Kumon????

jedamum

:elvis: hahahaa......

is not nothing else better to do...... is you are curious exactly how the method is all about.....

anyway your kid go to kumon too?
nope...so i read to see if i have any misconception....if the book can convince me, maybe next time i'll try on ds2 at a younger age.
ds1 is now at an 'argumentative' stage..want him to sit down do work he will sure negotiate..if still have to time and force him to re-do cos cannot hit timing, he and me sure miserable.
how young can start?

YA. Do agree that Kumon's business is really good.

As I'm staying at Tiong Bahru area, would also like to send my daughter to Kumon. I'm still struggling to send her to Kumon or to Phonics class..
if u want long term plan, i suggest kumon...

and she can start doing 1 subject first.... as she get use to it, u can introduce the rest to her if you want

nope...so i read to see if i have any misconception....if the book can convince me, maybe next time i'll try on ds2 at a younger age.
ds1 is now at an 'argumentative' stage..want him to sit down do work he will sure negotiate..if still have to time and force him to re-do cos cannot hit timing, he and me sure miserable.
how young can start?
my boy started at 4+..... youngest is 3......

the younger they start, the faster they finish the course... and be earlier then their peers...

is just a matter of discipline they need to be train....

my boy sometime also negotiate..... and argue..... but i make it a point that he does his work!

So he know that he need to do his kumon worksheets... though sometime i give him a break and the next day he does double the work... hahaha

Crashz

how young can start?
Kumon ultimate vision is 'world peace thru education' they believe in cultiviting life skills to the child, educate them to become a better person, not only acedamically but also characteristics, naturally, as an individual become a better person, they will influence people around them to become better as well, thus bringing the family, the country and the world a better place for everyone. Through Kumon, they want all kumon child to be self-independent, self-realisation..

And Yes, Kumon is a long term enrichment course, you need to be with the course for at least 3 years to see the result...as far as I know, in general Kumon's instructors are genuniely concern about the child's development, it is not easy to run a kumon centre...... I think having an instructor who has the passion and care for each child is important, at least I know my child is in good hand even he may not excel in his work...

Not selling kumon, I got no share hehe.... but want to share what I know.. for all interesting mummies to assess what they really want for their child...

Crashz

yes not every kids are suitable....

but it seems that every kumon centre in singapore are packed!!!

Every week i bring my boy for his lesson, I can see that their business must be good!!! :tlaugh:

What I believe is..... Practice makes perfect...... and that is what Kumon drill in........... though my boy always make mistakes.... is not that he do not know the answers..... is that he is VERY CARELESS!!!. Since Kumon emphasis on speed and accuracy, if he can do his work fast, he will have time to check his work although he is not doing that now..... rather, he will be playing with his own imagination till the teacher complain him not doing his work while the rest are...... without knowing he actually finished...:001_302:
hey.. which centre? maybe my boy and your boy are kumonmate??

hey.. which centre? maybe my boy and your boy are kumonmate??
There's so many kumon centres in singapore..... think quite tough to be kumonmate in the same centre...

Mine at Yishun Central....

I like this centre cause I've tried other centres before transfering back to Yishun Central centre.

What I know for English, the instructors will just follow the worksheets and when the child know his/her worksheets, they will go to next level.

The instructor at Yishun Central told me that although the child can read the worksheets from inside out, they do not recognise the vocabs and memorise it. So she practices flash cards with the students too which is also extra work for her.

Supergirl

Can't we just buy the Kumon assessment books to do at home? Seems like the teachers in Kumon does not need to teach, just ask the children to do worksheets.

Actually I have bad impression of Kumon because my friend's mom is teaching there and she is not even qualify to teach.

:nah:

Can't we just buy the Kumon assessment books to do at home? Seems like the teachers in Kumon does not need to teach, just ask the children to do worksheets.

Actually I have bad impression of Kumon because my friend's mom is teaching there and she is not even qualify to teach.

from what i observe, kumon teachers don't teach. they are there to assist the child when they face difficulties in their work.

