Is it normal for 3mths old baby to still feed at 2hrly intervals? Even at nite??

mrs_eg

Hi ladies,

My baby is on total breastfeeding. May I know is it normal for 3mths old baby to still feed at 2hrly even at night???
Many of my frens' babies, some even younger than my girl are now able to slp longer at night, without waking up for milk....
And im sure my girl is not going thru growth spurt... Cos tis been happening since day one...

My mum often question if it is becos she didnt hav enuf milk, and is not full thats why she is not able to slp well... Always ask me to try feed fm and "see hw".... :(

Could it be due my small chests thats why there is little "storage" of milk... Therefore my girl needs to drink more frequently to get nourished???? Anyone hav similar situation here???

If so it is not possible for my baby to slp longer?? I scared she isnt getting enuf rest... Shld i giv her FM so she can slp longer?????

Pls advise... Thanx in advance!!!

Last edited:

fioncess

it depend on individual baby. My girl used to feed at 1.5-2hr interval too..
She also didnt slp thru the night till she's abt 6mth.
small chest doesnt mean little storage of milk.
AS long as ur baby is gaining weight n happy there's nothing to worry abt...

Fiona73

Agreed with fioncess, as long your baby is gaining weight, look contented after each feed, she is doing fine. Explained to your mum, maybe baby is a small eater, that's why need to feed frequently. Mummy you r doing well as you already successfully bf her for 3 months.

happybaby

Hi ladies,

My baby is on total breastfeeding. May I know is it normal for 3mths old baby to still feed at 2hrly even at night???
Many of my frens' babies, some even younger than my girl are now able to slp longer at night, without waking up for milk....
And im sure my girl is not going thru growth spurt... Cos tis been happening since day one...

My mum often question if it is becos she didnt hav enuf milk, and is not full thats why she is not able to slp well... Always ask me to try feed fm and "see hw".... :(

Could it be due my small chests thats why there is little "storage" of milk... Therefore my girl needs to drink more frequently to get nourished???? Anyone hav similar situation here???

If so it is not possible for my baby to slp longer?? I scared she isnt getting enuf rest... Shld i giv her FM so she can slp longer?????

Pls advise... Thanx in advance!!!
Hi Mrs Eg
I think it's normal for baby to have frequent feeding. Mine actually still demand feeding every 1.5 to 2 hr. As for sleeping through the night..my PD say try ti let baby sleep by 10pm, ,off the light, make sure the room is dark and quiet..we tried it and now my baby was sleeping at around 10 to 11pm all the way to morning. I wake her up early at about 6 to 7 am to get her use to early waking. She got to wake up much earlier when i start work....now try to bottlefeed her once a day...but find it very "mafan" cos must wask all the bottles etc....sign...

kaymummy

My baby is turning 3 months this week and he's also feeding every 1.5-2 hours during the night. If he's going through growth spurts, he'll feed every 1-1.5hours. Sometimes I also wonder if it's insufficient milk... I breastfeed him on one side of the breast only and will usually pump after a feed. The pump after the feed will yield only 50-60ml. :( If I do not latch on/pump for 3 hours, then I will be able to achieve 100-120ml.

Is my milk flow insufficient? I've tried many ways to increase... but it's like very hard.

mrs_eg

Hi Mrs Eg
I think it's normal for baby to have frequent feeding. Mine actually still demand feeding every 1.5 to 2 hr. As for sleeping through the night..my PD say try ti let baby sleep by 10pm, ,off the light, make sure the room is dark and quiet..we tried it and now my baby was sleeping at around 10 to 11pm all the way to morning. I wake her up early at about 6 to 7 am to get her use to early waking. She got to wake up much earlier when i start work....now try to bottlefeed her once a day...but find it very "mafan" cos must wask all the bottles etc....sign...
hi happybaby, may i knw hw old is ur baby?
Did u mean ur baby slp from 10-11pm to 6-7pm without waking up for feed? Wow!

Btw, my baby's bedtime routine starts ard 8pm. Will bathe her in warm bath, dress her, read story, nurse, and try to coax her to slp... But sometimes until 10-11pm she still wide awake! Even if she finally fall asleep, usually 11-ish pm, she still wakes up 2hrs later for feed... But often drink one side and drifts off to sleep.... And then wakes up 2hrs later and drink one side again.. The cycle continues till 10am before she become FULLY awake...

Thanx ladies, it is comforting to knw Im not the only one... Is there a way to improve on the situation? Drag the intervals longer? Or I jus have to wait patiently for that fateful day?!

mrs_eg

My baby is turning 3 months this week and he's also feeding every 1.5-2 hours during the night. If he's going through growth spurts, he'll feed every 1-1.5hours. Sometimes I also wonder if it's insufficient milk... I breastfeed him on one side of the breast only and will usually pump after a feed. The pump after the feed will yield only 50-60ml. :( If I do not latch on/pump for 3 hours, then I will be able to achieve 100-120ml.

Is my milk flow insufficient? I've tried many ways to increase... but it's like very hard.
Hey I feel for u gal, i hav the exact situation. Do u mean u always feed one side n pump the other and yield 50-60mls? There was a period of time when I was on medication and unable to feed my baby breastmilk, i had to pump to kp the supply going... But each time, i can barely reach 70ml both sides... But when i tried squeezing manually, i still hav milk! I was wondering whether my milk supply is low, or my pump not suitable for me?

