Clumps in breast milk. Help!!

Starla

Hi, I'm new here. Need advise if anyone here has experienced having clumpy breast milk. For the past 2 days I noticed my expressed milk has clumps in it. It's substance like toufu which doesn't mix within the milk itself. I'm not sure if this is safe for my baby's consumption. I've been filtering out these clumps by scooping them out manually.. Should I see a professional for this??

HoneybunnyZ

Do you mean they look like milk curds? It happened to me too when I used to express. Should be normal it usually happens after u leave the bottle standing still for awhile.
I usually twirl it around in a bottle for awhile then it will fine. Sometimes it takes more time to shake and twirl to do the trick:)

Starla

Finally one kind mummy replied to my queries.. Hmmm.. It floats at the top of the milk. No matter how much swirling or twirling. Shied it to Hubby, Hubby says it looks like phlegm, or tofu.. It doesn't break down.. Sometimes it's clumps in small pieces, sometimes its one big piece by itself.I've tried expressing milk for my 2 kids before but ended up failing due to sore breast or insufficient milk supply. Wanting to succeed for my third one but keep having problems here and there.. So sad..

HoneybunnyZ

Hmm if you don't shake and gently swirl should break up as the mucus or Tao hui like clumps are components of proteins, sugar n fats etc
Do you take a lot of fresh milk or powdered milk yourself. Does warming it up and then swirling the bottle help?

The other thing is unless you are nursing some infection eg. Breast engorged didn't clear properly leading to sore breasts? The you may see clumps that looks like dried milk ... These usually won't break up.

Oh I met with my fair share of problems too; from a protesting and ignorant about bf mil to a confinement lady in cahoots with her to breast infections or plugged ducts.
My boy 29 months alr still bf... My prob now is I dunno how to get him to zzz Without bf.
Lac consultants don't see it as a big deal so I still dunno wat to do

I would suggest you make appt with a lactation consultant at TMC
They may ask you to pump out and show them n they'll check your breasts at the same time
And give you advice.

The max I ever paid was $40plus which is cheaper than seeing a gp for flu or a private consultant
Get your answers once n for all to be sure. You may feel more empowered with more knowledge so don't give up yet:)

my EBM did have some like toufu when store at fridge for 1day, i think is ok one, normally i will smell the EBM and if no weird smell, then will give it to my gal..

she is 7mths now... 100% breastmilk n everything ok.. so, don worry... as long as no weird smell.

Happydays-shop

Finally one kind mummy replied to my queries.. Hmmm.. It floats at the top of the milk. No matter how much swirling or twirling. Shied it to Hubby, Hubby says it looks like phlegm, or tofu.. It doesn't break down.. Sometimes it's clumps in small pieces, sometimes its one big piece by itself.I've tried expressing milk for my 2 kids before but ended up failing due to sore breast or insufficient milk supply. Wanting to succeed for my third one but keep having problems here and there.. So sad..
exactly same as me.
i fail to breastfeed my first 2 kids, now i've been expressing milk for my #3 for coming 6months.
me too, having those jelly jelly kind on the milk, i still give my baby drink though.

Starla

Thanks to all mummys for the kind advice.. The tofu like substances has cleared off by itself.. Dunno issit due to the food I ate.. Anyway problems with my milk supply again.. Thought using a highly recommended pump would ensure a smooth journey in breastfeeding.. I bought medela pump in style and Ameda breast pump.. But some parts of my breast still feel hard after I pump. So I ended up hand expressing. So far I feel hand expressing still most comfy for me.. But it's not the best method if I'm going back to work.. Now my apply from average 100ml per breast dropped nearly by half.. And I worry I cannot maintain my supply.. Should I approach a lactation consultant or should I get a postal massage lady for a massage for engorged breast? Any recommendation?

HoneybunnyZ

Ya food can play a part when I drank alot of fresh milk that happens
I feel a lactation is better think there's a mrs Wong in TMC not bad
Private ones are Doris fok n betty but def more expensive
By the one avent in TMC dual electric one works far better for me than medela

Thanks to all mummys for the kind advice.. The tofu like substances has cleared off by itself.. dont know issit due to the food I ate.. Anyway problems with my milk supply again.. Thought using a highly recommended pump would ensure a smooth journey in breastfeeding.. I bought medela pump in style and Ameda breast pump.. But some parts of my breast still feel hard after I pump. So I ended up hand expressing. So far I feel hand expressing still most comfy for me.. But it's not the best method if I'm going back to work.. Now my apply from average 100ml per breast dropped nearly by half.. And I worry I cannot maintain my supply.. Should I approach a lactation consultant or should I get a postal massage lady for a massage for engorged breast? Any recommendation?
Hi, I faced same prob, no matter how i pump, my breast still can feel the hardness at one part, after tat, i called Mt A hotline n ask for help, the bf prof told me that should be due to my nipple block, then i see my nipple, got one small white dot, then the prof told me to use needle to 刺破, but have to be careful la.. after tat, i pump n pump again, finally the milk all out n no more hardness...

u need to have consistent schedule of pump, then ur supply will be more n more..

add oil..