Employing maid

jaybaobei

hi mummies, anyone knows if its like against the law/illegal if the maid sleeps in the living room?

during my off days i intend to bring baby and maid back to my mom's place, and theres not enough space, however my mom has got extra mattress etc. Is it ok if like 1 or 2 days a week she has to sleep in the living room?
i think is ok to let maid sleep in the living rm. my maid used to slp in study rm until last yr around jun, she slp in the living rm. cos as my bb grows up, their things getting more & more.
nw my study rm is like storerm so she hv to slp in living rm. but of cos she herself oso 'kiasu'. before she slp, she will sweep the living rm (she say hv to sweep the floor if nt her mattress got dirty). just let her be...

Frenchkitty

Hi all Mommies, I'm thinking of hiring a maid. I'm currently not working with a almost 2yr old son. But however I might be going back to workforce some day n we are also planning for a 2nd kid.
It's gonna be my 1st time employing a maid (prev I had maid but is hired by my mom) so I'm quite clueless n hesitant. I'm staying in East so any recommendations of agents?? Thanks

posh

I think if maid wants to complain, she can do so because they need proper accomodation ie a room to sleep, not common living hall.

JP12

My first time employing a maid. Contacted an agency in Beauty world. I've been waiting for the Philippine maid to come since 1 month ago! They say having problem with immigration there. Don't allow them to come over. Waiting and waiting so long..
Also wan to ask any one of u.. if u are planning to go back to work and u have a baby and maid alone at home, where do u send them to? My in-laws are not here w us and can't send to my parents' plc.
Quite hard..since u cant trust a new maid at all. So, thinking how I do work this out. No 1 to help out also..

jaybaobei

My first time employing a maid. Contacted an agency in Beauty world. I've been waiting for the Philippine maid to come since 1 month ago! They say having problem with immigration there. Don't allow them to come over. Waiting and waiting so long..
Also wan to ask any one of u.. if u are planning to go back to work and u have a baby and maid alone at home, where do u send them to? My in-laws are not here w us and can't send to my parents' plc.
Quite hard..since u cant trust a new maid at all. So, thinking how I do work this out. No 1 to help out also..
hv u consider to put yr bb with those auntie nanny staying near u? really not safe to entrust yr bb with new maid.
how about infant care or playgroup? rather than putting yr dear bb with unfamiliar person & might nt know if the maid will abuse yr bb.
for me, i will not take this risk as i hv read alot of maid abusing bb.... :(

pipilili

I like this forum too - a one stop shop for everything we need to know about MAIDS!!

I am a first timer hiring maid too. I just selected my Indon maid (primarily b/c I didnt want to have maids who are allowed off days so Fillipino maids are out for me, secondly, I can speak conversational Malays so Indon maids may not be a bad idea as well)

I just chose my maid from one of the agency in Beauty World Centre last weekend. After hearing there may be a hike in the levy/agency fees/salary of maid after 1st April, I decided to select my maid before April. (but who knows, maybe those who select maid after April pay lesser levy???)

I think reputable agency is important. Reputable does not equal to heavily advertised. Reputable as in they have alot of customers, and they do not have demerit points. (can check from MOM website) Why is it impt? If they have a steady stream of customers - that means they have not too bad maids. Reputable is good too cos they will be afraid that you tarnish their image. And very importantly - choose one which is in the mkt for a long time...

At the end of the day - it's also part of our LUCK. If you are lucky, you get a good maid, if you are unlucky, good luck! I hope my maid, who is coming in Jun is a good one cos I am going to entrust my bb under her care while I am away at work. (in my mum's pl) Have been praying everyday for a good maid...God bless me..

noelsmum

I am a first timer hiring maid too. I just selected my Indon maid (primarily b/c I didnt want to have maids who are allowed off days so Fillipino maids are out for me, secondly, I can speak conversational Malays so Indon maids may not be a bad idea as well)
Have you interviewed your helper in person? And not questioning your judgement. But have you considered that helpers can get really stressed without off days. Even you and me need days off from work. Your helper would need the social interaction with her peers just like us.

pipilili

noelsmum

Totally aware how maids can get stressed up not talking to their countrymen or someone from the same hometown. I am getting 2 Indon maids....so they can chit chat with each other. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

Also, during weekends, we would want to take care and play with our bb so once the maids finished her daily duties, she can take a break, or nap...We do not want to tire our maids out.

