If born with weight 2.5kg, @37 weeks - need to stay in ICU?

Ning

Does anyone know from what weight onwards that there is no need to stay in ICU?

37 weeks is already considered full term, i have yet to give birth but i wonder...
currently scan shows that my bb is only 2.4kg in the tummy now, i wonder if at this moment, i give birth, does my bb need to stay in ICU?

comments?

Phoebii Cheng

I think no need....tht time my son was in ICU, but he was 3kg and full term bb too....but cos' when he was born he was not breathing well cos' I had emergency c-sec

But if yours is full term and deliver as per nomal should not be in ICU.....

apollo

dont nd, cos 37th week only can consider as full term and 2.4kg is definitely a good weight for a nb. ds was ard 2.3-2.4kg when i was 37w5d and i gave birth at 38w3d and his birth weight was 2.9kg =)

autumn82

If I did not rem wrongly, the pd told me when I just delivered, if baby is not breathing well or weight lesser than 2kg, then have to stay in hospital.

For myself, I delivered both kids at 36 & 37 weeks respectively. Belle was 2.1kg & Iggy was 2.85kg. Both of them went home with me. :)

kathtan

For KKH, if baby below 2kg and less than 30 weeks, must stay in NICU to observe. My twins were discharged only when they reach 2kg and after 35 weeks. Stayed for more than 1 mth in NICU. My 1st born was delivered in Gleneagles at 2.4kg at 32 weeks, he only stayed in NICU for 5 days as paed wanted to observe him. Similarly there, i was told once you are above 2kg or 35 weeks, you can be discharged. So it means pte hospital more lenient than govt hosp.:wespinny:

J

justforgags

my newborn nephew was born 3 weeks ago at a gestation of 36 weeks n 3 days with a weight of 2.1kg n was discharge 2 days later with mummy but pd set an appt 2 weeks later to chk if baby grow well n thank god he put on tremondously at 2.540kg 2 weeks later.

Renzie

Don't need to worry.

My baby came out 2.1kg at 37 weeks. Was discharged with me the next day. However before we left, they took an urine sample from her to make sure that there's nothing with her, just genetic reasons hence she came out small. Made an appointment 1 week later to go back for the test results. Test results all clear.

Next appointment is at 3 months just to make sure that she's growing well etc. She had put on about 1.3-1.4 kg in 1 month. *phew*

I was in KKH subsidised ward, if that helps.

snowbear

Dun need. My darling was born at 37wks - that's considered full-term - at 2.43kg. Went home with me when I was discharged. :)

suett

Don't worry. 37 weeks is full term. Should not need ICU regardless of weight. My elder son was born at 36 weeks at 2.1kg. Normal discharge 3 days later at 1.9kg. Gynae not worried when still in stomache. Paedi not worried at all when born. He is now active 3 year old.

dflora

My first boy was born at exactly 36 weeks and weighed 2.04kg. He was the smallest baby in the nursery but thankfully he need not stay in NICU cause he is breathing properly... Went home with me after 3 days.

Now he is an active 15 months old toddler, weighing 11.5kg and taller than his peers...

So dont worry.

joelynlee80

I think no need.

Cos i c-section due to placenta low. I give birth my boy on week 36+, 1 more day to 37 weeks and my boy is 3.115kg.

But he need to stayed in NICU due to the water go into his lung. He staying inide for 2 days.

So dun worry so much, normal birth no this issue.

My baby was born 8 months and weigh 2.1 but she was never incubated or got into icu.

Maybe if your baby is in danger doctors would definitely put her in icu

bunnybaby

I am currently 35 weeks + and baby didnt grow much from 33 weeks and at 35 weeks +, only weigh 2 kg. I have been crying for days.... I am so worried that the baby will have problems..... I read that this is called Intrauterine Growth Restriction and the baby may appear skinny with bigger head and smaller body.... I'd like to hear from others who have similar experience? Til now, my gynae only told me to eat more and didn't tell me about possibility of having to induce earlier or whatsoever... I am so so sad...

Moment

Gal don't worry. My bb is induced at wk 37 due to low birth wgt. Doc said bb has slowed down on growing so suggested to induce. Nw my bb is perfectly fine growing well. Don't stress up, cos it wil affect u greatly. Relax n eat well.
I am currently 35 weeks + and baby didnt grow much from 33 weeks and at 35 weeks +, only weigh 2 kg. I have been crying for days.... I am so worried that the baby will have problems..... I read that this is called Intrauterine Growth Restriction and the baby may appear skinny with bigger head and smaller body.... I'd like to hear from others who have similar experience? Til now, my gynae only told me to eat more and didn't tell me about possibility of having to induce earlier or whatsoever... I am so so sad...

bunnybaby

Moment : Thanks dear your assurance is very comforting . The thought of a tiny baby with complications is very scary n devastating at this point. We should really set up a IUGR moms support group :) by the way what was the weight of your baby when induced? Before week 37 ?

Moment

his wgt is 2.35kg. induced at wk37.

Moment : Thanks dear your assurance is very comforting . The thought of a tiny baby with complications is very scary n devastating at this point. We should really set up a IUGR moms support group :) by the way what was the weight of your baby when induced? Before week 37 ?

Gem2505

i delivered my girl at 36w+5d coz doc say waterbag level low. induced 2X but no dialtion at all. end up, i requested for C sect.. doc still wanna induce 1 more time and say my bb so small, natural birth v easy. but i didnt want to wait anymore.
the whole delivery ( from 1st induce till 2nd induce till i decide for c sect ) was 33hours.

delivered my girl on the first day of CNY via C sect, ( yes, i stayed in hospital during reunion dinner, sobs ), she was weighing at 2.05kg only. on the day of discharge, she was only 1.9kg and she goes home with me. just that the jaundice level alil high but dont need to hospitalize. she's almost 9mths now, still underweight, but she's active and smart! crawling like a snake and able to hold onto something n stand on her own. =D

weight isnt a big concern. healthy is good enough.