of the day it's still your hard-earned money in CPF right? Not as if govt will be giving disability benefits for your disabled kid. Spend tens of millions to subsidise foreigners can. But cannot even spend a bit on disabled citizens."

Last edited:

Angelmum

:err: Is this good news to special needs parents.... those not well off?
If the interest rate is tripled, I would think govt has a heart for us ..... trying to help those low to middle income group. Or similiar to baby bonus, co-saving with max govt top up. Otherwise, how can we die in peace and don't need to worry about our special needs child? No money no talk .... nobody will volunteer to care for special needs people who would help to eat their family finance. Dont blame them (siblings, relatives and friends) as it is not easy to survive in Sg with an extra special mouth.... things they use and need are costly. Use the monthly payout to pay daycare centre would be better.

Any policy maker living with or have a special needs child ... not well off, still staying in HDB? :nah: Doubt any..... so Too rich to think and share same thoughts as me. :embarrassed:

Angelmum

I have just submitted my 'hopes' for Budget 2012
Maybe you can submit your 'hopes' too .... E-Poll | Your Say | REACH, click Budget 2012 Feedback Form or http://www.singaporebudget.gov.sg/budget_2012/feedback.html
Submit your feedback here.
IF there're more 'hopes', maybe govt will pay attention to us.

I hope for:
- extended childcare leave for special needs children from birth till 18 years old
- build special needs daycare centre
- more $$ top up into our special needs children's edusave account
- more $$ in our special needs children's edusave account so that we can use for external therapies (special school not providing therapies)
- Maid levy to be tweek for working parents like us (no childcare or daycare centre) - setup a special fund to park bonus (channel our levies from MOM's pocket to FDWs) for maid who has worked for us for 2 full years. Discourage job hopping and erant maids on our land

Last edited:

noan

Thanks for sharing...

Me too hope the gov will help us with our special needs child.One person work not enuf.my special boy falls sick easily.And school fee in special sch also quite ex.