When do you start buying baby stuff?

mommysnake

Hi everyone..

Im new here, seeking for some advise from experienced mommies outhere.

Im currently 6months pregnant with my first.:)

Would like to know :

- When do u start buying all the necessary stuff for the baby.(during the final month or after birth)
- What are the important things we need to buy first ( eg, diapers, milk bottles, clothes, baby cot,etc..)

I hope someone can list down some of the necessary items we need to get so we have a better idea what to buy and work within our budget.

I know some of my questions here may have been posted by others before but i only managed to check out some threads randomly on this forum and i couldnt find the informations i need.

Hope to get some advise here. THANKS.:tsmile:

Last edited:

STmummy

Now should be a right time to buy, since it's GSS!
Have fun shopping!!

baby bottle cleanser
Baby bath (J&J top to toe wash)
Baby Clothes detergent
Baby clothes (Fox, cotton on, kiddy palace, mothercare - ON SALE)
Baby Cot
Breast Pump
Baby Bath Tub (depends on which hospital you going, Mount A provides free bath tub)
Olive Oil or baby oil for cradle cap
baby powder (J&J)
Baby Sling
Baby's handkerchief
bib
swaddle blanket
Bottle & nipple brush
Bottle Thermal bag (Avent)
Car Seat
cotton balls (for cleaning bottom)
diaper rash cream
diapers (new born & Size S)
Feeding chair
hair brush
hats
Lamp (Ikea) – for night feeding
mattress cover
Mattress for cot
Milk Bottles
nail clipper
Pails (for baby clothes & bottles)
playmat
portable cot sheet
powder container
socks (0-6 months)
Steam Sterilizer for bottles
Teats (2 months) M size
Teether (3 months +)
Towels
wet wipes (Big Pack)
wet wipes (Small Pack)
Disposable Breast pads
Breastfeeding bras
changing mat (ikea)
Changing Table with cabinet
baby bolster
Bath Thermometer (optional)
drinking cup (6 months +)
Pacifier (0-5 months)
Stroller (can buy after birth)
Jig saw puzzle mat

lekdao

Hi

Congratulation! & welcome to the forum.

- When do you start buying all the necessary stuff for the baby.(during the final month or after birth)

A lot ladues start buying at start of 2nd trimester because some people's leg get tired/sore easily after a short walking. ... ... I started my window shopping after my 2nd trimester ended, i listed the item where to get and get my hubby to get during the last trimester if i am too lazy to go out. ... ... I dont think is a good idea to get stuff during the final month coz you need to wash/clean up the stuffs unless you got people to help you to do it.

- What are the important things we need to buy first ( eg, diapers, milk bottles, clothes, baby cot,etc..)

Get things that you need to wash, such as: -
- Milk bottles
- Bottles Sterilizer, it includes bottles, brush, teats, pacifier (if you intend to use)
- Baby clothing (Check if there is any hand down from friends or relatives etc)
- Cloth diaper (if you intend to use)
- Mitten & Bootie
- baby shower towel
- blanket (wrap the baby when)
- Handkerchief
- bibs
- baby cot, includes mattress, mattress cover (Check any hand down. if there is promotion can buy early and deliver when is nearer to your due date)

- Bottle cleanser
- baby clothing detergent
- baby sling (buy early if you intend to use during confinement)
- Shower accessories (eg. shower gel, Ru yi oil etc)
- finger nail Scissors (get those short blade with round tip scissors)
- soft brush / comb
- cotton bud/ball
- wet wipes
- diaper rashes cream (desitin - Light blue color)
- Stroller (can get after your confinement, unless you wanna use during confinement)
- breast pad (if u r breastfeeding)
- breastfeeding bra

I did not get bath tub coz hospital provided.

