Giving Water to a Baby??

Read from somewhere and js to share with mummies...

Giving Water to a Baby

Does your breast- or bottle-fed baby need more than formula or breast milk to stay hydrated? The bottom line: No — for now.

What a difference a few weeks make! You probably feel more like a seasoned pro than a fumbling first-timer. You can burp your baby with the best of them, and feedings aren’t as fraught with anxiety as they were just a mere month ago. And you’ve probably also gotten pretty adept at ignoring all the (uninvited) baby advice of strangers (or relatives!) that you don’t need (with a smile, of course). Despite your newfound confidence (at least on your good days), it’s hard not to fall prey to other people’s suggestions when you’re not sure of the information. So, if your mom or mother-in-law advises you to give your infant extra water (“She’ll get dehydrated in the hot sun without it!”), and you’re unsure about the latest advice on giving water to a baby, you may be tempted to give it a try. Here’s why you should turn away from the temptation:

Breast milk or formula is enough for young babies. Despite what well-meaning family members might say, experts now know that until your baby starts eating solid foods, infants get all the water they need from breast milk or formula. That’s right — both breast milk and/or formula will keep your infant plenty hydrated, even on steamy summer days when you might be wondering if you should offer your little hottie a cool sip of water. The only exception to the rule about not giving water to a baby this age is if the infant is sick and is losing fluids due to diarrhea or vomiting. (But ask your pediatrician about this first.)

Giving water to a baby can actually harm her. Unless she’s very sick, a baby who satisfies her appetite (and her need to suck) with bottles of water will miss out on the nutrition she needs from her feedings. If done regularly, this can cause weight loss, and in the case of breast-fed babies, it can decrease your breast-milk supply. Giving water to a baby in large amounts can even lead to oral water intoxication, a condition in which the electrolytes (such as sodium) in a baby’s bloodstream become diluted, inhibiting normal bodily functions and leading to dangerous problems such as low body temperature or seizures.

Just say no to juice too. Not only will it fill up your infant’s tiny tummy (leaving no room for milk), but also the sugar in juice can cause stomach cramping and diarrhea in young babies.

When can you start giving water to a baby, then? Most experts suggest that you wait until you’ve started feeding solids to your baby, when she’s between four and six months old. At that point, you can talk with your pediatrician about how much H2O to serve up to your little one. As for juice, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you hold off until your baby is six months old, and then, that you limit the quantity to four ounces a day. To make sure you don’t overdo it on juice (and that you don’t decay your tot’s few teeth), dilute it with water (half-and-half anyone?), and avoid giving the sweet stuff to your sweetie right before bed. But for now, though, just stick with breast milk or formula.

apollo

thks for sharing! i hope all 1st time mummies will read this and understand WHY babies does not nd water (other than milk). Even when ds was sick, i didnt feed him any water (except milk) cos they dont need it. =)

apollo

every time saw those old ppl feeding their grand child water, I will feel the baby so poor... :embarrassed:
if only give abit daily, lik within 10-20ml, i still find it acceptable but i once saw a mother feeding water to her bb while waiting for pd's consultation. from her conversation with her mum (or mil), the bb was ony 1 week old. and i overheard that they gave water not becos like some ppl wanna let bb rinse the mouth but they wanna make the bb full. and during my stay beside them (abt 10-15min), the bb alrdy finished half bottle, those 125ml bottle. can see that the b was really HUNGRY yet the mother just give water..

Last edited:

keefu

thks for sharing! i hope all 1st time mummies will read this and understand WHY babies does not nd water (other than milk). Even when ds was sick, i didnt feed him any water (except milk) cos they dont need it. =)
Yeah I agree too though I am also first time mummy, but my CL, grandma and MIL likes to feed him thinking it will rinse off the milk content left in his mouth!!! I don't know how to tell them it's not necessary at all, even if he hiccups!

Yeah I agree too though I am also first time mummy, but my CL, grandma and MIL likes to feed him thinking it will rinse off the milk content left in his mouth!!! I don't know how to tell them it's not necessary at all, even if he hiccups!
only need to give some water to rinse off the milk in baby mouth when they have teeth...

aiks, if hiccups can give bit bit water la...

paperger85

I have also seen mummies feeding baby with water when clearly baby is hungry. Here comes my question, do you tell the mother that we shouldn't be giving baby so much water and letting them know that they are in fact harming their babies by feeding them with so much water?

keefu

only need to give some water to rinse off the milk in baby mouth when they have teeth...

aiks, if hiccups can give bit bit water la...
My baby had no teeth as he is only 2 weeks old now... Now he hiccup I never give any water and leave him as it is. Luckily so far they didn't feed him water excessively and sometimes my baby do reject water too.

apollo

tt time when i told my CL, she said she heard abt it b4 but she dunno y cannot feed. so she suggest for the time being (during the 1st week) she dun feed ds water 1st den ask PD during the 1st week checkup. and PD explained very clearly to us WHY cannot give them water and the consequences too. Lucky my CL's daughter is a nurse so she will listen to what doctors say. And back hm she helped me to explain to my parents and ince they know the reasons and consequences, they stop asking me to give water and if relatives nag n nag at me, they will tell them also. I still rmb my mum said i was crazy when i 1st told her bb cannot drink water. haha!

