Can breastfeeding mummy pregnant?

Hi Mummies,

Merry Christmas!!
I currently still breastfeeding my baby. I wondering is possible I get my second pregnant if I continue breastfeeding my baby?
Is the high chance to get pregnant?
Thanks you

edy

Administrator
Staff member
In studies conducted by the World Health Organization and researchers to determine if breastfeeding can effectively prevent pregnancy, results have shown that in 98 percent of the times, breastfeeding was a barrier to conception if three criteria were met

- You must be fully or nearly fully breastfeeding. This means you should be breastfeeding at night and have regular and small intervals between feeding times.

- You have not resumed your menstrual periods. Any kind of vaginal bleeding after the 56th postpartum day is a sign that fertility has returned.

- Your baby is younger than six months.

If you are engaging in sexual intercourse, the safest bet is to wear condom for peace of mind.

Hi Edy,

Thanks you for your information.

So, if I want to get my second pregnant, mean I have to stop my breastfeeding?
Thanks

edy

Administrator
Staff member
That is correct :) stop breast feeding and ... ... ... second baby :)

4mummy

Hi Mummies,

Merry Christmas!!
I currently still breastfeeding my baby. I wondering is possible I get my second pregnant if I continue breastfeeding my baby?
Is the high chance to get pregnant?
Thanks you
Hi pangsn7376,

A friend of mine got pregnant even though she was breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is not a method of contraception, even though it tends to delay menses.
I think you should continue breastfeeding and also use condoms (if u don't intend to get pregnant).

Hope this helps :)

That is correct :) stop breast feeding and ... ... ... second baby :)
this is NOT correct. You can continue to breastfeed and get pregnant. Both my sister and I conceived the 2nd one while breastfeeding the first. In fact, i was trying for no 2 while breastfeeding no 1 and continued to breastfeed no 1 all through the 2nd pregnancy until one week before delivery.

edy

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the correction Dujuan :)

Based on the report i read, the chances are 98% lower if you are breastfeeding and met with those criteria mentioned earlier.

maneo0302

Fascinating! Probably i should try to have a second one after I deliver next year june. I might be in time to have a dragon baby. By that time, i think my company will hate me for that. Hehe!

haha!! I think most companies dislike their woman staffs get pregnant...
I still trying my second.. hope can success!! : D

Fascinating! Probably i should try to have a second one after I deliver next year june. I might be in time to have a dragon baby. By that time, i think my company will hate me for that. Hehe!

maneo0302

True. No company will like tat. But i don't wanna regret later when I'm too old to give birth! I will rather sacrifice my job.

Ya. Agreed. Baby is more important than job. But now cost living are so high, if only depend on income of hubby, feel so difficult to survive.

True. No company will like tat. But i don't wanna regret later when I'm too old to give birth! I will rather sacrifice my job.

I think my situation same as you. My management also dislike the woman staffs in office get pregnant. I just give birth early of this year. I now planning the second one cause don't want too late to give birth. So just don't bother the company, maybe after give birth for 2nd baby, looking another new job ba.. no choice.

Well... i also don't know how. But i must have at least 2 kids. :)

maneo0302

I plan to looking for another job during my maternity leave after i give birth to first. Have been looking around for the past 1 year, but no news. So i have to stick to my current job.

Yes, the most important now is give birth first.
As I now trying the 2nd, no dare to change the job. Also make me confuse, should I change job first or get my 2nd pregnant first. Cause afraid when i change a new job, then kena pregnant. Difficult to make the decision. Headache also.
Is this your first baby??

I plan to looking for another job during my maternity leave after i give birth to first. Have been looking around for the past 1 year, but no news. So i have to stick to my current job.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I've had two kids while breastfeeding. So no, breastfeeding doesn't stop you from getting pregnant at all. Once you have your period, please use contraception... actually, I wouldn't stop using it at all because remember that your egg is released before your period arrives. So might be just 'lucky' and never have a period between pregnancies.

maneo0302

Yes, the most important now is give birth first.
As I now trying the 2nd, no dare to change the job. Also make me confuse, should I change job first or get my 2nd pregnant first. Cause afraid when i change a new job, then kena pregnant. Difficult to make the decision. Headache also.
Is this your first baby??
This is my first pregnancy.
I also plan to change job then have 2nd baby. But its not like you want baby, then u have it. Probably i try to conceive when bf. By the way, can i continue to bf if i found myself pregnant again?

maneo0302

I've had two kids while breastfeeding. So no, breastfeeding doesn't stop you from getting pregnant at all. Once you have your period, please use contraception... actually, I wouldn't stop using it at all because remember that your egg is released before your period arrives. So might be just 'lucky' and never have a period between pregnancies.

I did not eat pills before. But i input IUD to prevent myself from getting pregnant, last 3 years. Once i remove it after 3 yrs, i got pregnant immediately. Its better than pills i think. there's no side effects.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
This is my first pregnancy.
I also plan to change job then have 2nd baby. But its not like you want baby, then you have it. Probably i try to conceive when bf. By the way, can i continue to bf if i found myself pregnant again?
yes you can bf during pregnancy. As long as your gynae says its ok to make love, you can breastfeed. Warning... it is not a fun experience... BUT its really v. v. v. v. worth it!!!!