Below is the 1 stop station where you can buy most of the things:-

Cheong Choon Store
Blk 34 #03-132
Upper Cross Street
Singapore 050034
Tel: 6532 3855 (Call during office hr, after office hr alot of customer and will not answer phone).
Fax: 6532 7816
(Close on Sunday)

Baby's Kingdom
83 Kakit Bukit Ave 1
Shun Li Industrial Park
Singapore 417954
Tel: 6547 1677
Fax: 6547 1805

Last edited:

mommysnake

Great!Thanks for the list, ladies..yes,there are very helpful.:)
I'm gonna print tis out and put it in my shopping list.

@ lekdao, thanks for the recommendation..will check out the 2 places.

Thank u so much for sharing..:) woww! This is a wonderful forum.I love it!.;) xoxo

jessmummy

hello.. i started shopping during sales period and i was roughly 6 1/2 mths then.. its good to take opportunity of sales and knock off some dollars :)
apart from that i got the necessities as and when i find the deals and need because i know during final month and after birth its going to be hectic, especially with the large tummy i dont feel like going out for long or at all..

apart from that it's good to look around first online or when you're out so you can read up reviews and find out what's best for you and the baby, what fits your budget most :)

hths!

mommysnake

Good tips, point noted.I've been surfing the net to find more information on wat to buy, looking for warehouse sales and great deals/offers.I wish my friends can pass down some baby stuff to me bcos I heard from many thats its better for the baby and it will save some money too, I got some used baby clothes from a friend and they look pretty new..however, not many of my frds are mothers and my 2sisters are unmarried.

Btw..do u think its better to get a baby cot or bed? They say babies grow fast but how long can the baby sleep in a baby cot? :) any advise wil be great.thks.;)

Last edited:

jessmummy

i bought baby cot, but my cot is one of the larger sized one which can sleep till 4years old with the sides down. didnt want the baby to sleep w me because i'm a bad sleeper i roll alot :p
but some mummies support the playpen/mattress on floor/sarong.. i think it depends what you feel is best and that your place has enough space and your budget.

Carlisle

Now should be a right time to buy, since it's GSS!
Have fun shopping!!

baby bottle cleanser
Baby bath (J&J top to toe wash)
Baby Clothes detergent
Baby clothes (Fox, cotton on, kiddy palace, mothercare - ON SALE)
Baby Cot
Breast Pump
Baby Bath Tub (depends on which hospital you going, Mount A provides free bath tub)
Olive Oil or baby oil for cradle cap
baby powder (J&J)
Baby Sling
Baby's handkerchief
bib
swaddle blanket
Bottle & nipple brush
Bottle Thermal bag (Avent)
Car Seat
cotton balls (for cleaning bottom)
diaper rash cream
diapers (new born & Size S)
Feeding chair
hair brush
hats
Lamp (Ikea) – for night feeding
mattress cover
Mattress for cot
Milk Bottles
nail clipper
Pails (for baby clothes & bottles)
playmat
portable cot sheet
powder container
socks (0-6 months)
Steam Sterilizer for bottles
Teats (2 months) M size
Teether (3 months +)
Towels
wet wipes (Big Pack)
wet wipes (Small Pack)
Disposable Breast pads
Breastfeeding bras
changing mat (ikea)
Changing Table with cabinet
baby bolster
Bath Thermometer (optional)
drinking cup (6 months +)
Pacifier (0-5 months)
Stroller (can buy after birth)
Jig saw puzzle mat

My sister is 9 months pregnant, and i think this list will help them...thank you

mommysnake

i bought baby cot, but my cot is one of the larger sized one which can sleep till 4years old with the sides down. didnt want the baby to sleep w me because i'm a bad sleeper i roll alot :p
but some mummies support the playpen/mattress on floor/sarong.. i think it depends what you feel is best and that your place has enough space and your budget.
Yea..it may be a good idea getting a bigger cot, thanks for sharing..:)

lyra

Is bottle warmer and steam sterilizer necessary? If u have bought them, are they very useful? I'm considering whether to get them...

lekdao

Is bottle warmer and steam sterilizer necessary? If u have bought them, are they very useful? I'm considering whether to get them...