I have also seen mummies feeding baby with water when clearly baby is hungry. Here comes my question, do you tell the mother that we shouldn't be giving baby so much water and letting them know that they are in fact harming their babies by feeding them with so much water?
i wanted to but my hub told me not to since the grandma of the bb is there. -.-"

eurostar

PD say no, but old folk say yes
so to please in-law I feed a bit loh
anyway all my gf also feed water to infant and some already waiting for psle result
so yes and no all depend on each family i guess + of cos baby immune system

also got 1 tradition not sure which day after born, old folk believe to let infant taste as many kind of food as possible (taste onli not eat)

apollo

PD say no, but old folk say yes
so to please in-law I feed a bit loh
anyway all my gf also feed water to infant and some already waiting for psle result
so yes and no all depend on each family i guess + of cos baby immune system

also got 1 tradition not sure which day after born, old folk believe to let infant taste as many kind of food as possible (taste onli not eat)
FYI, nowadays FM is DIFFERENT from the past which I dont know if ur pd has explained this part to you. Anw, last time is last time, now is now, everything is different alrdy. I think many old folks just cant accept that time is different. IMHO nth happen doesnt mean we parents shd take any risk since by scientific, we shd not do so. =)

The 'try foods' shd be at 4mth old if i'm not wrong. Anw i didnt let ds try any of the foods cause he has not even started semi solid yet and I cant imagine letting him to lick those oily drumsticks. haha..

eurostar

FYI, nowadays FM is DIFFERENT from the past which I dont know if ur pd has explained this part to you. Anw, last time is last time, now is now, everything is different alrdy. I think many old folks just cant accept that time is different. IMHO nth happen doesnt mean we parents shd take any risk since by scientific, we shd not do so. =)

The 'try foods' shd be at 4mth old if i'm not wrong. Anw i didnt let ds try any of the foods cause he has not even started semi solid yet and I cant imagine letting him to lick those oily drumsticks. haha..
must well u say we follow ang mo style no need confinement since confinment is history lolxx
anyway just go with heart as is ur own baby...
no offence taken :)

apollo

but i think angmo babies and asian babies has not much different in their body and organs, still humans and since is an advice given by PD, i dont see why i shdnt follow. but like what u say, is our own baby we choose our own ways. we can only give suggestions n advices and not to force anyone going to the same track with us. =)

Ting

keke i gave pin water since day 1, so far so gd, she's been putting on weight well since young. she takes water very regularly now with no fuss at all, i hv no issues with her health as those stated. i guess to each of his own, do what u feel is comfy, as long as u dont replace the milk feeds with water itself, i see no issues in giving water. :)

candy_ian

Actually it all depends on which school of thoughts u r from. Some pds say it's ok to give a little water some says no needed. So follow your heart. Everyone has got diff ways to handling their child. Your baby your say. We r mainly sharing experiences n thoughts. Not to say ang moh or not ang moh thinking. Some think confinement not necessary so never do, I'm one of them.. Haha.. Anyway I think like what pin say if I wanna given water it shldnt replace a milk feed. The more water u give the less milk they drink. That's how simple the thing works. :)

Mummy to Baby V

I breastfed baby exclusively for 6.5 months, which meant no water until then.
Breastmilk solves the hydration problem by itself, it'll produce more fore or hindmilk depending on baby's needs.
Guess with breastfeeding, I didn't have to think about the feeding water issue.

My boy hiccuped almost everyday since my pregnancy. Ha... So we just let him be until he outgrew it.

Fortunately, CL was co-operative and I took care of baby after that, so no interference. Phew!

eurostar

ya do wat u feel is right and best for baby
i noe my frd feed baby 11pm and next feed is 6am as baby sleep so soundly through out...so wan to wake the infant up for milk or not is up to indivudual, there is no right or wrong
and she tell me her baby is growing faster than some who eat every 2hr BM

Ting

Actually it all depends on which school of thoughts u r from. Some pds say it's ok to give a little water some says no needed. So follow your heart. Everyone has got diff ways to handling their child. Your baby your say. We r mainly sharing experiences n thoughts. Not to say ang moh or not ang moh thinking. Some think confinement not necessary so never do, I'm one of them.. Haha.. Anyway I think like what pin say if I wanna given water it shldnt replace a milk feed. The more water u give the less milk they drink. That's how simple the thing works. :)
keke, not pin say ahhh~ it's pin's mummy say~~ LOL. :p

Ashbaby

0-6 months old baby dont really need water as they had not start on semi solid food.
For me a few sips of water during that period is okay. Water will dilute the milk and also baby below 6 months old, their kidney is not matured enough to handle too much water.

eurostar

Hey Mummies,

I used to think that giving water is a 'no' to infant below 6 months. But, this concept proves wrong. As lately, my child is having serious frequent sticky stool and doctor actually told me to offer him water before milk feeding. *Heaty so need water.

I also asked the doctor will that cause any harm to baby? She told me that nonsense and no, it won't harm as your baby milk content also have water.

So Mummies, just share this info to you, folks!

Now, I just pray hard that my baby will recover.

so old folk taught is right on giving water to reduce the "heaty" eg pimple on face as formula milk a bit heaty?
anyway I just give water to baby before formula milk, but breast milk I think is fine so sip his mouth wet :)
so far so good *****touch wood******

hope ur baby recover soonZzzzzzz........