May i knw wat pump u using?

thepinkdot

you might want to consider feeding him both sides instead of just one side..

kaymummy

mrs_eg, I feed on one side because baby "ejects" out the nipple after the feeding and falls asleep... refuses to open his mouth anymore already. After that then I will still pump out to empty the breast further.

I'm using Medela pump in style.

kaymummy

Hi thepinkdot, I tried feeding him on both sides... he takes in both sides only during the growth spurts periods... Other times, he seems to be happy with one side and will go on to sleep. Like if I feed him at night, I just need to feed on one side, then he'll sleep through for 2 hours. Like this how ah?

ast0212

Wow 50-60ml after a feed? That's fantastic! I was lucky to get even 5ml after feeding! But even so my baby was getting enough milk. Try offering the other breast after emptying one. At this age they may start taking two breasts, but don't worry if they don't want it, it means they've had enough.

It's totally normal babies feed so frequently. Check for wet nappies, some weight gain (over a period of time rather than weekly as breastfed babies' weight gain varies week to week), good skin colour and muscle tone, alert and content after feeding. Those are the best signs that your baby is getting enough milk. The amount you express is not really a good indicator as babies are more efficient than pump :)

happybaby

hi happybaby, may i knw hw old is ur baby?
Did u mean ur baby slp from 10-11pm to 6-7pm without waking up for feed? Wow!

Btw, my baby's bedtime routine starts ard 8pm. Will bathe her in warm bath, dress her, read story, nurse, and try to coax her to slp... But sometimes until 10-11pm she still wide awake! Even if she finally fall asleep, usually 11-ish pm, she still wakes up 2hrs later for feed... But often drink one side and drifts off to sleep.... And then wakes up 2hrs later and drink one side again.. The cycle continues till 10am before she become FULLY awake...

Thanx ladies, it is comforting to knw Im not the only one... Is there a way to improve on the situation? Drag the intervals longer? Or I jus have to wait patiently for that fateful day?!
Hi Mrs Eng
My baby is 14 weeks old liao. she used to wake up for night feed at about 2 or 3 am when we on a dim light in the room..but when we try lights off, it become very good for us liao (",) Her bed time routine will be..warm bath at about 8plus, play a few game with her, last feed around 9 plus or 10 plus and zzzzz until next morning and i will express milk for storage before latching her.

kaymummy

Wow happybaby, last feed at 9plus and can last till next morning... Maybe I should try to total lights off.

Now I'm trying to feed him both sides, but he's still feeding every 2 hours... Think I will try with total lights off too to see what's the effect. :)

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
every two hours is great already... I remember my #2 drank every 30mins til she was about 6 mths or it could have been longer... can't remember liao... that was during the day, during the nite, she'd binge for 2-3 hours nonstop then sleep for 4-5 hours.

every baby is different. you just really have to go with the flow and let them develop at their own pace.

hang in there, they do grow up and stop asking for milk so often. *hugs*

angelwendy

Every baby is different.. like for my boy.. he woke up every 2 ~ 3 hrs for milk since birth till about 9 months.. then woke up only one or two time in the middle of the night.. so cannot compare... some of my frenz bb sleep thru the night.. but mine still wakes up.. i think slowly babies will cut down themself.. patz.. i know it can be very tiring.. as i been thru this.. & still going thru this now.. but i'm glad is better now.. finger cross...

mrs_eg

Happybaby, we use night light in our rm but tried ur lights off method... Switch off night light n slp in total darkness... Didnt work... Hahaha

Jopeck, 30mins interval??? Kudos to u!!!

Angelwendy, isnt it dis-heartening when everyone else's baby is slpin thru the night? Hard not to compare.... Especially when ppl giv u a "shocked" face when they hear my baby still wakes up perpetually for feed... As if it shldnt be... But guess u are right... All babies different... Special on their own...

It is really comforting now tat ive heard u all...

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
Happybaby, we use night light in our rm but tried your lights off method... Switch off night light n sleep in total darkness... Didnt work... Hahaha

Jopeck, 30mins interval??? Kudos to you!!!

Angelwendy, isnt it this-heartening when everyone else's baby is slpin thru the night? Hard not to compare.... Especially when ppl give you a "shocked" face when they hear my baby still wakes up perpetually for feed... As if it shldnt be... But guess you are right... All babies different... Special on their own...

It is really comforting now that ive heard you all...
the switch off light trick may take a few days to work. Basically you're training your baby to differentiate between day and nite. For me, I had noise and lights on the whole day and at night, I'd have a regular routine before bedtime then switch off all the lights. It worked for me as I started this from the time they got back from the hospital.

its what places like this forum is for so that you can see that you're not in a 'worst' situation and actually in some instances, a much better situation! *grin*

I think that's one key thing I've had to learn as a parent. Never ever COMPARE!!! not with my own kids, not with other people's kids. I try my best to enjoy each child for who and what they are. For instance, I gave you my worse nurser... my #1 nursed every 2-3 hours straight thru the day and nite. My #3 was more a 1 hr nurser during the daytime and a 2-3 hr nurser at nite... so they're all different. :)

bella

Depends on individual baby. Some take longer to adjust. Mine only sleeps throgh the night at 6 months. Then at 8 months start waking up again, probably because of teethung pains. :(