Which piano to buy???

mumsietay

Mummies, any recommendations on which model of piano is good/suitable for learner up to advanced? Preferably yamaha brand... :)

camom

If you want Yamaha & is willing to pay, try U3 - the made in Japan model. A brand new piano is approx. $10k. The other model you can consider is U1 - made in Jap model, slightly cheaper at $8k+. These are the exam models used for the ABRSM exams.

However, pls note that these 2 models are good up to Grade 8 only. If you want an even better piano, then better to get a good European brand.

Last edited:

mumsietay

If you want Yamaha & is willing to pay, try U3 - the made in Japan model. A brand new piano is approx. $10k. The other model you can consider is U1 - made in Jap model, slightly cheaper at $8k+. These are the exam models used for the ABRSM exams.

However, pls note that these 2 models are good up to Grade 8 only. If you want an even better piano, then better to get a good European brand.
wah...tink way out of budget....am looking at $3k - $4k.. :p Actually if can use up to Grade 5 should quite safe liao....also dunno whether my gal can actually go so far or not.... :p

Is there any other cheaper brands but good for ABRSM exams??

camom

wah...tink way out of budget....am looking at $3k - $4k.. :p Actually if can use up to Grade 5 should quite safe ....also dont know whether my gal can actually go so far or not.... :p

Is there any other cheaper brands but good for ABRSM exams??
Those prices I quoted are brand new. If you still want Yamaha at $3-$4k range, check out 2nd hand dealers. If you are interested, check out Shelley's Piano & Service. I heard good reviews abt him from forums. :)

Last edited:

camom

Is your child an existing Yamaha student? If yes, wait for their sale. Usually the prices are discounted, but still don't have $3-4k range. I think they have the China made or Indon made version of U1 as well. That one is cheaper.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Wahh... piano so EX ahh.... can use keyboard anot?
The grading exams applies to piano only ahhh?

Sorry I NOOB... cos' my dd just playing on the keyboard only :)

camom

Daddy D, heehee, now everything oso expensive. If wanna use keyboard, maybe still can in the 1st grade, probably not more than Grade 1 cos the feel of the keys is very very different. Piano keys also heavier than keyboard. But don't expect to do very well in the practical aspect.

Like my daughter, when we 1st switched to piano, she was banging the keys too much cos keyboard can't really tell. Gotta correct n correct her.

The exam consist of 2 parts - theory n practical. The practical portion is played in front of the examiner in a room and dunno if it's mostly held at Yamaha cos always see U1.

2nd hand piano cheaper, but you must test it out and check it out thoroughly. Better to get someone who knows his/her stuff to help out. But Yamaha piano is like that, resale value gd for 2nd hand.

Last edited:

Fiona73

Just order U1, my gal teacher told me can use till dip ley. Anyway Yahama sales is coming on 17 - 18 April @ suntec. You can do pre-ordering for the model you need. The following are the models that the teacher recommend:

JU109 PE @ $3290 - Gd6
JX113T PE @ $4800 - Gd 8
U1J PE @ $5800 - Dip (Indonesia made)
U1 PE @ $8500 - Dip

Hope the above help.

Fiona73

Wahh... piano so EX ahh.... can use keyboard anot?
The grading exams applies to piano only ahhh?

Sorry I NOOB... cos' my dear daughter just playing on the keyboard only :)
My gal was also playing on Keybroad but was told to get piano so that she can get use the the depth of the key on the piano. Keyboard is good for beginner whom not sure whether kid will continue the course. Check with the teacher, they will be be to tell you whether is time to invest in a piano. :)

camom

Just order U1, my gal teacher told me can use till dip ley. Anyway Yahama sales is coming on 17 - 18 April @ suntec. You can do pre-ordering for the model you need. The following are the models that the teacher recommend:

JU109 PE @ $3290 - Gd6
JX113T PE @ $4800 - good 8
U1 PE @ $8500 - Dip

Hope the above help.
Wah, she gave you so many options!

Ours only gave me 2 - U1 or U3,both made in Jap models.

Fiona73

She is quite a caring teacher. Actually she had been asking me to get a piano when my gal was 3plus. But I want to confirm her interest before investment. Maybe she want me to at least get a decent piano for my gal. Hahaha. I understand from the centre, she also dun normally offer to convert her student to be individual train by her, but she did it for my gal. I guess my gal must be charmed her...heehee

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Like my daughter, when we 1st switched to piano, she was banging the keys too much cos keyboard can't really tell. Gotta correct n correct her.

The exam consist of 2 parts - theory n practical. The practical portion is played in front of the examiner in a room and dont know if it's mostly held at Yamaha cos always see U1.
OIC... dd learning at Seimpi... I heard can skip grade1 right? 4 yrs old... supposed to do those 1-1 training soon...
How old was your gal when she switched to piano?

JU109 PE @ $3290 - Gd6
JX113T PE @ $4800 - good 8
U1 PE @ $8500 - Dip

Hope the above help.
Wahhh... all looks foreign to me... gotta do some research liaooo...
No place to put a piano at home.... *faint*

camom

OIC... dear daughter learning at Seimpi... I heard can skip grade1 right? 4 yrs old... supposed to do those 1-1 training soon...
How old was your gal when she switched to piano?

