Vaccination for Premature Babies

babytazz

Hi mummys,

Any idea if premature babies follow the same immunisation schedule as normal EDD borned babies? My boy is born at week 32 (2 mths early). When he was discharged, the nurse at KKH said the injections will follow from the date of first injection, ie the first injection at poly is on 11 Aug, the next one at 3M should be at 11 Nov or nearby. However, the polyclinic nurse said a different thing.. she said that my boy should have his 3M injections at the 3rd mth he was borned. Shouldn't delay.. Kind of confused now and not sure where to seek clarifications. If I consult a pediatrician, it will cost me $50.. the one my boy see charge by time frame.. Not too confident of all polyclinic docs after several experiences so don't really want to seek clarification from them. Thanks!

apollo

Hi mummys,

Any idea if premature babies follow the same immunisation schedule as normal EDD borned babies? My boy is born at week 32 (2 mths early). When he was discharged, the nurse at Kandang Kerbau Hospital said the injections will follow from the date of first injection, ie the first injection at poly is on 11 Aug, the next one at 3M should be at 11 Nov or nearby. However, the polyclinic nurse said a different thing.. she said that my boy should have his 3M injections at the 3rd month he was borned. Shouldn't delay.. Kind of confused now and not sure where to seek clarifications. If I consult a pediatrician, it will cost me $50.. the one my boy see charge by time frame.. Not too confident of all polyclinic docs after several experiences so dont't really want to seek clarification from them. Thanks!
i think shd be the same as normal babies. anw if u dun have much confidence in polyclinic nurses, i suggest u to go to a pd. though they said will charge by time frame but usually a consultation will be within 10min.and if ur baby take the vaccine, they will not charge consultation fee alrdy, just charge the vaccine fees. =)

tt's ds's pd practice, i dunno abt the other pd. =)

PinkDiamonds

I believe if there's no health complications, then I think it should be okay to follow the schedule from the 1st jab. Usually corrected age of premies is used for developmental milestones. If you are not sure then I think it'll be worthwhile to double check with your PD.

stonston

You must follow the schedule following the FIRST jab.
There is a 'time interval' between each jab to follow.

Usually the jabs will follow 'corrected age'. I'm not sure if that was done for your child's first jab, if it was, then you will need to follow the corrected age. Else, follow the schedule from the first jab.

babytazz

Thanks all! He just had his 2nd dose of Hep B which was supposed to be injected on 1M, but was scheduled for his 3M jabs next mth, which is only a 1M away from this Hep B 2nd jab instead of the usual 2M period.

babytazz

Hmmm.. just chanced upon this gov website that states the jab thingy. Think it should be ok to have the jabs as scheduled. Seems like they auto adjusted the dates for some jabs that need to be taken x mths later. I see that son's 3rd Hep B jab is adjusted to 5 mths from the 2nd jab. Now I feel safer.. :001_302:

hope seow

Hi mummys,

Any idea if premature babies follow the same immunisation schedule as normal EDD borned babies? My boy is born at week 32 (2 mths early). When he was discharged, the nurse at Kandang Kerbau Hospital said the injections will follow from the date of first injection, ie the first injection at poly is on 11 Aug, the next one at 3M should be at 11 Nov or nearby. However, the polyclinic nurse said a different thing.. she said that my boy should have his 3M injections at the 3rd month he was borned. Shouldn't delay.. Kind of confused now and not sure where to seek clarifications. If I consult a pediatrician, it will cost me $50.. the one my boy see charge by time frame.. Not too confident of all polyclinic docs after several experiences so dont't really want to seek clarification from them. Thanks!
hi, my gal born 33 wks followed the schedule of the jab. The only jab that was delayed was BCG. PD said can only take after turn 36 wks, which was 3 wks after she was born.

I remembered she did her BCG at official 36 wks, Hep B one mth later then the BCG. The rest of the jabs were like normal babies, no delay, din followed the actual EDD.

adelynn

my girl @ was born at week 32 and followed all her jabs as per time interval schedule other than BCG as well like hope seow.

The only difference with her is that they sometimes refer to the adjusted age for developmental milestones.