Also, their job is to plan the study plan for the student and make sure they move towards the goal that was set.

Only the instructor is the main person who will do the planning and the overall function of the centre. The rest of the teachers are there to assist in marking the papers and helping out.

There might be another teacher who will help the younger ones though....

So, since kumon don't need to teach as in a class, don't think they need to be qualified to teach.

Think the money we paid, are actually for the worksheets etc..... which u cannot find outside and we paid for the planning for the child and they see individual child and plan accordingly.

tamarind

This is exactly what I am doing. I bought many kumon books for my kids to practice at home. But I haven't been using them a lot, don't see the point in practicing 1+1, 1+2, 1+3, so many times.

This is exactly what I am doing. I bought many kumon books for my kids to practice at home. But I haven't been using them a lot, don't see the point in practicing 1+1, 1+2, 1+3, so many times.
hahahaha

At first I had this impression too....

but after seeing my boy can write the answers instantly after seeing the question, then I understood.

I can never win him when it comes to doing addition......

so in future, I think I cant win him even in substraction, multiplication and division..... even algebra?

I mean the time taken in doing all the sums..... they are FAST..... real FAST.... which is important when doing exam...... and also ACCURATE....

Addition is just the foundation...... I saw the higher levels math.....:elvis:

Statistics, linear equation etc..... scary~~:embarrassed:

Crashz

hahahaha

but after seeing my boy can write the answers instantly after seeing the question, then I understood.

so in future, I think I cant win him even in substraction, multiplication and division..... even algebra?

I mean the time taken in doing all the sums..... they are FAST..... real FAST.... which is important when doing exam...... and also ACCURATE....

Yes think the main thing about Kumon is about building foundation, adding, subtraction, multiplication or division is the basic foundation leading to more difficult topics like linear equation... it have to work hand in hand with English, only with strong foundation in Maths and english, the child can then easily comprehend the question and do it with ease. so even Kumon maths does not stress on problem sum, it helps on foundation. Moreover I think problem sum can come in many form of questions, so most important is for the child to understand the question and do it with ease. if not you will end up having the kids memorising the problem sum without knowing what is the real question.

Yes think the main thing about Kumon is about building foundation, adding, subtraction, multiplication or division is the basic foundation leading to more difficult topics like linear equation... it have to work hand in hand with English, only with strong foundation in Maths and english, the child can then easily comprehend the question and do it with ease. so even Kumon maths does not stress on problem sum, it helps on foundation. Moreover I think problem sum can come in many form of questions, so most important is for the child to understand the question and do it with ease. if not you will end up having the kids memorising the problem sum without knowing what is the real question.
yes totally agree with you.

In Primary school, they emphasis a lot on problem solving now for math.... but you will still need the foundation in the technical part of math....

As I mentioned earlier in other post, you will have to do both english and math in order to be able to solve problems easily.

When the child goes to sec sch, don't think there's so many problemsolvings but more on the technical.....

Will also help when he/she do physics in future...

tamarind

hahahaha

I think it is great that you found a method that brings out the best in your boy, and your boy likes it. :001_302:

In my case, not possible to make my boy and girl do so many work sheets. That's why need to crack my brain to think of interesting method to teach them.

I think it is great that you found a method that brings out the best in your boy, and your boy likes it. :001_302:

In my case, not possible to make my boy and girl do so many work sheets. That's why need to crack my brain to think of interesting method to teach them.
think gotta start since young for them to be use to the method and we gotta make sure they do it....

so i agree it does not suit everyone.......

Hm...... so far anything in mind for ur kids?

tamarind

My girl used to like to do those Kumon worksheets, but after a while lost interest.

Now both my kids go to PCF nursery/kindergarten, my girl only attending Berries Chinese class now. Last year she attended Montessori phonics class, completed the course. My younger boy still no enrichment class yet. I am teaching him phonics myself. Checkout my blog :)

Tamarind Village: Reading

My girl used to like to do those Kumon worksheets, but after a while lost interest.

