Newborn Passport

kaerb

Hi Mummies,

was wondering has anyone applied passport for newborn? How long does it take? I know when I applied for renewal passport it takes around 1 week to get it ready..

As I intend to return to Malaysia where I reside after I give birth. Btw, we will register the baby as a singapore citizen as I am a Singaporean.

diymummy

You can apply for it online. It takes abt 2 weeks. You'll need to take a picture of your newborn and then submit it online. It costs around $70.

Amulet

no express service de.. ard 3 working days to 1 week ba..

i brought my girl to ICA on Day3( day of discharge) to get her birth cert done. applied for passport on the same day. got it ard 1week later i think..

kaerb

thanks amulet... 1 week I guess is the fastest.. I want to go back to my own home after I give birth that's why I need the passport fast.. Else, I have to stay with my grandmother in Singapore which isnt very convenient since all my stuff will be back home..

Amulet

thanks amulet... 1 week I guess is the fastest.. I want to go back to my own home after I give birth that's why I need the passport fast.. Else, I have to stay with my grandmother in Singapore which isnt very convenient since all my stuff will be back home..
why not give birth in malaysia instead?

kams

Remember to book the e-appointment when collecting the passport. Super short waiting time if u hav an e-appointment!

gumbokins

Remember to book the e-appointment when collecting the passport. Super short waiting time if u hav an e-appointment!
Yes yes, book the e-appointment. That way you know exactly what time to turn up to collect! otherwise sit there 2-3 hours, zzz.

Ting

actually i think it is pretty fast, after applying, it takes abt 3 working days (though they state 1 week) to process if everything is OK (esp the photo). then they will inform u to book your e appt 2 working days b4 the appt date n then after u book it, go down n collect, waiitng time abt 20 mins max.

kaerb

hmm... thanks All for your thorough information!!!! Now I'm wondering how to take a passport photo of my baby... would the baby be lying down then the photographer take it? Or I should be holding the baby ? Never thought of this question until now... hehehe

kaerb

Hi Amulet,

its my first child.. and I am more confident with my doctor in Singapore. Furthermore, I actually reside in Kuala Lumpur with my husband who is working here. But my parents stay in JB.. so its actually more convenient for me to give birth in Singapore then do my confinement in JB with my own parents. Another secondary reason is because we are going to let the baby take on Singapore citizenship.. so its more convenient one shot do everything in Singapore...

gumbokins

hmm... thanks All for your thorough information!!!! Now I'm wondering how to take a passport photo of my baby... would the baby be lying down then the photographer take it? Or I should be holding the baby ? Never thought of this question until now... hehehe
I submitted mine online so I took my daughter's photo myself at home. My mum wrapped herself in a white cloth as background and put my baby on her lap. Took over 80+ shots to get one satisfactory one haha.

But at ICA I heard they used bumbo chair...or if very young i guess parent will hold? They are surely pro at taking newborn passport photos..

kaerb

wah.. that's smart!!! I shall try to do that in the hospital.. but if cannot.. sigh.. will need to wait my turn in ICA then..

Ting

i think lying down is ok, just make sure u place her on a white sheet and the angle is correct. :)

shiyi

i took a closeup photo of my girl when she just learnt how to lift up her head when lying on her stomach

Renzie

I did her passport when she was about 3 weeks old. Just lay a piece of white cloth behind her while she's lying down and use my hp to take the photo. Then upload and send it online. It took about 1 week to from submission to collection of passport (I did e-appointment as well)

redjn

i did my boy passport when he was abt 1 mth o. the whole progress submission done online & we got the approval less than 1 week. did a online collection booking & collected the passport in less than half hr.

As for the photo, u can take it up right with bb on the bed & then use the photo editing service provide by ICA online : Immigration & Checkpoints Authority - Image Editing Tool
this will help to to crop the photo to the rightfully size required by the authority for your submission.

mag_huiling

For mine, I brought my girl to take photo at a shop, the person even help me submit the application and photo online. 3 days later, i check for the status online and it's ready. So i think online application faster?

For photo-taking, those neighbourhood photography shop, which provide taking of passport size photo knows how to take photo for babies. No harming popping by one and ask.

kams

I took my gal's photo when she was 6wks old. Just put her down on my white bedsheet & start clicking. Make sure that baby is facing full frontal & both eyes are open.

Below is the exact pic that i sent to ICA via online application.

azrapassport1.jpg