I bought the milk bottle sterilizer which save me alot of work, after washing the bottles put into the sterilizer and steam it (dun need to keep an eye on the stove while boiling). if u r using the traditional way, get a brand new pot to boil the bottles.

i find food warmer is not necessary. whenever i bring my kids out, i bring a flask of hot water and cup to warm up the expressed breasdmilk. For the food (porridge), after cook i put into a thermal mug/pot and bring it out, the food can keep warm for abt 4-5 hrs w/o opening it.

lyra

I bought the milk bottle sterilizer which save me alot of work, after washing the bottles put into the sterilizer and steam it (dun need to keep an eye on the stove while boiling). if u r using the traditional way, get a brand new pot to boil the bottles.

i find food warmer is not necessary. whenever i bring my kids out, i bring a flask of hot water and cup to warm up the expressed breasdmilk. For the food (porridge), after cook i put into a thermal mug/pot and bring it out, the food can keep warm for abt 4-5 hrs w/o opening it.
Thnx for the advice! Hmm a new pot is definitely cheaper than steam sterilizer. Will discuss w hubby n MIL whether we need a sterilizer coz MIL will be taking care of baby.

Tiggee

Thnx for the advice! Hmm a new pot is definitely cheaper than steam sterilizer. Will discuss w hubby n MIL whether we need a sterilizer coz MIL will be taking care of baby.
1 thing about boiling bottles is that you have to keep an eye on them cos if they are over boiled, they may melt. I would still recommend a sterilizer.

Tiggee

This a list i copied from somewhere in the forum quite some time ago.
i found it relatively useful, so wanted to share with the 1st time mummies!
P.s. the numbers next to the items are just a rough gauge of how many to buy.

1 Romper (day wear)*
"Short-sleeved top*
Long-sleeved top*
Pants*
Romper (day)"
Rompers are one piece wear for baby. They have day and nite wear. Day wear is short sleeve without leggings; pull over through the head; no bottons in front, just at the bottom. Nite wear is long sleeve with leggings that covers the feet, buttons in front. I recommend rompers to the 2 piece conventional wear because baby cannot untuck when they move about. Also recommend that you get this from Mothercare as their material is thicker; good for baby sleeping in air-con room. More expensive but better quality.

2 Romper (nite wear) 3~6

3 Mittens 6 sets
Try not to go for the conventional clothe mittens. Go for knit material (like our T-shirt material); these have better grip at the wrist. Babies tend to wipe their face with their hands a lot, so mittens tend to smell after awhile. Need to change them quite often. But dont't buy too many cos most parents only allow their babies to wear mittens in the 1st 2 months. After that, they'll "introduce" the hands to the baby.

4 Booties 3 sets
You can either buy booties (again dont't go for the conventional clothe material) or buy baby socks.

5 Hat / cap 1
Babies head grow pretty fast. So dont’t buy too many.

6 Handkerchief 2 dozens
Need quite a lot of hankies for milk feeding, cleaning, saliva,….etc. Not too big ones or they will be too overwhelming for the baby.

7 Towels 6
For drying the baby after bath. Size : about the size we adults use for shower. Also good for blocking baby cot from air con.

8 Cotton buds 1 box
For cleaning the outer ear after bath.

9 Cotton balls (sterilized) 2~3 packs
For cleaning baby's face/ eyes before bath & for cleaning baby's buttock after poo poo. For hardworking mummy, more economical to buy the cotton sheets in rolls. Cut them up into small pieces for use.

10 Baby bath tub 1
Baby outgrow small ones very quickly. You may want to consider getting a bigger one.

11 Baby small "tub" 1
You'll need a small container to put water for cleaning his face or buttock after his poo poo. Size 20~25cm diameter.