Wahhh... all looks foreign to me... gotta do some research liaooo...
No place to put a piano at home.... *faint*
5yo. She started JMC at Yamaha after turning 4yo. We got a keyboard for her initially. I find that at 4yo, her hands weren't big & strong enough to play on piano. After she turned 5yo, her JMC teacher gave the option of playing on electone or piano when doing mini concerts in class so we switched to piano then. But she only started 1-1 lessons recently.

I dunno lehh, Yamaha very strict abt students' age, only can start keyboard after 4yo. Prior to that, it's mostly music appreciation.

Ya, can skip Grade 1.

Last edited:

camom

She is quite a caring teacher. Actually she had been asking me to get a piano when my gal was 3plus. But I want to confirm her interest before investment. Maybe she want me to at least get a decent piano for my gal. Hahaha. I understand from the centre, she also dont normally offer to convert her student to be individual train by her, but she did it for my gal. I guess my gal must be charmed her...heehee
Which centre is that? Can let me know? Wah, your gal must be very gd in music, that's why!

mumsietay

5yo. She started JMC at Yamaha after turning 4yo. We got a keyboard for her initially. I find that at 4yo, her hands weren't big & strong enough to play on piano. After she turned 5yo, her JMC teacher gave the option of playing on electone or piano when doing mini concerts in class so we switched to piano then. But she only started 1-1 lessons recently.

I dont know lehh, Yamaha very strict about students' age, only can start keyboard after 4yo. Prior to that, it's mostly music appreciation.

Ya, can skip Grade 1.

My gal is not with Yamaha and she's also learning on the keyboard on 1-1 basis now. Looks like JU109 is the most affordable choice. Actually how long does it take before they start to take grade 1 exams? Heard its about 2 years... :)

Last edited:

Daddy D

Alpha Male

I dont know lehh, Yamaha very strict about students' age, only can start keyboard after 4yo. Prior to that, it's mostly music appreciation.

Ya, can skip Grade 1.
1 reason we didn't enrol with Yamaha, cos' they dun have classes for younger toddlers.
I think 5 years old is a good age to play the piano n start the grading thingy... dun wan to pressure dd into it... hoping to build up her interest 1st. Wifey scared later buy piano liaoo then dd dun wan to learn... *faint*.
I think most parents will "force" the kids to continue with the grading exams cos' of the piano investment.... grade 8.... 8 years to complete??? No joke...

camom

My gal is not with Yamaha and she's also learning on the keyboard on 1-1 basis now. Looks like JU109 is the most affordable choice. Actually how long does it take before they start to take grade 1 exams? Heard its about 2 years... :)
It depends on what your expectations are and how ready the child is. Readiness is assessed by the teacher. I've got friends whose kids take the Grade 1 exam in the 2nd year aft they start 1-1, also those who took only after 3 years.

For me, no rush cos I want her to play bcos she enjoys, not rush thru the whole exam thingy and hate piano. Liddat really waste the $$ buying a piano.

For Yamaha, the 4 yr JMC/JYC course leads to either Grade 1 or 2 (can't remember). Means after graduating from the course, the child is enrolled for the ABRSM exam. During the 4 year course, there will be a Yamaha internal grade exam at the end of Year 2. Pass this exam and the child will get a certificate.

I dunno JU109 is which piano. If you are really interested, go down to Yamaha and ask them :) I heard Kawaii piano is also not bad. The cheapest BN piano I know of is the China Made Pearl River from Cristofori, cost probably $3k or less? But tr said this one no gd, I dunno why. I didn't ask cos we are using a UK brand which my fren's piano teacher said is very gd.

1 reason we didn't enrol with Yamaha, cos' they dont have classes for younger toddlers.
I think 5 years old is a good age to play the piano n start the grading thingy... dont want to pressure dear daughter into it... hoping to build up her interest 1st. Wifey scared later buy piano liaoo then dear daughter dont want to learn... *faint*.
I think most parents will "force" the kids to continue with the grading exams cos' of the piano investment.... grade 8.... 8 years to complete??? No joke...
8 yrs or more, depends on teacher. If she feels child is ready to take exam, then sign up. wahhahaahaa, me stop at Grade 2 when I was a kid, so more than 20 years later still haven't complete. One of my friend's rationale for making her kids take piano class? So that next time they have a sideline to fall back on if don't do well academically. She said piano teacher can earn alot of $$.

My fren's gal go for express course. est. 4 yrs but very very stressful. Expectation is at least 2 hours practice every day. Class schedule is each week 1 hour theory, 1 hour practical. She is doing Grade 6 now.

My gal's 1st Yamaha tr is very strict, famous in the Yamaha sch we attend for her strictness. In the 1st PTM, she said no such thing as "lose interest". To her "lose interest" = never practise at home and can't catch up, esp when move on to more difficult pieces. Her min expectation is 15 min per practice, at least once a day. Experienced teachers, once the kid starts playing, they can tell got practise or not, enough practise or not, etc. Mine at first play play, so got scolded till she cried in class. but still insist to go.

The 3rd teacher is our current teacher but her class is dissolving at the end of this mth :( . She is also very strict, another "infamous" one but very loving towards her students. We also started on 1-1 lessons concurrently recently. Very ks!

Last edited:

Fiona73

Which centre is that? Can let me know? Wah, your gal must be very good in music, that's why!
My gal had been attending Yahama music course since 3yrs old. She start from Music Wonderland and now in YJC. Both course in Sengkang.