As for interacting with other Indon maids...We have a few Indon maids in my neighbourhood....so she should be fine and will not go bersek not talking. I know it can be quite demanding not talking for one day...cos I don't think I can dun talk and do my work for 1 whole day, that's worst than going to jail. Hee hee. Btw, I speak Malay too...and I like to talk so I will talk to her...more interaction is also good b/w employers & employees...just like corporate world. More importantly, I think it's impt my maid calls home(indo) so I will her a phone card per mth to call home. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

Our family has hired maids of most nationality before, so far all our maids are ok with our family and do finishes their contract. I am a first timer hiring maids, but I think should be ok cos my mum can guide me along the way...

Do you have a maid now? Which nationality?

noelsmum

Do you have a maid now? Which nationality?
We hired a filipina. This is the first time we hired one but I've always had a helper in my parents' home. We're Singaporeans but we work in HK. In HK, its mandatory to give helpers a day off every Sunday. It's fine for us. We want her to go out and have a relaxing day and be recharged when she gets back to my home. She's normally out of our home at 9.30 am and back before 10pm.

pipilili

noelsmum,
Thanks for sharing. I like Fillipino maids too cos they speak english afterall. But since I am a little particular about the off day, I chose Indon.

My bro hired a Fillipino maid but she doesn't go out on off days. The maid wanted to earn more money to send back to her 4 children. But the FDW rules just changed recently ...

All MTBS hiring maids -
Heard that starting today, there is going to be a agency fees hike for those employing maids...

I was also reading this weblink earlier. just sharing with you guys - Employment Agent - Ministry of Manpower

jaybaobei

Bcos of the hike in their salary, we oso dare nt change our maid even they are terrible & work slacked down.

Like now, i want to change my maid but my agent say the salary for new maid is about 480-500. such a huge increase compared to my current one who is only 370.

now i hv to face her everyday...

bless me...:wong19:

pipilili

jaybaobei,

I only heard that agency fees hike , but din hear abt maid's salary hike. But anyway not surprising abt the maid's salary hike too cos SG pay too little for maid....WHY? Cos our govt make us pay more levy compared to neighbouring ctries.

Seriously I dun mind paying less levy and topping it up as maid's pay. $170-265 on top of maid's salary...I am sure maid will be happier to work for SGeans.

zjjx

hi, all, want to transfer my current maid, can settle all the procedures at MOM website? how to do and what's the thing need to take note? thanks for the assistance.

Katharina

Hi Mummies, I am currently working with maid employment agency located at Sengkang as a customer service consultant. If you are interested to know more, please feel free to get in touch with me (Merlina Chia) at 98954262.

pipilili

My mum's maid just arrived on Sat.

My mum wasn't too strict with the Indon maid, just told her to cleanup the house and ask her to do her work slowly and well. Mum also told her she will need to learn cooking, etc. Mum said to Indon maid once she can run the household w/o mum worrying, she will give her a pay rise.

So far, maid is ok. Agency also conveyed to her, in front of us, that she cannot steal food to eat and money in the house. No major faults yet but I am still observing...too soon to judge.

pipilili

maid agency.jpgmaid agency2.jpg

For those of you who are hiring Indon maids, you might have read today's newspaper. If your agency happen to be one of them, do call them up and check with your agency.

I can't believe agency are also conspiring to earn $$$. That's so unethical!

ping26

Bcos of the hike in their salary, we oso dare nt change our maid even they are terrible & work slacked down.

Like now, i want to change my maid but my agent say the salary for new maid is about 480-500. such a huge increase compared to my current one who is only 370.

now i hv to face her everyday...

bless me...:wong19:
Just let you know that, the current pay for fresh Indo maids is not $450-500 as your agent would like you to believe. My sis went to a few agencies recently. New indo maid salary without experience is abt $400-420. Surprisingly, Filipino pay quoted is not USD400. Pay is lower that of fresh Indo maids. Guess you just have to avoid those agencies which are colluding to fix maid pay and maximise their profits.

BTW Nora Employment is also marketed as Swift Arrow Maid.