12 Baby shower lotion 1 small bottle
M. Alvernia use Johnson (blue bottle). Buy a small bottle becos you'll only use 2 drops a day. Also you wouldn't know if your baby is allergic to the brand, so it's best to buy a small bottle for testing first. Hospitals do not use shampoo for the hair in the initial month……..it's up to you if you want to buy a baby shampoo.

13 Baby shampoo 1 small bottle

14 Baby powder 1 small bottle
I've heard that powder may cause XXXX. Up to you to believe.

15 Baby powder container with applicator 1
Only if you plan to use baby powder on your baby. Some go for the cotton applicator while others go for sponge like applicator (something like a ladies' compact powder applicator). Cotton applicator are big and probably good for big surface like the buttock. Sponge like applicator are smaller and good to apply in defined area like under the neck.....not make the powering process too powdery. Understand?
Baby oil 1

16 Woodwards Gripe water 1 bottle
This is not a form of medication. Good for colic babies / getting rid of wind.

17 Ru Yi Oil 1 bottle
Get this from any Chinese medicinal shop. Good for getting rid of wind in baby's tummy.

18 Drapolene Cream 1
Good for preventing nappy rash. You may want to ask your doctor for recommendation.

19 Changing mat 1
Good for laying the baby on it for changing after bath, poo poo,….etc.

20 Wet wipes 2~3 packs
Recommended brand : Pigeon. New parents need a lot for cleaning the poo poo. Buy some big packs and some small packs. Small packs are good for putting in the baby bag when bringing baby out……less bulky. If you plan to buy other brands, make sure they do not contain other "chemicals" / moisturiser because you wouldn't know how well your baby takes to them. I've tried other brands, some are too moist while others do not have good materials.

21 Disposable Diapers 1 pack
For new parents, go for Pampers (New born size). Do not buy too many, babies out grow them very quickly.

22 "Nappies / safety pins /nappy liners" 1 dozen "
Nappy liners 2 box (100s)" If you do not plan to let your baby use nappies, dont't buy too many of this. Nappies can be used as pillow, blankets, wrap,….etc. But if you plan to use nappies, get 3 dozens. And if you plan to use nappies, get nappy liners as well.

23 Receiving blanket 1 - provided by hospital
You'll need this to wrap your baby in during discharge. Nowdays, these blankets comes with a hood. Also good for wrapping your baby when bringing him out. (some hospital provide,one is more than enough)

24 Blanket 1
Thermal blanket recommended. These blankets have holes and prevents suffocation. More expensive though.

25 Baby cot & mattress 1
There are a lot of good cot in the market. Shop at your preference. (Robinson have good selection) Recommend that you buy one that can allow the baby to sleep till he/she is quite old. Convert to toddler bed. Get a relative big one, dont't stinge on a small cot. Make sure you can operate the barrier with one hand. Remember, there may be times when you have to carry the baby in one hand and adjust the barrier with the other.

26 Baby bumper 1 set
These are thin cushion we lay within and around the cot to prevent the baby from hitting against the baby cot wood or jamming his legs / hands between the baby cot bars. I'd suggest that you get the 1 piece baby bumper. These have lesser "excess" point and lowers the risk of the baby jamming his/her hands or legs between the bars.

27 Pillow & pillow case/ Bolster & bolster case 1
Some fold a nappy as pillow. Babies do not know how to use a bolster as yet. Get 2 pillow case if you're getting a pillow.

28 Bed sheet 2
Get 2 for change.

29 Mattress protector 1
Can get this from Robinson. If you dont't have a mattress protector, the mattress will be soiled once the baby puke puke on it.