Now both my kids go to PCF nursery/kindergarten, my girl only attending Berries Chinese class now. Last year she attended Montessori phonics class, completed the course. My younger boy still no enrichment class yet. I am teaching him phonics myself. Checkout my blog :)

Tamarind Village: Reading
hmmm but lost interest don't mean she should stop right? is the dicipline that they learn.... and also from the help of parents to enforce the discipline...

for my boy, i make sure he does it eventhough sometimes he will complain... he knows that kumon worksheets is a part of his life as a student... and i told him if he want his medal, work for it......

So after phonics, what will u be teaching ur gal?

tamarind

My girl is only 5 years old this year, my boy will be 4. I don't want to pressurize them too much. I don't believe that doing work sheet is that important at this age. I want to develop their creativity and interpersonal skills, which I think are much are important. They will have enough homework when they go to primary school. I have heard of cases where kids get burnt out at kumon classes and refused to do worksheets anymore.

My girl is already reading very well now. She will finish the ladybird keyword series 12, which is the highest level soon. I will just let her read english books consistently, especially the classics like "Little House on the Prairie", "The Secret Garden", "Heidi", etc. I want her to develop a love of reading, so she will learn on her own. She is also doing long addition and multiplication at home. Other than that, I will just let her learn whatever is taught in her kindergarten and Berries Chinese class.

I am more interested in teaching her other skills, like baking cupcakes and cookies. She loves drawing so I am planning to send her to arts class.

My girl is only 5 years old this year, my boy will be 4. I don't want to pressurize them too much. I don't believe that doing work sheet is that important at this age. I want to develop their creativity and interpersonal skills, which I think are much are important. They will have enough homework when they go to primary school. I have heard of cases where kids get burnt out at kumon classes and refused to do worksheets anymore.

My girl is already reading very well now. She will finish the ladybird keyword series 12, which is the highest level soon. I will just let her read english books consistently, especially the classics like "Little House on the Prairie", "The Secret Garden", "Heidi", etc. I want her to develop a love of reading, so she will learn on her own. She is also doing long addition and multiplication at home. Other than that, I will just let her learn whatever is taught in her kindergarten and Berries Chinese class.

I am more interested in teaching her other skills, like baking cupcakes and cookies. She loves drawing so I am planning to send her to arts class.
sounds good...

but this must have a lot of time for the kids then possible...

for me, i got no time due to work.....

when i bake cakes, i do let my boy help me though....

I plan to bring my boy to learn music instead of art.... he is not very artistic..:tlaugh:

Irenep

if u want long term plan, i suggest kumon...

and she can start doing 1 subject first.... as she get use to it, u can introduce the rest to her if you want
Thinking of starting her with English Class 1st. BTW... may I know how they conduct class for English ?

I went to Kumon Tiong Bahru branch last weekend & find that their centre is so small... saw students & a few teachers (I suppose so) inside but seems like everyone is in the same class....

Thinking of starting her with English Class 1st. BTW... may I know how they conduct class for English ?

I went to Kumon Tiong Bahru branch last weekend & find that their centre is so small... saw students & a few teachers (I suppose so) inside but seems like everyone is in the same class....
YES.. their layout is pretty similar... all in a classroom together with a few teachers marking and the instructor walking ard helping out.

The students all of diff ages and level sit in the same room but do their own worksheets... the children will nto play, or chat with eachother... all concentrating on their work..... this is the discipline that they want.

Hmmm for english, they will have worksheets everyday, can buy the cd to play for ur child to listen and read out together with the worksheets. For my son's centre, they have flashcards that u can go through with your child... u can ask them if they sell the flashcards if they do not use it during lessons.

Each level have around 150cards at least... meaning a lot of vocabs.....

Slowly will go on to learn more vocabs, phonics, etc.....