30 Comb / brush 1
M. Alvernia use a soft brush

31 Nail cutter & nail file 1
There are files and nail cutters for baby….smaller version.

32 Baby monitor 1
You'll need this "walkie talkie" to monitor your baby if you are in another room.

33 Pacifier 1*
Use the same brand as your bottle nipple. Note, they come in different shapes and size.

34 Pacifier chain 1

35 Bottles (2 short + 6 tall)
Recommended brand : Nuk. They have air system nipple. Size : 0~6 mths (milk). You may want to buy nipples with smaller hole for the short bottle for water. Advise : get the same brand for the bottle and nipple; they fit better. The number of bottles you get depends on how often you want to wash the bottle. The fewer bottles you have, the higher your washing and sterilizing frequency. Some babies wake up very often at nite for feed..........if you do not have enough bottles, you'll end up having to wash bottles in the middle of the nite. But trust me, by then sleep became a scarce thing (low supply, high demand) so you'll gladly invest in more bottles to save the trouble and to trade for more sleep. (i'm using piegon brand... 3big, 2 small) They will use the small bottle (4oz = 120ml) for a few months at least)

36 Sterilizer 1
Recommended brand : Nuk. Whatever brand you get, make sure the bottles fit in in terms of height and width. I'm using Piegon electric sterlilzer… so far so good… very convenient!

37 Baby cloth detergent 1
Recommended brand : Kodomo. Nappy detergent (Napisan at NTUC)
Buckets with lids 1
Basket for baby laundry 1

38 Baby dish washing detergent 1
They are supposedly milder than the normal dish washing detergent.

39 Baby bottle brush & sponge 1
Practice having a separate washing sponge for baby's utensil. Do not use the dish washing sponge for our oily dishes.

40 Ear Thermometer 1
For babies & toddlers. Adult ones may be too big.

41 Baby bag 1(neverfull)
Any bag will do, so long as they are big enough. Recommend that you get something that is easy to carry for adult, eg harver sack.

42 Thermal flask 1*
For putting hot water when bringing the baby out

43 Water container for cool water 1*
For putting cool water when bringing the baby out

44 Milk powder container 1*
For putting milk powder when bringing the baby out. You wouldn't want to bring the whole can.
Warmer cum carrier bag 1
Bags/milk bottles to store expressed breastmilk

45 Sarong / cushions 1 (MIM sling)
Optional. If you plan to use the sarong, buy big cushions to lay under the sarong……just in case it snaps or the baby falls out.

46 Bouncer 1
Optional. Some babies like to be rocked a lot. I've explained that babies in general like to be rocked because that gives them the feeling that they are still in the mummy's tummy and mummy is "on the move".

47 Stroller 1
A definite must but it can come later. Make sure the stroller have more "pivot" angle…..sitting, lying position.

48 Car Seat 1
With the new ruling, you'll need this when you drive your baby home from the hospital. Make sure your car seat has pivot angles. Babies lie, toddler sit.
Stair/door gates - ikea
Rubber protectors for bedroom doors
Protectors for sharp corners
Highchair
Walker
Playpen - latido $150
Rattle
Baby gym

49 Changing Table 1 - no
Optional. But they grow out it quickly. You'll soon find that bathing baby at ground level is more fun and much safer. But after C-section, a changing table is good cos mummy need not bend to change / bath baby. But I feel it's only good for the first 2 months. We had one but we kept it after 2 months.

50 Potty 1
Not so soon but some nannies potty train their babies early.

51 Head/neck cushion 1
Babies neck will only firm after 3 mths. So you might want to get a head / neck cushion for the stroller, bouncer or car seat.

52 Black, white and red 1
Optional. Toys / charts that are black white or red captures your babies attention. Their vision are not very good in the first few months and these colours help.

53 Nite light 1
Optional. You might want to have a little light in the room at nite to watch your baby.

54 Music 1
Optional. Soothing music helps baby to sleep better……..may not work for all though. Mothercare have some selection.

55 Camera / film 1
You'll need this to capture some shots at the hospital or at home. Always have them handy.

56 Mosquito net 1
Optional.

57 Baby mobile 1
Optional. Babies only learn how to appreciate / look at this toy display after 2 months.

58 Milk powder
Depending on what your doctor / hospital recommend.

59 Basket 1
This basket is to put all the baby essentials like diapers, powder, ru yi oil, wet wipes, cotton buds / balls,…..things that will come in handy for a clean up. dont't have to run from corner to corner to grap these things. We may be changing our baby on the master bed, on her baby cot, in another room,...etc. So it's more convenient to put her essentials in a basket or carrier instead of leaving the baby on the bed and running out to get the things elsewhere. Mothercare sells this plastic box that looks like a huge toolbox. Very handy. Alternatively you can just make use of other plastic box (from Toyogo) with lid and handle or use a cane / rattan basket, they work as well.

60 Drawers (prefer with wheels) 1 - ikea/ntuc*
Get a plastic drawer or empty some of your drawers for baby's stuffs. We didn't get these drawers, we empty some of our drawers to make way for baby stuffs.
Baby carrier/ sling

61 Sterilizing cotton 14 pieces
Your hospital may provide this at discharge. Need this for cleaning the babies' belly button before the umbilical cord falls off.
Sterile container for cord spirit
Cord spirit

62 Breast pump - $400
Optional. Depending how well mummy cope with breast feeding. But for a more hassle free pump, I'd recommend you get a battery operated one. Have some spare batteries as well.

63 Hanger (umbrella) 2-3
Cos baby stuffs are small, it's good to get an "umbrella" like hanger with a lot of cloth packs on it to hang his little mittens / booties / hankies for drying.

64 Ziploc bags 1 box - daiso
I have the habit of putting her things in ziploc bag esp when going out. Put her clean and dry cloths in the ziploc bag before putting them in the baby bag. Prevent wetting every thing should your water spill in the bag. Got it?

65 Plastic sheet 1
Optional. Some mummies are afraid their waterbag may burst in the middle of the nite and wet the masterbed mattress (master bed mattress is expensive to replace). So they'll buy a plastic sheet to lay on the mattress to protect……….just in case. I think Mothercare / Guardian sell them. Only need this closing to the end of pregnancy.

For the mummy
1 Breast pad 1 pack
2 Front opening nite dress 2
3 Disposable maternity panty a few packs*
4 Sanitary napkins
5 Slippers 1 pair
6 Dress at discharge 1
7 Sweater 1 May be cold……….with all that pain
8 Binder 1 Your doctor will advise
9 Admission letter / doc
Anti Stretchmark cream
Nursing bras
Nipple cream for crack nipples
Pails for mum’s bathing and face cleansing.
Herbal bags for bath

For the baby at discharge
1 Mittens & booties 2 sets
2 Discharge apparel 1 set Romper + hat
3 Receiving blanket 1
4 Diaper 1 pack some hospitals do not provide diaper. You'll have to check.

For the daddy (if staying in hospital)
1 Camera 1 Make sure it's loaded with memary cards and battery
2 Handphone / pager You'll have a lot to call to announce the good news.
3 Change of clothes
4 Slippers

Note : Every baby is unique. So some things may apply while others dont't. You'll learn as you go along. Some recommended places for shopping are
Robinsons, Kiddy Palace & Mothercare. Happy parenting……………….

babycar

I think before the last month, about 7-8mons.. By this time, you're more aware of the baby's gender thus helping you decide on what colors or gender-related stuffs to be bought.

mommysnake

Thanks tiggee for the list and babycar for ur advise..:) I appreciate everyone for replying this thread, at least now i have a better idea of the items to get..:Dancing_wub:

@ tiggee, any good brand of bottle sterilizer to recommend? :)

Tiggee

Thanks tiggee for the list and babycar for ur advise..:) I appreciate everyone for replying this thread, at least now i have a better idea of the items to get..:Dancing_wub:

@ tiggee, any good brand of bottle sterilizer to recommend? :)
Sterilizer, I bought avent. So far reviews I have read ain't bad. Can fit most bottles other than tommee tippee if I'm not wrong.